One of the most recognized department store chains in the United States, world-renowned Saks Fifth Avenue sells top-shelf brand names out of nearly 110 stores. Falling under the OFF 5th retail banner, as well, the widespread chain serves as an ideal opportunity for entry-level workers and individuals looking for careers in fashion to find meaningful options for employment.
Facts About Working at Saks Fifth Avenue
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Saks Fifth Avenue?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Warehouse Maintenance Associate, Vendor Compliance Coordinator, Cosmetic Selling Manager, Merchandise Manager, Buyer, Jewelry Manager, Director of Local Business Outreach, Marketing Manager, District Manager, Recruiting Manager, Talent Acquisition Manager, Visual Manager, Sales Director, Merchandiser, Risk Support Manager, Visual Financial Analyst, Administrative Assistant, Saks Direct Returns Material Handler, Regional Research Associate, General Manager, Merchandise Planner
Saks Fifth Avenue Job Opportunities
The most common positions available with Saks Fifth Avenue include entry-level sales jobs in various departments in-store. Applicants may choose from work in fragrances, footwear, menswear, swimwear, eveningwear, lingerie, and jewelry. The department store also generally features sections devoted to bedding and bathroom accessories, dining room accessories, gourmet foods, sporting equipment, electronics, kitchen equipment, and housewares. Personal interest in a specific department may translate into additional consideration for employment. Sales skills and motivated personalities also benefit workers greatly.
As employment opportunities arise, Saks Fifth Avenue applicants may access jobs through the company website or inquire about vacancies in-store. Many employees work part-time hours and maintain aspects of department operations, like customer service, stock, sales, and merchandising. The retailer also provides full-time opportunities in management featuring competitive salary options and training programs to further develop skills necessary for long-lasting retail careers.
Saks Fifth Avenue Positions and Pay Scales
The minimum hiring age applicants must meet in order to qualify for employment stands at 18. Available jobs feature both part-time and full-time hours. Applicants must typically hold some related background as well as high school diplomas to gain employment. Jobs readily for hire include:
- The average department store retail worker assuming entry-level roles generally falls into sales associate jobs.
- Sales associate applicants must possess the ability to work varying schedules and flexible hours.
- Retail sales environments often include fast-paced, high-intensity settings.
- Workers need confident, personable, and collected attributes, among other professional sales and customer service qualities, in order to gain hire.
- Job duties involve traditional sales responsibilities, such as assisting customers and ringing up purchases, as well as establishing professional connections and maintaining strong relations with patrons.
- Sales associate pay scales start out at $8.00 an hour, with some positions providing opportunities for supplementary commissions on sales.
- Individuals with experience in retail sales or in positions of leadership may take interest in managerial career opportunities available with the department store chain.
- Ideal candidates possess sound organizational and motivational skills and the ability to perform administrative tasks, like payroll, inventory, and sales analysis.
- Managers also take on the hiring and training of new workers.
- Each department may feature slightly varying responsibilities.
- A typical manager works full-time; however, entry-level supervisory roles may still offer part-time scheduling options.
- Pay scales fluctuate between $10.00 and $11.00 per hour for lower-level managers and up to $80,000 to $90,000 a year or more.
- Salary options typically reflect experience and tenure with the company.
Tips For Applying
Only individuals with previous experience should only apply to work at Saks Fifth Avenue stores. Submitting hiring forms with little-to-no retail experience or job history in similar settings may hinder candidacy. The retailer screens applicants for in-depth knowledge of products sold in desired departments. Workers must regularly demonstrate or recommend merchandise to patrons, and having personal interest or background in particular fields of consumer goods may result in preferential treatment during the hiring process.
The retail chain often hands down hiring decisions to candidates during the final meeting of the interview process. Workers attend multiple interviews, in most cases, to attain jobs. Individuals who do not receive formal word of hiring during or immediately following the final stage of the hiring process may need to check back with a representative at a later date. Response time for employment usually takes no more than a week or two for entry-level positions and up to a month or so for managerial careers. The best methods of checking on application status include calling a particular hiring manager or visiting management in-store. Taking initiative to follow-up after completing the hiring process may differentiate personal candidacy from other aspiring employees.
Benefits of Working at Saks Fifth Avenue
Some of the most widely accessible work benefits provided to employees include training opportunities designed to improve store-level retail and corporate retail job skills. Associates receive paid training upon hire and may take advantage of employment benefits packages if qualified. Standards for job benefits qualification usually include workers in full-time jobs, though discounts on merchandise and services usually stand readily available to both part-time and full-time employees upon hire.
Employment benefits packages regularly consist of:
- Medical and prescription drug coverage
- Dental, and life insurance options
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Access to company credit unions
- 529 college savings plans
- Disability insurance, and employee assistance programs.
The store also provides eligible associates with paid time off, including bereavement leaves and holidays.
More Information on Saks Fifth Avenue
As a reward to regular customers, Saks Fifth Avenue offers the SaksFirst credit card program. Patrons sign up for the card, which provides redeemable points and discounts with continued use. The retail chain provides options for MasterCard or store cards, the latter of which restricts use to in-store only. Regular perks accrued by cardholders include free shipping on items purchased online or via catalog, access to private sales, and several other free benefits, like free gasoline and deals on dining, entertainment, travel, and gym memberships.