A leading chain of cafes, Schlotzsky's offers both entry-level and career-level employment opportunities with competitive starting pay and flexible scheduling. Workers may seek out jobs online or in stores across 35 states domestically.
Facts About Working at Schlotzsky's
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Schlotzsky's?)
Available Positions: Waiter/Waitress, Host/Hostess, Cashier, Baker, Cook, Prep Cook, Dishwasher, Assistant Manager, Restaurant Manager, Team Member, Team Leader, Catering Representative
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Schlotzsky’s Interview Videos
Schlotzsky’s Employment Opportunities
Founded in Austin, TX, in the early 1970s, the popular fast food chain specializes in deli sandwiches and confectionaries made-to-order in family-friendly environments. Franchising and a history of excellent service spread the brand throughout the U.S. as well as abroad and result in new locations in need of motivated staff members. Most locations hire new employees to work as part of teams in shifts. Entry-level associates regularly assume evening or weekend hours at start, while tenured or experienced workers may fall into morning, day, or desired schedules more readily.
As a chain of fast food restaurants, Schlotzsky’s looks to hire workers who enjoy challenges both large and small. Upon hire, most entry-level employees perform rudimentary tasks, like restocking supplies, cleaning bathrooms, mopping floors, and sanitizing kitchen equipment. Applicants must enjoy tedious and repetitive tasks and remain self-accountable for daily responsibilities. Associates must also complete work in quick as well as efficient manners in order to succeed on staff. The nationwide fast food chain maintains the same expectations for managers, who primarily cater to customers, motivate workers, and track inventory and sales.
Schlotzsky’s Job Prospects and Salary Information
Applicants may begin submitting hiring forms at the age of 16 for most Schlotzsky’s jobs. Positions in management and some full-time cook opportunities may require applicants to stand at least 18 and hold previous experience in related fields. No other real qualifications sit in place to work for the fast food chain. The most prevalent jobs available include:
- One of the most accessible jobs available with the restaurant, cashier offers part-time hours and minimum wage starting pay.
- Typical responsibilities include working service counters, taking food and drink orders, processing payments, and issuing change and receipts.
- Cashiers must also explain menu items and promotions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and passion for working with the general public regularly assist prospective cashiers.
- Driven and career-oriented mentalities also sit well with Schlotzsky’s hiring staffs.
- Schlotzsky’s cooks prepare both cold and hot dishes for customers.
- Use of potentially hazardous equipment requires applicants to possess exceptional mindfulness and spatial awareness in order to gain employment.
- Time management skills and attention to detail also benefits candidates, as most responsibilities take place under pressure and with the expectation of quick turnaround.
- Previous experience typically plays no real factor in final employment determinations; however, workers with backgrounds in the culinary arts or exceptionally motivated attitudes toward the field may gain preferential treatment from hiring personnel.
- Cooks may work part-time or full-time and regularly receive anywhere from $8.00 to $12.00 per hour, depending on skills and qualifications.
- Team leader positions represent the first tier of managerial careers available with the prominent restaurant chain.
- Through promotion via work performance, dedicated employees may graduate into assistant manager or general manager roles.
- Job duties for each of the three tiers primarily involves hiring staff, training new employees, setting schedules, ordering supplies, increasing sales, ensuring customer satisfaction, performing opening and closing responsibilities, and resolving workplace conflicts.
- Team leaders may work part-time hours initially, despite manager employment status.
- Full-time roles become available over time or through promotion into assistant manager or general manager job titles, which historically feature full-time hours.
- A typical team leader earns between $10.00 and $12.00 an hour.
- Assistant managers and general managers receive annual salary options sometimes reaching in excess of $45,000 to $50,000.
Tips For Applying
The restaurant sometimes uses a process called Work Alongs, which take place during job interviews for available positions and put workers through a typical lunch rush on the spot. Applicants and scheduled interviewees alike often participate in Work Alongs to see if personal abilities resemble the expectations potential managers hold of new employees. When submitting applications in store, prepare for the possibility of a Work Along, as the process remains a common occurrence on little-or-no notice. If put through the test, maintain a friendly and personal demeanor at all times and engage customers in lively and outgoing manners.
Candidates should employ follow-up calls, visits, or emails in order to impress hiring personnel. The company takes pride in team members with dedicated and driven attitudes. Showing initiative by calling or visiting a location of choice to check on the status of an application may mean the difference between gaining employment and dismissal from the applicant pool. Calling and visiting in person represent the most personable approaches to following up on applications; however, Schlotzsky’s honors emails and responds to the digital inquiries the same as the other two methods.
Benefits of Working at Schlotzsky’s
Expanding operations, fun and inclusive work environments, and paid training represent entry-level job benefits workers take advantage of immediately upon hire. The chain also provides discounted or complimentary uniforms, free or discounted meals, and schedule flexibility. Qualified employees also receive employment benefits packages consisting of healthcare coverage and financial planning assistance like 401(k) retirement plans. Paid time off also remains available to eligible workers. Specific requirements for employee benefits eligibility typically include associates maintaining full-time status.
More Details about Schlotzsky’s
Restaurants across the Schlotzsky’s company network regularly participate in and support community outreach programs in conjunction with local charities and related organizations. Each location provides donation request forms local community members or outfits may complete to begin a partnership with the chain. Partnerships regularly include sponsorship of proceeds nights, where parts of total evening profits go toward non-profit or academic causes. The fast food chain also sponsors youth sports teams and community-based athletic events.