Initially serving the Texas area, Southwest Airlines has since expanded to become the world's largest low-cost carrier. The company now serves millions of customers annually and travels to over 40 states.
Facts About Working at Southwest Airlines
Minimum Age to Work at Southwest Airlines: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Southwest Airlines?)
Southwest Airlines Hours of Operation: Hours vary by job title and airport
Available Positions at Southwest Airlines: Customer Service Representative, Airline Administrative Support, Flight Attendant, Pilot, Ticket Agent, Ramp Agent, Operations Agent, Security Officer, Air Traffic Controller, Baggage Handler, Cabin Crew Member, Maintenance Technician, Aircraft Mechanic, Sales Representative, Facilities Technician, Reservations Clerk, Inspector
Drive for Lyft! Call 855-407-9995 to apply
Southwest Airlines Job OpportunitiesAdaptable Work Environment
To keep up with demand, Southwest Airlines hires more than 40,000 people. Those in both full-time and part-time roles perform various tasks to keep operations running smoothly. Workers enjoy flexible scheduling and can pick up extra shifts to earn overtime pay.Good Starting Point
Though the company prefers candidates with well-rounded resumes for some roles, many entry-level Southwest Airlines jobs require little to no experience. All personnel learn skills like management and administrative responsibilities.In-House Training
Supervisors look for individuals who view customer service and safety as top priorities. Employees in Southwest Airlines careers can enroll in programs covering job duties. There are also classes available to prepare workers for advancement.
Employment and Salary Information for Southwest Airlines
Applicants for a Southwest Airlines job must be 18 years old and hold a high school diploma. There are several entry-level jobs, such as:
- Those in this role handle and load luggage.
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure are musts.
- Ramp agents receive around $12.00 per hour.
- Hourly wages for flight attendants start between $20.00 to $30.00.
- Job duties include keeping cabin conditions clean and safe.
- Candidates should be outgoing and friendly.
- This Southwest Airlines career consists of greeting guests upon boarding.
- Operations agents must be friendly and helpful when assisting passengers.
- Pay rates begin around $12.00 an hour.
- Staff cleans dirt and debris from planes after flights.
- These employees are responsible for taking inventory of airplane equipment.
- Aircraft maintenance workers earn between $10.00 and $15.00.
Tips for Applying
Job seekers can apply online for open positions. To submit a Southwest Airlines application, hopefuls can create a profile. Important information to include are points like job history, skills, education, and personal achievements. They can also opt to upload a resume through the website.
Those who are eligible typically receive contact within a month of submitting a Southwest Airlines job application form. A hiring manager will reach out to set up a job interview. Applicants who do not hear back may choose to follow up by phone or email.
Benefits of Working at Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines careers get competitive salary packages and chances for promotion. They may also see job perks like:
- Paid time off with free travel
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Healthcare coverage with medical insurance for vision and dental
- Life insurance
On top of paid vacation and 401(k) plans, Southwest Airlines jobs offer a variety of other employment benefits, like diverse salary options and long-term disability.
Additional Information about Southwest Airlines
The company promotes the growth of its employees. Southwest Airlines offers leadership and public speaking seminars for professional and personal development.