A popular culinary destination among tourists visiting major cities, Rainforest Cafe maintains more than two dozen restaurants in the United States. In addition to metropolitan locations, the franchised chain also operates in theme parks and shopping malls throughout the country, which helps job seekers easily find employment with the brand in both part-time and full-time roles.
Facts About Working at Rainforest Cafe
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Rainforest Cafe?)
Available Positions: Waiter, Waitress, Host, Hostess, Cook, Prep Cook, Dishwasher, Busser, Executive Sous Chef, Assistant General Manager, Front Manager, Restaurant Manager, General Manager, Kitchen Manager, Operations Manager, Maintenance Manager
Rainforest Cafe Job Opportunities
Overall, guest experiences rank as top priorities with the rainforest-themed chain. Each location mimics the jungles of Brazilian and African rainforests set to mood with ambient lighting, animal and rushing water soundtracks, and mock foliage mimicking typical flora found in rainforest environments. The fun and atmospheric job settings applicants encounter often serve as benefits of working for the nationwide chain. The opportunity also serves as a stepping stone for many entry-level workers looking for long-term careers in the culinary arts or hospitality industries.
Job seekers most readily find work as entry-level staff ringing up customers in the store gift shops and waiting tables. Part-time employment opportunities also exist in the restaurant kitchens and in front-of-house capacities. The average entry-level job requires dedicated and self-motivated attitudes. Workers need to arrive each day ready to complete assigned tasks in energetic, upbeat manners. The restaurant chain provides several career paths for associates who exhibit further desires to excel and succeed. Employees receive paid training upon hire and access experience-based pay scales and employment benefits over time.
Rainforest Cafe Positions and Salary Information
Applicants may begin submitting employment forms for Rainforest Cafe jobs at ages as young as 16. Some positions, such as various titles in the kitchen and managerial careers, may ask candidates stand at least 18 or older for employment consideration. Most locations hire on several staffs of entry-level workers to maintain operations and provide customer service. The most popular positions for hire include:
- Part of the allure of Rainforest Cafe locations includes the ability to buy commemorative merchandise.
- The company operates massive retail stores within each location. Job seekers looking for entry-level work may find employment in retail capacities like sales associate.
- The position involves typical retail responsibilities, including stocking shelves, ringing up purchases, assisting in sales, and maintaining orderly storefronts.
- A majority of sales associates work part-time for the restaurant chain.
- Pay scales begin around minimum wage, with increases often leading to $9.00 or $10.00 per hour.
- The restaurant chain imposes high standards and expects all employees to maintain excellent levels of customer service, especially servers.
- The entry-level position features regular and direct contact with the general public.
- Applicants who feel comfortable talking with and engaging customers with regularity make ideal fits for the job.
- Strong candidates may be personable, fun-loving, and motivated individuals.
- Workers should also possess attentions for detail, the ability to memorize orders, and attentive attitudes in order to cater to patron needs as requested.
- Primary tasks center on taking orders and bringing food and drinks to tables.
- Servers also assist in daily prep work, like folding napkins and cleaning silverware.
- Depending on the state, servers may make wages as low as $2.00 to $3.00 per hour but with the ability to earn tips.
- Some states may provide wage minimums around $8.00 an hour, with tips.
- Career-minded job seekers with aspirations for long-term employment in the restaurant industry may take interest in managerial opportunities with the popular franchise.
- Front manager, operations manager, maintenance manager, and kitchen manager jobs represent lower-level positions accessible by entry-level staff, while sous chef, restaurant manager, assistant general manager, and general manager job titles require advanced degrees or specific training and years of experience to assume.
- In addition to highly specific skill sets and determined attitudes, Rainforest Cafe reserves managerial positions for proven leaders able to organize daily tasks and perform administrative duties without provocation or guidance.
- Attention to customer needs must also come across as a high priority in applicants looking for work in management.
- Entry-level managerial careers often feature both part-time and full-time schedules and hourly pay beginning around $10.00 and rising to $14.00 or $15.00, depending on the specific title.
- Upper-level managers generally work full-time and access annual salary options regularly exceeding $50,000.
Tips For Applying
The lively atmospheres of Rainforest Cafe locations require animated and personable employees. Applicants need to demonstrate flair for showmanship while maintaining professional attitudes. Management also screens workers for self-motivated personalities. In order to access available jobs, workers must sign on to parent company, Landry’s Inc.’s, website and click on the careers tab. Locations provide paper employment forms to prospective associates, as well. Applicants must print legibly on physical copies of the required forms and/or review materials both online and on paper before submission.
Showing up to a desired location after turning in the necessary hiring forms remains an ideal way to show expressed interest in positions available and to check on the status of outstanding applications. Workers should dress in business-professional outfits when making in-person visits to inquire about job statuses. Phone calls and emails also serve as acceptable ways to reach out to hiring staff. In order to avoid becoming a nuisance, an applicant should ask the attending recruitment manager preferable times to call or visit. Busier hours may not serve as viable options due to managerial responsibilities superseding onboarding personnel decisions.
Benefits of Working at Rainforest Cafe
The prominent restaurant chain provides workers with eclectic, themed atmospheres built on teamwork and customer service. Positions available provide flexibility in scheduling, competitive base pay and salary options, complimentary or discounted uniforms, meal discounts, and access to work benefits packages. Qualified associates enjoy:
- Healthcare options
- Time off
- Life insurance, and
- 401(k) retirement plans.
Specific job benefits vary by position.
Further Details on Rainforest Cafe
The concept for Rainforest Cafe evolved out of an early prototype for a 1950s-style diner chain. Company founder Steven Schussler originally fell into bankruptcy after the vintage diner concept resulted as a bust. However, less than four years after the 1950s chain closed the doors for good, a new jungle-themed restaurant concept performed so well Schussler took the idea public and launched an IPO, which as of 2000 valued at more than $150 million.