Infamous New York-based burger and fry chain Shake Shack represents an ideal job opportunity for anyone interested in food service and hospitality. The chain offers fast-paced work environments allowing for exciting customer interactions. Associates enjoy the ability brag about working for one of the most prestigious burger spots around.
Facts About Working at Shake Shack
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Shake Shack?)
Available Positions: Team Member, Cashier, Line Cook, Prep Cook, Assistant Manager, General Restaurant Manager
Printable Application: Yes. Print Shake Shack application (PDF) or Search Job Openings.
Shake Shack Job Opportunities
Career-minded workers thrive in the professional work environments featuring ample room for advancement. The burger chain looks for bright, friendly team members with high energy and the ability to make work fun. Only highly capable individuals earn the ability to uphold the reputation for quality food and friendly service at a participating location. Casual workers may find fun, flexible part-time jobs or work as seasonal hires during busy summer months. Committed entry-level associates may take on full-time roles and work year-round. For positions like team member, the regional chain hires individuals without any prior work experience. The company only requires candidates to show willingness to learn and genuine interests in the fast food industry.
Shake Shack accepts paper applications and online submissions. To apply online, candidates simply need to visit the careers page on the company website and search for available opportunities. After selecting a job opening, an aspiring worker may fill out an online form, which asks for contact information, education background, past employment, and references. The hiring form also asks candidates to describe what drove initial desires to work for the restaurant as well as favorite and least favorite aspects of past jobs.
Shake Shake Employment Opportunities and Pay Scales
Employees at Shake Shack earn competitive hourly pay and generous salary options. The minimum age requirement for employment varies by state. Typically, associates need to reach 16 years old to receive hiring consideration. Upper-level positions usually set age requirements at 18 years of age. Career paths remain simple and only a few titles exist within a location. The list below details the job duties and pay scales of common jobs within the company:
- Team member serves as a general title under which associates hold a variety of responsibilities.
- Not limited to one station, team members rotate throughout the restaurant and perform customer-service and food-preparation duties.
- Prospective hires must exhibit personable attitudes and passion for customer care.
- Job hopefuls should also possess open availability to work varied shifts.
- Team members earn hourly wages and generally make about $9.50 per hour.
- Team leader represents the next step up for team members.
- Responsible for team performance during a shift, team leaders monitor team members and ensure operations run smoothly.
- Team leaders provide ongoing coaching and training to develop team members.
- When needed, team leaders work stations and assist in food production or customer care.
- Team leaders should possess some leadership experience.
- The average team leader usually earns between $10.00 and $14.00 an hour.
- Working as part of a management team, a manager supervises and directs daily operations.
- Key functions include delegating work duties, hiring and evaluating staff members, and ordering products and supplies.
- Responsible for store profitability, managers analyze sales numbers and drive marketing initiatives.
- Managers also ensure employees uphold company standards for food quality and customer care.
- Managers need to possess one to three years’ of supervisory experience.
- Salary rates typically fall anywhere between $40,000 to $80,000 annually.
Tips For Applying
Shake Shack values teamwork. Applicants need to mesh well with others and enjoy direct interactions with the general public. The New York-based chain also covets workers with sound communication skills, upbeat personalities, and open availability. Hiring forms completed by would-be associates should reflect the company values and demonstrate commitment to excellence. Self-motivated job hopefuls with clearly defined career goals are also highly sought-after.
Candidates applying online usually receive email invitations to interview within a couple of days. On average, workers wait two to three days to hear back from the chain regarding applications. Some managerial positions may require longer time tables. Seriously interested individuals should call, email, or visit stores to reiterate desires for employment. Using the opportunities to ask about potential pay, steps in the hiring process, and general expectations also benefits candidates.
Benefits of Working at Shake Shack
Shake Shack appreciates the work staff members put in and offers generous employment benefits to show appreciation. Packages available to qualified workers include comprehensive medical, future savings, and personal wellbeing plans, which all qualified associates may access.
Healthcare benefits include:
- Dental, and
- Vision insurance for employees and dependents
For financial security, employment benefits packages include revenue-sharing and 401(k) retirement plans available to crew members over 21 years old who worked over one year on staff. Personal well-being benefits include flexible spending accounts for added health coverage and transit programs. Qualified team members may also access bonus programs. All associates typically enjoy employee dining discounts.
Additional Information on Shake Shack
Operating as a modern day roadside burger stand, Shake Shack offers fresh, well-made food served up fast. Keeping the menu simple in order to ensure top quality, the burger chain sells 100% all-natural Angus burgers, flat-top hotdogs, fresh made fries, and frozen custard shakes. The restaurant also serves beer and wine for adults and dog biscuits with custard for customers with pets. The popular restaurant draws sizable crowds at its flagship location, so the chain installed “The Shack Cam” to help customers plan visits.