The privately owned convenience and gas retail chain stretches across six states with roughly 435 stores. Sheetz continues to grow rapidly and leads the convenience store market with touch-screen, made-to-order food and a 24-hour open door policy.
Facts About Working at Sheetz
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Sheetz?)
Available Positions: Beverage Host/Hostess, Salesperson, Shift Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Associate Manager, Store Manager, Fuel Transporter, Prep Cook, Line Cook, Team Member
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Sheetz Employee Interview Videos
Sheetz Job Opportunities
In 1952, Founder Bob Sheetz purchased a single dairy store in Atloona, PA, and eventually grew the company to include roughly 100 stores before retiring. Operating as one of the largest convenience chains in both the Midwest and Southeast, the gas station employs more than 14,000 workers, which contribute to the success of the $5 billion company. The family-owned gas station chain continues to expand facilities, exemplified best by the spending of almost $33 million on a single food preparation building in November 2014. Such developments provide rich opportunities for job seekers to gain meaningful employment and sustain rewarding careers.
Perfect for experienced and less experienced individuals, Sheetz provides job possibilities for high school and college students as well as for career-oriented individuals. Consistently awarded as one of the best places to work, employees enjoy numerous benefits along with the opportunity for advancement typically of growing companies. Jobs remain abundant for entry-level employment seekers at gas stations, warehouses, and distribution centers, while the company corporate headquarters offer viable career paths for motivated professionals.
Sheetz Positions and Pay Scales
Sheetz requires applicants to stand at least 16 years of age and in some managerial cases possess proper certification. High school diplomas or GEDs seldom prove necessary; however, holding such certificates greatly increases the odds of standing out to the employers. The following employment opportunities stand readily available through the convenience store chain:
- Workers in the convenience store environment must excel at customer service and display naturally people-oriented approaches to responsibilities.
- Part-time and full-time positions stand available with the expectation of weekend and holiday schedules for prospective hires.
- Job duties range from helping customers with purchases to food preparation in the kitchen area.
- Gas station employees must stand for prolonged periods, handle money, front and stock shelves, and maintain cleanliness throughout the store.
- Promotion opportunities include shift leader and assistant store manager and raise from the hourly wage base pay of $8.00 to a maximum of $11.00 per hour.
- Additionally, sales associates receive 50-percent off food and benefit from occasional tips.
Food and Bakery Operations Team Member
- Team members prepare and package food via special equipment and adhere to quality control and safety procedures.
- Employees must possess the ability to lift 50 pounds, stand and walk for extended periods, and work with potential allergens present in the food.
- Sheetz restricts the use of jewelry and implements hairnets for associates.
- First and second shifts comprise regular workweeks, which entail four, ten-hour days, with the possibility to work weekends and holidays.
- Applicants able to endure 36-degrees Fahrenheit working conditions may receive pay differentials placing hourly wages around $9.00 an hour compared to the new hire rate of$8.00 per hour.
- Fueling station managers lead staff with customer-focused approaches and supervise every aspect of Sheetz convenience store operations.
- Managerial candidates should possess excellent organizational skills and demonstrate a keen sense for business.
- Other duties include preparing schedules for subordinates, sustaining working crews, counting and ordering inventory, and analyzing business trends.
- Manager salary options begin at $35,000 and increase with experience to about $50,000 a year, with opportunities for bonuses and profit sharing.
h3 class=”brandpage”>Tips For Applying
Sheetz exclusively accepts online applications, which include personality tests along with minute-long videos pertaining to each position. Applicants should reserve 30 to 40 minutes to complete the form. Although watching the videos proves unnecessary for application submission, relevant information may benefit the interview. Flexible schedules and willingness to work at multiple locations provide the best chances of standing out to hiring managers.
Interview scheduling occurs over a one to two week time period once applicants submit hiring documents. However, a response may take up to a month depending on position availability and number of applicants. Calling the desired store greatly increases the chance for an interview, as the initiative displays willingness to work. During the interview, managers test knowledge of the company alongside perceived job competency. Workers often report receiving job offers within a couple of days of completing the interview process.
Benefits of Working at Sheetz
The family-owned company takes pride in the job benefits offered to employees. Upon hire, associates receive food discounts, quarterly bonuses based on specific store sales, free drinks, access to a credit union, and free uniforms. Paid vacation begins one year after hire and increases annually accordingly. Sheetz also offers stock options and tuition assistance, while:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Life insurance, and
- Healthcare coverage remain available for eligible employees
Further Details on Sheetz
In 1992, Sheetz for the Kidz established a long tradition of charitable contributions to the community. Initially raising $12,000 for underprivileged children during the holiday season, the chain since expanded the in-house charity in part with the Salvation Army to reach 56,000 children totaling more than $6.7 million in donations. In addition, the convenience store company donated more than $2.5 million for the Special Olympics and sponsors about 40 families within the Sheetz operating area each year through the Make-A-Wish foundation.
camilla meixsell says:
I worked for Sheetz from June 11th 2003 to Aug of 2015 I cleaned the coolers, window bagged ice. Sweep parking lot, run floor machine, fill washer fluid, do the dishes, clean off top of ice machines. Clean gas pumps remove the stuff off shelve and clean the shelves.