Founded in 1901 through a merger of four oat mills, the Quaker Oats Company remains one of the larger companies in the United States. Now a subsidiary of PepsiCo, the food manufacturing company offers a variety of jobs dedicated to the making and selling of diverse product lines.
Facts About Working at Quaker Oats
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Quaker Oats?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Customer Service Representative, Administrative Assistant, General Laborer, Delivery Driver, Parts Technician, Maintenance Mechanic, Truck Hiker, Merchandiser, Forklift Operator, Warehouse Person, Production Mechanic, Business Analyst, Financial Analyst, Human Resource Manager
Quaker Oats Job Opportunities
With positions typically focused on production of product, most entry-level associates find roles working in warehouses, manufacturing, and delivery. Additionally, workers may find diverse opportunities working in customer service, sales, and distribution. Since the company acts as a subsidiary of the larger PepsiCo, further opportunities may exist throughout the company structure. Employees with Quaker Oats also indicate occasion for advancement, as the company prefers to promote from within for supervisor and managerial positions when possible.
Entry-level workers must display the ability to work in team environments, show dedication, exhibit focus, and possess the ability to multitask. Employees may work both part- and full-time shifts in order to meet daily operations goals and should demonstrate the ability to work flexible schedules, as most manufacturing plants may operate both day and night, with weekend hours, as well. On-the-job trainings instill necessary skills to entry-level workers; however, any previous experience may prove beneficial during the application process. Workers may need to pass various background checks and drug screenings in order to gain employment.
Positions and Salary Information for Quaker Oats
While most positions remain satisfied by minimal hiring requirements, jobs like driver may necessitate additional certifications, such as possession of Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDL). Entry-level applicants must stand at least 18 years of age in order to apply and should possess high school diplomas. The following positions persist as the most frequently available jobs with the manufacturing company:
Customer Service/Sales Associate
- A customer service or sales associate maintains positive customer relationships by responding to inquiries related to products, sales, and potential problems.
- Employees must regularly demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, data-entry adeptness, and exemplary product knowledge.
- Other duties may include interacting with distributors, collecting necessary payments, and attending appropriate trainings.
- Customer service associates typically earn around $16.00 an hour.
- Responsible for delivering products to a variety of distributors, drivers operate several types of vehicles, some of which require CDLs to run.
- Drivers may need to operate other equipment, such as fork lifts, pallet jacks, or hand trucks in order to assist in the loading and unloading of merchandise.
- Some drivers work as merchandisers handling smaller vehicles and performing additional responsibilities on site, such as filling shelves, building displays, and replacing stock as needed.
- A driver may earn a range of wages depending on position and hours worked, though most average an annual salary between $35,000 and $50,000 a year.
- Production associate generally refers to various roles in warehouse settings, such as laborers, sanitation workers, inspectors, and processing and packaging employees.
- A majority of warehouse workers need to display physical propensities for lifting, bending, and performing other repeated actions with regularity.
- The ability to operate various types of machinery and warehouse equipment may prove beneficial in the hiring process, though extensive trainings regularly take place to instill job-related skills.
- Production associates initially earn around $16.00 per hour.
Tips For Applying
The manufacturing company asks interested applicants to complete online skills questionnaires, followed by filling out applications via a web-based job portal. The process may take anywhere from fifteen minutes to half an hour. Applicants may expedite the process by gathering hiring materials in advance of initializing applications. Job seekers may also choose to upload resumes once completing the survey. Information should prove accurate, detailed as necessary, and focusing on related experience, if possible.
Most applicants receive confirmation of completion through email. Human resource managers typically contact preferred candidates within two weeks to set up initial interviews. Due to the sheer volume of applications received, not all job seekers should anticipate direct communication with the manufacturing leader. Applicants remain encouraged to apply for all positions matching candidate skill sets.
Benefits of Working at Quaker Oats
As a subsidiary of PepsiCo, the Quaker Oats Company offers employees extensive and complete job benefit packages. In addition to excellent pay rates and flexible scheduling, the company offers eligible employees exceptional medical benefits, including health insurance with dental, vision, and disability coverage. The food manufacturing company also offers comprehensive retirement benefits, including: enrollment in company-matched 401(k) retirement plans and company-funded pensions paid 100 percent by the company. Associates may enjoy other perks, including:
- Parental leave
- Car discount programs
- Education assistance
- Commuter reimbursement, and
- Discounts on cell phones
- Electronics and entertainment.
Further Information about Quaker Oats
The company website acts as an exceptional resource for health and meal-planning information. Quaker Oats offers recipes for every meal, including special dietary needs and for each part of typical meals, from main dishes to desserts. Additionally, parents may find helpful tips for picky eaters in the family as well as ways to incorporate kids as helpers in the kitchen. Interested visitors to the site may also find unique ways to incorporate oatmeal into everyday life, whether as a recipe or a craft item.