A leading sporting goods retailer, Scheels maintains over two dozen store locations and employs more than 5,000 associates. In need of passionate associates with sports knowledge, the retail chain conducts hiring year round.
Facts About Working at Scheels
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Scheels?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Shoe Support, Sales Associate, Clothing Sales Associate, Hunting Support Associate, Hunting and Fishing Sales Associate, Deli Specialist, Embroidery Specialist, Barista, Camping Manager, Cashier, Buyer, Visa Program Consultant, Security Officer, Clothing Associate, Small Engine Technician, Fitting Room Attendant, Bike Technician, Merchandise Stockroom Associate, Visual Display and Merchandising Associate
Scheels Job Opportunities
The customer-focused sporting goods retailer hires the best people in order to carry out the company mission of offering world-class shopping experiences. Associates need pleasant attitudes and the ability to work in fast-paced environments. Ideal candidates should possess advanced knowledge in specific merchandise areas, such as sports apparel, footwear, fashion, hunting, fishing, golf, or any team sport. Dedication to customer service remains essential to the job, as well. The chain also prefers to hire people with the desire to become store leaders.
As an employee-owned company, Scheels creates ideal work environments for associates. The team-oriented cultures empower workers at all levels to reach greater success. Empowerment starts immediately upon hire, with new associates receiving in-depth training. Workers enjoy interactive training and attentive coaching until fully prepared for assigned roles. Once acclimated to positions, each employee may utilize additional training and development opportunities in order to follow a path to greater career success.
Scheels Positions and Salary Information
With expansive stores featuring various departments, the sporting goods chain frequently hires people across diverse ranges of roles. The chain offers both part-time and full-time roles in every career area, including receiving, cashiering, and sales. Team members on the sales floor may work in specific areas, such as fitting rooms, camping, fishing, archery, firearms, shoes, and pro sports departments. The retailer also offers employment in its in-store delis and fudge shops. Associates typically need to meet the minimum age of 16 years old to access entry-level customer service jobs. However, some roles require workers to meet a minimum age requirement of 18 years old.
- Cashiers process sales transactions with speed and accuracy.
- Committed to offering an excellent customer care experience, cashiers greet shoppers upon entering and respond to any questions or requests.
- To answer common inquires, cashiers need to possess basic knowledge of sports, store layout, and merchandise pricing.
- When faced with more specific questions, cashiers may direct customers to department specialists.
- At the beginning and end of each shift, the cashier counts the balance of the cash register drawer to ensure accuracy.
- Throughout the shifts, cashiers maintain the clean and orderly appearances of checkout counters and surrounding areas.
- Cashiers typically start out earning minimum wage.
- A general job title, the position of sales associate provides personal assistance to customers on the sales floor.
- Demonstrating passion, enthusiasm, and sports knowledge, sales associates ensure customers receive expert care.
- Sales associates also set up advertising displays and arrange merchandise on tables.
- The position also includes stocking shelves, counters, and tables with merchandise and keeping items organized and visually appealing.
- Sales associates need to possess strong selling and communication skills.
- Associates wishing to work in specific departments, such as fishing or pro sports, should possess prior knowledge of the desired area of expertise.
- The average pay for sales associates typically stays around $8.50 an hour.
Fitting Room Attendant
- Fitting room attendants assist and oversee customers in fitting room areas.
- Exhibiting friendly, courteous demeanors, fitting room attendants provide style suggestions and offer in-depth product knowledge.
- To cut down on product loss, fitting room attendants check guests in and out of rooms and monitor the amount of merchandise clients enter and leave with.
- Fitting room associates must also keep up with the latest fashion trends and maintain knowledge of store merchandise.
- The entry-level position generally pays about $9.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Scheels offers a simple online application, which takes only a few moments to complete. The application asks for basic information, such as address, work history, and education. Applicants should provide correct and up-to-date information. When applying for a job, make as appealing a case as possible. Highlighting prior experience related to the job title may benefit workers. Employers may investigate criminal history and verify past employment, which applicants should remain truthful about, but may choose not to access in-depth information about work attendance, disciplinary acts, or reason for leaving past jobs.
Checking on application status may keep individuals informed about job vacancies and boost standing with the company. Managers often prefer to hire workers who show pronounced interest in work available. Calling the store about desired employment serves as the best way for candidates to inquire about applicant status and express enthusiasm for the job. Applicants typically want to call stores about a week after submitting applications.
Scheels Employee Benefits
The retail chain knows the importance of holding on to quality people and offers lucrative benefits to keep associates happy and productive. Qualifying part-time and full-time associates earn employment benefits packages containing perks for personal health, work/life balance, and financial support. Health benefits include medical, dental, and short-term disability insurance. To support work/life balance, the company provides paid time off, holiday pay, and an associate discount. Financial care benefits include 401(k) retirement plans with company match as well as employee stock ownership.
Other Information About Scheels
Scheels specializes in durable, high-quality apparel for individuals who participate in sports and outdoor activities. The retail chain offers base layers, outerwear, and everything in between as well as swimwear, accessories, and footwear. Store locations carry the biggest names in sports apparel, including Under Armour, Nike, The North Face, and Columbia. In addition to functional apparel, the chain offers fashionable clothing for everyday activities. The sporting goods retailer also offers a wide selection of gear for hunting, camping, fishing, skiing, and team sports. Store services include bike repair and gunsmithing.