Save Mart operates as a family-owned supermarket that historically treats customers like family. The grocery store chain staffs quality workers to provide fast, friendly service to every customer, each visit. With a network of over 200 full-service stores across California and Nevada, Save Mart maintains a large and diverse workforce. The massive supermarket chain continually holds openings for rewarding grocery store jobs.
Facts About Working at Save Mart
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Save Mart?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Grocery Clerk, Service Clerk, Produce Clerk, Bakery Clerk, Courtesy Clerk, Deli Clerk, Meat Cutter, Seafood Clerk, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Accountant, Quality Assurance Analyst, Construction Projects Manager, Employee Relations Supervisor, Systems Administrator, Staff Pharmacist, Floating Pharmacist, Delivery Driver, Employee Relations Supervisor, Auditor, Audit Manager
Save Mart Employment Opportunities
Store-level jobs exist in general customer care and stocking as well as throughout specialty departments like meat and seafood, deli, bakery, produce, and floral. Part-time and full-time jobs stand available in nearly every area of the store, and candidates starting in entry-level positions may progress into next-level leadership roles. The grocery store chain looks for candidates who fit the store values of respect, teamwork, and safety. Customer-service acumen and product knowledge also serve as desirable qualities candidates should possess.
In-store pharmacy departments stand separate from typical store operations and hire dedicated, well-educated workers to fill professional roles. Outside the store-level, Save Mart offers careers in company distribution centers. Major distribution careers include work in procurement, warehouse operations, transportation, and facility maintenance. The grocery chain maintains three distribution centers across California. The grocery retailer also provides corporate-level careers in marketing, human resources, operations, and finance.
Save Mart offers an online application process that allows job hunters to search and apply for jobs in an efficient manner. Individuals need to stand at least 16-years old for store jobs and 18 or older for distribution jobs. Applicants often need to provide social security numbers, addresses, educational histories, and employment backgrounds when applying. Job seekers also need to fill out employment questionnaires. The hiring forms usually take an hour to complete. Candidates may set up applicant profiles to save progress and complete the process over different periods of time. After completing hiring forms, candidates receive “Thank You” prompts ensuring applications successfully submitted.
Save Mart Jobs and Salary Options
The jobs available at Save Mart stores span both part-time and full-time positions. Some positions only remain available at certain locations with corresponding departments. Check with a local store for more information on jobs available. The Southwest grocery store often needs to fill the following positions:
- Grocery clerks provide prompt and friendly customer care.
- Primarily working as cashiers, grocery clerks use computerized systems to scan items, honor coupons, and process payments.
- Additional checkout-related duties include checking product availability, bagging groceries, and using up-sell techniques.
- Grocery clerks also carry out stock clerk duties.
- When needed, grocery clerks need to fill and organize liquor, grocery, frozen, and deli department shelves as well as assist customers.
- Grocery clerks may start out at minimum wage and earn up to $16.00 an hour.
Service Deli Clerk
- Service deli clerks work behind the deli counter and serve customers.
- Primarily, service deli clerks slice meat and cheese in accordance with customer requests and prepare heat-and-eat meals.
- Customers may also make special catering requests for sandwich and deli trays that service deli clerks need to prepare.
- Service deli clerks also need to assist customers in event planning, make announcements, and rotate products.
- Proper food preparation and handling proves essential to the job.
- Service deli clerks often make between $10.00 and $15.00 an hour.
- Bakery clerks work at the bakery counter taking customer requests.
- Key responsibilities include understanding customer needs and preparing baked items.
- When needed, bakery clerks also need to inventory items and stock baking goods.
- Bakery clerks need to follow proper product handling protocols and work in a fast, efficient manner.
- On average, a bakery clerk makes about $12.50 an hour.
- Meat cutters cut meat in accordance with specific size and trim standards.
- After preparing meat, cutters need to wrap and weigh the product or prepare the cuts for display at the sales counter.
- Safety, sanitation, and food quality remain paramount in the job title, and meat cutters must follow store protocols at all times.
- The skilled position requires certifications or several years of experience.
- Meat cutters usually earn hourly wages between $14.00 and $18.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Individuals either visit locations to pick up job requests in person or log on to the company careers page to access employment opportunities online. Typical job settings revolve around integrity, teamwork, commitment, responsibility, and respect. Applicants should also note the grocer enforces pre-employment drug screening for every candidate, regardless of position. The ability to adapt to the fast-paced, inclusive, and customer-centric work environments in addition to being drug-free, personable, and well-groomed generally increases odds of employment.
The Save Mart Supermarkets hiring process lasts two weeks, in most cases. Certain departments and opportunities in management usually draw out the employment and application processes, with candidates completing the required steps in roughly a month. Workers may call, visit, or email locations at any time after submitting documents to check on hiring statuses. Wait at least 24 hours before reaching out to managers to allow for processing and/or deliberations to take place. Remaining positive and persistent usually makes a lasting impression.
Benefits of Working at Save Mart
In addition to competitive pay, Save Mart provides excellent work benefits to eligible workers. Most associates qualify for health and wellness benefits. Health benefits include medical plans, dental insurance, and vision care. For employee wellbeing, Save Mart offers life insurance, disability coverage, and flexible spending accounts. Maintaining a good work/life balance also plays an important to the grocery store, as workers enjoy paid holidays and vacation days. The supermarket also cares about employee growth and development and offers ongoing training and development opportunities.
Additional Information on Save Mart
Save Mart remains privately held. The grocery store chain operates under different banners in different regions. Other supermarket chains include S-Mart Food, Lucky, and FoodMaxx. The family continually evolves and finds ways to better serve customers and the community. In recent years, the supermarket developed new green initiatives to leave smaller carbon footprints. Green technologies the supermarket introduced include water-based refrigeration stems that eliminate the use of chemicals harmful to the ozone, heat-recovery systems to cut down on energy usage, and advanced water conservation systems. The supermarket also recycles all corrugated cardboard and plastics.