Schwan’s sells frozen foods from home delivery trucks, grocery store freezers, through the food service industry, and by mail. The company offers entry-level careers in route sales, sales management, manufacturing, and administration. Job seekers find part-time and full-time opportunities.
Facts About Working at Schwan's
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Schwan's?)
Available Positions: Customer Sales Representative, Route Sales Representative, Part-Time Merchandiser, Associate Material Handler, Sanitation Associate, Maintenance Supervisor, Machine Operator, Line Attendant, Laboratory Technician, Fork Lift Operator
Schwan’s Job Opportunities
Based in Marshall, MN, The Schwan Food Company began in 1952 by Marvin Schwan. The multibillion-dollar private company employs over 14,000 workers across North America. Among the leading frozen-food companies, Schwan’s markets Red Baron, Tony’s, Freschetta, Pagoda, Edwards, Mrs. Smith’s, and Schwan’s. With more than 350 home-style foods available, employees provide superior, family-oriented customer service any day of the week. Positions regularly accepting applications focus on selling and providing shoppers with support. Ideal candidates enjoy the food industry. Training programs allow workforces to operate safely and exceed expectations of purchasers. Individuals also receive opportunities for career advancement within the company and tuition reimbursement to gain further skills.
The food company promotes five core values consisting of growth, hard work, helping one another, enthusiasm, and integrity. Diverse labor forces build worker morale and afford associates opportunities to succeed. Business performance thrives in environments with understanding of others. The team environments foster open and constructive dialogue allowing individuals to improve upon individual skill sets. Schwan’s encourages employees to build cultural awareness to better serve customers, business colleagues, and suppliers. Inclusive settings allow team members to successfully compete in the global marketplace.
Schwan’s Employment Outlook and Wages Information
Most positions request applicants to stand at least 18 years of age, although some requirements differ. Driving opportunities require candidates to possess valid driver’s licenses and clean driving records. Schwan’s only seeks employees with top-notch communication skills. Basic mathematical and reading expertise generally help workers perform everyday tasks. Entry-level positions come available regularly in the following job titles:
- Attendants perform a range of packaging and assembly operations in the processing of foods.
- Workers must produce quality products in timely manners under sanitary conditions.
- Daily duties include unpacking materials, mixing ingredients, assembling products, and packing finished goods.
- Employees may also inspect products and make the necessary repairs or rejections.
- Sometimes line attendants assist in the training of new staff members.
- Applicants must possess basic mathematical skills and the ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Candidates should interact professionally with coworkers, managers, and consumers.
- Hourly wages of $10.00 to $11.00 accompany the position starting out.
Customer Sales Representative
- Selling and delivering products at the store level, representatives travel to different locations to achieve sales goals.
- Salary packages range between $25,000 and $32,000 for entry-level associates.
- Candidates must stand at least 21 years of age and possess valid driver’s licenses.
- Employees deliver products to various stores while abiding by the Department of Transportation rules and regulations.
- Workers handle customer complaints and incorrect orders by providing excellent customer service and maintaining positive relationships with store staffs.
- Occasionally, team members set up new product and promotional displays.
- Under general supervision of managers, associates move materials, supplies, and finished goods throughout facilities.
- Workers also unload frozen food products from trucks and place items into warehouse freezers.
- Pay rates begin at $11.00 an hour and climb to $19.00 an hour with experience and dedication.
- As an entry-level position, material handlers need no experience, though basic mathematical and communication skills prove vital.
- Occasionally, handlers may use hammers, crowbars, and various hand tools.
- Proper documentation remains essential and requires the use of lists.
- Team environments ensure employees work together to accomplish production goals while following policies and other standards of conduct.
Tips For Applying
Interested candidates may start searches through an online career portal. Keyword or advanced search engines bring up related positions based on categories and locations. Applicants should create profiles once locating potential openings. By submitting usernames and passwords, job seekers may logon in the future to reapply. Contenders may publish RSS feeds on Facebook to receive the latest opportunities. Schwan’s also allows hopefuls to upload resumes from LinkedIn profiles. The company utilizes social media sites to post recent job updates and provide tips from current employees.
Recruiters generally reach out to candidates after receiving applications through phone calls two to three days later. Interview processes may take up to three weeks after hearing back from hiring managers. While waiting to hear back, individuals should study the company and prepare potential questions. Job seekers may also prepare for interviews by practicing with personality based questions. Assertive candidates contact hiring leaders to receive updates on positions. If positions fill, applicants should resubmit applications for other openings to show determination.
Benefits of Working for Schwan’s
Work benefits assist employees and families with financial security, health, and well-being. Depending on positions, healthcare coverage remains available in the form of dental, vision, and medical insurance.
- Life insurance, along with short- and long-term disability coverage, offer sense of security for individuals and family members.
- The company also matches 401(k) retirement plan contributions.
Staff members enjoy time away from work in the form of paid time off and vacations. Additional employment benefits include employee assistance programs, fitness center discounts, and financial counseling.
More Information on Schwan’s
A program designed to raise funds easily year-round, Schwan’s Cares serves as a fundraising network. Schwan’s Home Service contributes a portion of profits from orders to organizations. Individuals and groups start campaigns for different reasons ranging from sports teams, church missions, charities, education, neighborhoods, and PTA fundraising. With no upfront costs or handling of products and money, groups earn up to 40% during the first 30-45 days and 5% the rest of the year. By 2015, organizations raised over $9 million in profits. Consumers support causes by shopping online or calling and then selecting the campaign of choice.