Sephora remains at the forefront of the cosmetics industry through continued expansion and unique products. With over 1,000 locations worldwide, the company utilizes stand-alone stores, makeup counter locations in department stores, and direct sales to further the visibility of the brand.
Facts About Working at Sephora
Minimum Age to Work at Sephora: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Sephora?)
Sephora Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 10:00am-10:00pm; Sat: 9:00am-10:00pm; Sun: 10:00am-8:00pm
Available Positions at Sephora: Assistant manager, beauty advisor, cashier, makeup artist, product consultant, sales associate
Sephora Interview Videos
Sephora Employment Outlook
Dependent on maintaining brand identity and following current trends in the cosmetics industry, Sephora consistently needs to hire new staff to work at varied locations across the country. Partnering with major department stores in the United States, the cosmetics brand operates in nearly 400 locations. As part of such a large contingent of stores, the industry leader hires for various entry-level positions, such as beauty advisor and sales associate, to interact with customers, provide makeup tips, and provide expert knowledge on company products and services. Employees typically must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, readiness to learn, and the ability to work both independently and in team environments.
In addition to entry-level jobs, Sephora must routinely add new managers and supervisors in order to maintain streamlined business approaches and maximize sales. Managerial candidates should possess advanced knowledge of company products and the makeup industry, show an understanding of current trends and fashions, and possess prior leadership experience, preferably in retail or a similar industry. Managers may need additional schooling, certifications, and willingness to relocate.
Positions and Salary Information for Sephora
Sephora employees must stand at least 18 years old and possess high school diplomas or equivalent GEDs. An ability to demonstrate knowledge of current makeup application, trends, and fashions and desire to work with the public generally prove the most pressing hiring requirements. For career-minded individuals, roles as supervisors and managers may require additional schooling and experience. The most commonly available jobs with the cosmetics retailer sit below:
- Job duties involve suggesting products, explaining and representing product use, and building clientele through follow-up consultations.
- Typically earning between $12.00 and $13.00 initially, a beauty advisor generally must only meet basic hiring requirements; however, astute knowledge of current trends and products may prove beneficial during the hiring process.
- A beauty advisor may also assist in replenishing merchandise, maintaining the cleanliness of the counter, and organizing stock areas for optimal sales.
- Sales associate positions include assisting at the counter, performing restocking duties, cashiering, and gift-wrapping when necessary.
- A sales associate typically works part-time hours and earns an hourly wage of $10.00.
- Employees must also maintain end caps, shelves, and drawers in order to ensure selling teams remain adequately supplied of necessary merchandise.
- Sephora store managers have many duties including assisting employees, creating schedules, overlooking inventory, etc.
- Annual salary packages range from $40k-$60k.
- Those in management roles should have the ability to set a good example for other workers.
Tips For Applying
The cosmetics industry leader allows for candidates to apply either online or at the hiring store location in person. When applying online, applicants must create user profiles by entering email addresses and passwords. Job seekers may streamline the task by uploading information from various social media accounts, such as Facebook and LinkedIn. Inquirers applying in person may wish to bring printed copies of resumes tailored to current job openings in order to demonstrate related work experience, if possible.
Once potentials create an account, the company sends automated emails in order to notify candidates of application status and new work openings. Job seekers may also deem visiting a hiring location, calling, or emailing human resource personnel as other ways of keeping in contact with hiring managers. In such situations, applicants should remain aware of peak hours, manager duties, and common courtesy in order to project interest but also respect for the company. Candidates pursuing application statuses may earn additional interviews, as following up generally shows initiative and genuine interest in available positions.
Benefits of Working at Sephora
Sephora offers employees a wide variety of job benefits in addition to excellent pay rates, career advancement opportunities, and paid training. Both full- and part-time employees enjoy comprehensive medical, prescription drug, vision, and dental plan options. In addition, associates earn paid time-off, including vacation, sick, and holiday time and earn Summer Fridays, in which all Fridays from June through September remain half days.
- The cosmetics company also offers employees exceptional product discounts, additional discounts at various gyms and partner businesses.
- Eligible associates also enjoy enrollment in company-matched 401(k) retirement plan.
Supplementary Information about Sephora
With such a defined presence in the cosmetics industry and growing markets in North America with over 300 store locations alone, Sephora gives back to more communities to enrich the lives of customers and surrounding areas. In order to maximize potential partnerships in each area, the company launched the Values Inside Out program. Each store or location matches with a local non-profit to decide what type of relationship deems necessary. The company provides charitable funds, organizes employee volunteerism, and raises awareness for various causes, as well.