In 2006, restaurant proprietor Ovation Brands, one of the largest buffet companies in the U.S., purchased Ryan's and took over operations. Since then, the chain expanded to 23 states with more than 200 operating locations. Under the new management, the buffet chain continuously seeks employees hoping to grow with the company.
Facts About Working at Ryan's
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Ryan's?)
Available Positions: Host/Hostess, Dishwasher, Waiter/Waitress, Cook, Sous Chef, Manager, Assistant Manager, Financial Reporting Accountant, Food Production Restaurant Manager, Restaurant Hospitality Manager, Service Manager, General Manager, Area Director, Crew Member
Ryan’s Job Opportunities
Job prospects demonstrating passion for serving guests, need to exceed expectations, and the ability to treat customers as extended family often land jobs with the buffet chain. Ryan’s hopes to retain employees, so particular selection occurs in order to guarantee the hire of fitting employees. Advancement into managerial or corporate-level roles may prove rewarding to hard-working individuals.
Part-time and full-time entry-level position seekers may find meaningful employment opportunities at Ryan’s. Candidates capable of providing outstanding customer service may qualify for front-of-house work in jobs like cashier or server. Individuals preferring little patron interaction may perform well as dishwashers or cooks. Applicants possessing former experience might gain immediate consideration for managerial roles.
Ryan’s Positions and Salary Information
Applicants should stand at least 17 years of age and must provide a date-of-birth during the application process. Workers seeking employment with little experience may land positions such as cashier, food bar attendant, or dishwasher. Other candidates offering more of a background in restaurant service work may qualify for positions such as server or manager. The following list provides detailed information on regularly available jobs:
- Cashiers process transactions upon entrance due to the nature of the buffet concept.
- Typical duties also include interacting and connecting with guests to set the tone of each visit, providing help to unique needs, delivering exceptional hospitality, and maintaining cleanliness around the cashier stand and surrounding areas.
- The average cashier enjoys hourly pay between $8.00 and $15.00 an hour.
- Cook and baker positions assume responsibility for preparing hot foods and bakery items, using prescribed recipes in order to provide consistency, and ensuring proper safety and sanitation procedures.
- The use of commercial kitchen equipment requires applicants to possess diligent, safety-conscious personalities.
- Variances in working temperatures and tasks requiring associates to stand for long periods of time also call for diligent workers.
- Cooks and bakers regularly receive between $8.00 and $10.00 per hour.
Food Bar Attendant
- The main objective of food bar attendant jobs includes keeping restaurant buffet islands stocked and replenished at all times during each shift.
- Other responsibilities include maintaining clean, neat, and organized selections and ensuring guest satisfaction by assisting with questions or concerns.
- Food bar attendants start out at minimum wage.
- Responsibilities include interacting and connecting with customers, making each visitor feel welcome, and maintaining and stocking the service area.
- Although job duties remain limited by the buffet concept, servers must still possess genial, friendly, and attentive personalities.
- Pay usually falls between $2.00 and $5.00 an hour in addition to gratuity, or at some locations, minimum wage at the start of employment.
- Careers in management with the buffet chain involve aspects of daily operations, with the goal to provide guests with outstanding hospitality and food service.
- Other functions of the position may include operating clean and safe restaurants, supervising, hiring, training, and developing team members, maintaining strict compliances with health, safety, and security standards and procedures, food preparation oversight, providing guest services and interactions, creating schedules, and placing supply orders.
- Candidates providing one year of restaurant management experience, high school educations, valid driver’s licenses, and the ability to work up to 50 hours per week may take preference in hiring decisions.
- Managers enjoy annual salary options between $38,000 and $55,000.
Tips for Applying
Applicants may choose to apply online or in-person at a location of desired hire. The company welcomes candidates to utilize either method; however, applying in person may give job hopefuls the upper hand by allowing for the opportunity to build rapport with a hiring manager. Using the online application form allows users to seek openings at various locations at ease. The process begins on the company website by clicking the People & Careers tab at the header of the homepage, which redirects to employment information including a job search for hourly, salary, and corporate positions.
The online job application form asks applicants to submit an email and password for workers to access the application at a later date in case job hopefuls run out of time, lose internet connection, or suffer computer problems during the process. Ryan’s may contact qualifying applicants within one to two weeks of receiving applications. Inquiries about the status of an application should remain pursuant via phone call or in person at desired locations of hire. Applicants following up with the company may receive regard as genuinely interested in the position; however, courtesy should reciprocate to managers by making communication efforts during slower hours of operation.
Benefits of Working at Ryan’s
Employees enjoy working in relaxed environments with opportunities for growth and personal development. Full-time workers may also retain eligibility for job benefits. Packages often include:
- Competitive base pay
- Annual performance-based rewards
- Paid vacations
- Dental and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- Family meal discounts, and
- A 401(k) savings.
Other perks may include training, employee recognition programs, educational reimbursement, and scholarship opportunities.
More Information on Ryan’s
Ryan’s hosts various promotions such as Family Game Nights and Breakfast for Dinner on Thursdays. Each location also participates in the Birthday Kids Club, which grants children a free meal every year. Though corporate-level employees often come up with these campaigns, the company invites innovative and imaginative team members to join in on the creativity.