A global shoe retailer, SKECHERS operates in roughly 120 countries and offers widespread employment opportunities through 1,000-plus stores and two distribution centers worldwide. Applicants may find work domestically or abroad in both full-time and part-time capacities.
Facts About Working at SKECHERS
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at SKECHERS?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Cashier, Customer Service Representative, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
SKECHERS Employment Outlook
Based out of Manhattan Beach, CA, SKECHERS sells West Coast-inspired footwear, apparel, and accessories marketed toward people with active lifestyles. During the hiring process, store locations screen workers for similar personalities, including enjoyment of athletics, fashion, and interacting with the general public. Work environments often prove fast-paced due to centralized storefronts in major metropolitan commercial districts. The popular shoe store focuses business concepts on innovative designs and dedication to customer service. Applicants able to keep pace and demonstrate self-starting and creative attitudes often make ideal candidates for available jobs.
Most of the employment opportunities available include part-time, entry-level sales and stock roles. Individuals interested in managerial careers may find viable options for employment with the prominent chain as well; however, limited openings remain available to work as managers, as candidates must possess related backgrounds, high school diplomas or equivalents, and proven leadership abilities to receive hiring consideration for managerial jobs. SKECHERS sets the minimum age for employment at 18. Additional qualifications center on personality traits, availability, and reliable means of transportation.
SKECHERS Jobs and Salary Options
Applicants may access available jobs online or inquire about employment opportunities in store at nearby locations. A majority of work remains entry-level in nature, with customer service, stock, and sales responsibilities prevalent regardless of job title. The shoe store offers paid training and development programs to encourage growth from within. SKECHERS jobs also feature competitive pay scales and access to employee benefits packages. A list of the most common job titles for hire follows:
- Key job duties include greeting customers, recommending merchandise, providing access to fitting rooms, explaining store policies, and ringing up purchases.
- Sales associates also handle returns, stock out merchandise, and clean or straighten store aisles and displays.
- Typical hours fall between 15 and 30 per week; however, sales associates may work full-time and enjoy traditional 40-hour schedules.
- Basic understandings of fashion and extroverted personalities greatly benefit prospective employees.
- Pay scales sit at minimum wage and rise with experience.
- Experience in the retail industry and time spent with the company often result in promotion.
- Workers meeting the minimum criteria for managerial careers enjoy the options of assuming assistant retail manager and retail manager job titles.
- Responsibilities include hiring and training entry-level associates, scheduling, opening and closing store locations, supervising staff, and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Managers order products, coordinate shipments, track sales and losses, and report to company corporate representatives, as well.
- Assistant managers traditionally earn between $9.00 and $10.00 per hour.
- Retail managers make $35,000 to $40,000 a year at start and as much as $55,000 in salary.
Tips For Applying
Creativity, availability, and dedication serve as three major hiring points personnel consider when reviewing applicants. Styles and designs sold in stores embody both the spirit of athletics and trending fashions. Workers should highlight any experience in fashion or design on required employment forms to bolster chances of formal consideration. Applicants should also indicate openness to varying schedules, as most new-hires assume night, weekend, and holiday schedules initially. Excellent track records of attendance and reliability also prove favorable.
Applicants who submit hiring forms online may check on the statuses of submitted documents via the company careers page. Workers initially create profiles through the job portal to access available employment and then submit applications using the login information. The individual profiles provide personalized landing pages, which include links to check on previously submitted applications. Motivated job seekers may also call, email, or visit store hiring managers personally to inquire about the next steps in the employment process. Most entry-level applicants complete the hiring process in as little as week. Managerial candidates may spend as much as two or three weeks going through necessary onboarding protocol.
Benefits of Working at SKECHERS
SKECHERS employment benefits profit both part-time and full-time workers. At base levels, employees enjoy merchandise discounts, paid training, and competitive pay scales. Workers must assume regular, full-time positions to gain access to job benefits packages. After six months of service, full-time associates enjoy 401(k) retirement plans. Three months after hire, full-time employees receive:
- Vision and life insurance coverage.
Associates with less than five years of tenure immediately accrue 80 hours of vacation per year, with the ability to rollover unused vacation for use later on. Full-time employees with five or more years with the shoe retailer receive up to 120 hours a year. Rolled-over vacation may total as much as 240 hours.
More Details on SKECHERS
In August 2011, American long-distance runner Meb Keflezighi signed on with SKECHERS to an endorsement deal. The sponsorship represented the first partnership between the brand and a major sports figure in running. New to the market, the international retail chain sought to expand the company image to include serious athletes. The move shocked much of the competitive running world, as Keflezighi formerly ran under the sponsorship of competitor Nike. Meb Keflezighi went on to win the U.S. Olympic Marathon Time Trials in 2012, placed fourth in the marathon at the London Olympics, and won the 2014 Boston Marathon, the first American male to win the event in 31 years.