Safeway is a leading grocery chain and provides jobs for thousands of employees across the nation. Applicants can find both entry-level and career opportunities with the grocer.
Facts About Working at Safeway
Minimum Age to Work at Safeway: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Safeway?)
Safeway Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 9:00am-9:00pm; Sat: 9:00am-7:00pm; Sun: 10:00am-4:00pm
Available Positions at Safeway: Cashier, checker, courtesy clerk, delivery driver, manager, pharmacy technician
Drive for Lyft! Call 855-407-9995 to apply
Job Opportunities at Safeway
Entry-level Safeway jobs are focused on retail, stock, transportation, and pharmacy roles and welcome those with little or no experience. Associates gain experience over time and frequently earn promotions to match their skills. Manager titles can bring increased pay, as well.
Most roles with Safeway need workers with good teamwork and social skills. Employees must be patient and willing to help customers with various tasks. Typical workdays and hours vary between departments. Therefore, applicants should be ready to work various shifts including nights and weekends.
Safeway Jobs and Wage Information
Most entry-level positions allow workers 16 years old to apply. Some Safeway jobs require high school diplomas or GED equivalents. Part-time and full-time roles can be found in these positions:
- Cashiers use computerized registers to ring out customers and take payments. Associates must keep workstations neat and organized while doing their best to solve customer problems and help complete sales.
- Hourly wage starts near $8.00.
- Ideal candidates have a passion for working with people, and maintain a friendly demeanor in any situation.
- Pharmacy technicians assist with prescription orders. Techs handle medications and keep accurate records for each transaction.
- Pay begins around $11.00 per hour.
- Pharmacy Technicians are required to have a certification.
- Clerks work in various departments throughout the store keeping areas clean, assisting customers, and stocking shelves.
- Employees earn between $9.00 and $11.00 an hour and typically work part-time hours to start.
- Clerks should have positive attitudes and work well in teams.
Tips for Applying
Workers can apply for Safeway jobs online and in person. Applying online gives candidates the option to include resumes. Remember to fill out applications carefully and make sure no sections are left without answers. Omitting information can lead to exclusion from the hiring process.
Find the status of job applications by logging into your online accounts. Job seekers can stop by store locations and speak with managers, as well. Typically, candidates should expect contact within a few weeks of applying in order to schedule an interview.
Benefits of Working at Safeway
Employment benefits are based on full-time and part-time roles. Eligible employees enjoy access to medical, dental, and vision coverages. Team members can also earn paid time off and vacation. Other benefits include 401(k) retirement plans and performance bonuses.
More Information about Safeway
Safeway is one of the few supermarket chains to provide food delivery. Customers can log onto the company’s website and choose to shop from thousands of items, saving time and travel. This service also offers additional employment opportunities as delivery drivers.