Shopko employs approximately 17,000 workers at more than 300 stores in California, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Nebraska, and several other states. The retail chain frequently fills entry-level job vacancies with motivated workers who stand at least 16 years of age. Privately owned, the retailer denotes openings on the company website and provides a simple online application process.
Facts About Working at Shopko
Minimum Age to Work at Shopko: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Shopko?)
Shopko Hours of Operation: Sun 8A - 9p, M-F 8A - 10P, Sat 8A - 10P
Available Positions at Shopko: Sales Associate, Store Manager, Department Manager, Supervisor, Specialist, Pharmacist, Optician, Optical Manager, Distribution Center Associate, Administrative Assistant
Shopko Job Opportunities
Like any large retail store, Shopko hires on salespeople and customer service associates to take on day-to-day tasks like maintaining store appearances and assisting patrons. Common duties include working registers, stocking shelves, setting up displays, cleaning, and performing other assigned tasks. While not required, previous retail experience often aids candidates in obtaining jobs with the retail organization.
A quality team of managers and supervisors runs each store. Management duties may include hiring new employees, scheduling workers, performing banking duties, and ensuring customer satisfaction. Ideal candidates for upper-level positions possess the ability to motivate and lead coworkers to success. Managerial associates must also use organizational skills to meet store goals, implement corporate initiatives, and keep locations stocked with proper amounts of products. While supervisory job titles do not typically require official certifications, upper-level store management positions may demand a bachelor’s degree and several years of experience in retail leadership.
Shopko Positions and Salary Information
Due to the many departments in each store, Shopko offers a litany of positions for both entry-level and professional workers. While leadership positions may require previous experience, the retail organization requires associates in all positions to possess customer service aptitude. Entry-level applicants who show amicable qualities typically fare well at the retailer, even without a formal background in retail. The company frequently hires for the following positions:
- Shopko teammate duties depend on assigned departments.
- However, each associate undertakes the responsibilities of operating cash registers, providing helpful information to customers based on product knowledge, and remaining current on prices and promotions.
- Associates must complete tasks while providing exceptional customer assistance throughout each shift.
- Teammates typically earn starting pay around minimum wage.
- Experienced workers may earn up to $9.00 per hour.
Customer Service Specialist
- Customer service specialists often prepare stores before opening or closing, count money, stock or restock items, and perform other administrative duties regarding customer service throughout the day.
- Specialists may work as cashiers or at store service desks.
- When working service desks, customer service specialists facilitate returns or handle any other patron-related issues.
- Shopko customer service specialists often take home hourly wages between $9.00 and $10.00.
- Shopko offers many different management jobs ranging from department supervisor and department manager to assistant manager and store manager.
- The management team works together to ensure smooth day-to-day and long-term operations.
- Supervisors simply oversee subordinate employees, delegate tasks, and report to department managers each day to receive instructions.
- Supervisory associates often make hourly wages between $10.00 and $13.00.
- The retailer prefers managerial aspirants to possess bachelor’s degrees or several years of retail management experience.
- Department managers oversee all operations pertaining to specific areas in each store and report to the store manager.
- Assistant and store managers hire and train new employees, set weekly schedules, and serve customers.
- Big-picture duties include increasing store profitability through loss prevention and meeting sales goals.
- Managers must possess exceptional organizational abilities and computer skills.
- Lower-level mangers earn yearly salary options between $30,000 and $50,000, while store managers may earn in excess of $80,000 annual salary.
Tips For Applying
Shopko allows job seekers to search open positions on the Careers section of the company website and apply online by creating a personal profile to complete the application. Additionally, the retailer allows aspiring workers to submit resumes without designating desired positions. Hiring managers may read resumes and contact workers when suitable job vacancies arise. The online application process may require job hopefuls to take various assessments and release information regarding previous employment, references, level of education, and other personal data. Applicants should complete hiring request forms in as much detail as necessary in order for managers to assess eligibility for the position.
Due to the high volume of applicants, hiring managers often take three to four weeks to review applications before contacting eligible candidates via telephone. Job seekers may want to follow up with hiring managers after submitting applications to express sincere desires to become Shopko employees. Always maintain a respectful demeanor when following up, whether by phone or in-person, and remain careful not to put any undue pressure on the recruitment staff. Following up in-person often remains a great way to provide personable introductions to a potential boss. Wearing business attire when visiting stores demonstrates professionalism and initiative, which serve as qualities hiring managers often look for in new employees.
Benefits of Working at Shopko
Shopko offers various job benefits to full-time and part-time employees. Full-time associates receive comprehensive employment benefits packages, which include:
- Health insurance
- Company-matched 401(k) retirement plans
- Life insurance,
- Tuition reimbursement, and paid time off
Part-time employees may access several of the aforementioned benefits based on meeting certain requirements. All associates receive competitive wages, employee discounts, and flexible scheduling.
Additional Information on Shopko
Always progressing, the retailer recently developed a new chain of stores called Shopko Hometown. Designed to fit the needs of smaller communities with populations around 5,000, the new locations boast in-house pharmacies and similar but more limited product lines than classic company concept. The hometown concept also provides optical facilities carrying wide selections of frames and lenses. New stores need experts to administer eye exams and assist patients with all optical needs. Additional employment opportunities like pharmacist technician jobs prove ideal for aspiring pharmacists or students entering the medical field.