A chain with operations in more than 20 U.S. states, Speedway serves as a highly viable source for entry-level employment. More than 2,700 gas stations fall under control of the nationwide chain, which includes thousands of careers in part-time and full-time capacities.
Facts About Working at Speedway
Minimum Age to Work at Speedway: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Speedway?)
Speedway Hours of Operation: Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Available Positions at Speedway: Customer Service Representative, Sales Associate, Cashier, Gas Station Attendant, Shift Leader, Food Steward, Maintenance Technician, Assistant Store Manager, General Store Manager
Speedway Interview Videos
Speedway Job Opportunities
Speedway ranks as one of the largest convenience store chains in the United States. Domestic job options include opportunities from entry-level attendant and maintenance positions to work in the company corporate offices based in Enon, OH. However, most job seekers find work in the widespread network of fueling stations. The stores typically sit conveniently along well-traveled highways or at busy intersections. Easy access to the gas station locations generally increases interest among prospective associates. Employee discounts on products and services also stand as significant draws for work.
The gas station chain offers customer-focused and service-oriented work settings. Face-to-face confrontations take place with patrons on a daily basis. Irregular hours force workers to adopt flexible schedules, including the possibility of night, weekend, or holiday shifts. Like most competing chains, Speedway requires no formal experience or skills for entry-level employment consideration. Many teens and young adults use the position of attendant as a stepping stone, career starter, or resume builder. Motivated individuals looking to join the company long-term also enjoy the opportunities for professional growth and development available.
Speedway Positions and Pay Information
Hiring starts at age 18 for individuals interested in Speedway jobs. The nationwide company offers varying schedules to workers and provides complete and paid on-the-job training. Part-time positions in entry-level roles stand the most readily available, with careers in management constantly for hire, as well. Gas station job seekers often find work in the following positions:
Customer Service Representative
- Available in part-time and full-time roles, customer service representative jobs cater to individuals with flexible schedules, excellent interpersonal skills, and dedicated and reliable personalities.
- Primary functions include greeting and assisting customers, ringing up purchases, stocking out merchandise, maintaining clean and sanitary work stations, and promoting the in-house rewards program.
- Occasional manual labor associated with the job title encourages applicants to apply in good health.
- Pay begins at minimum wage.
- Experience may raise hourly rates to $8.00 or $9.00.
Food Service Specialist
- Speedway food service specialist positions deal primarily in the preparation and serving of food and drinks.
- Replenishing materials and supplies and ensuring proper presentation of food remain vital to the position, as well.
- The position involves working directly with customers.
- Serving samples, making recommendations, and physically preparing orders represent typical daily tasks.
- Employees in the role repeatedly lift, bend, push, and relocate items in excess of 50lbs.
- Stamina on foot proves advantageous.
- Food service specialists also earn minimum wage starting pay and receive increases based on experience.
- Workers may also take interest in full-time career options in management.
- Jobs available generally require some experience in high-volume retail settings or equivalent leadership roles.
- Specific titles include shift leader, co-manager, and manager.
- Shift leaders typically undertake general supervision duties and prepare stores for opening/closing.
- Co-managers and managers remain in charge of hiring employees, training associates, and ensuring workers follow company protocol.
- Some locations may prefer upper-level managers to possess college educations.
- Shift leaders make hourly wages of roughly $9.00 to $10.00, while co-managers and managers earn annual salary options falling between $30,000 and $50,000, on average.
Tips For Applying
Possessing an open schedule helps put an applicant ahead of other potential associates. The gas station chain thrives on 24-hour operations and needs individuals able to assume odd hours to fill entry-level and managerial roles. Workers should indicate open availability both on applications and throughout the hiring process. Shift preference often becomes available over time upon hire.
The gas station chain reviews the information provided once applicants submit hiring forms and contacts eligible associates to schedule job interviews. In most cases, candidates receive notices to attend interviews within a week. Two weeks may prove necessary in instances where several individuals apply for the same job. Hiring managers usually invite applicants to interview by telephone. Workers may choose to follow up on applications prior to hearing back from management by phone or email.
Benefits of Working at Speedway
Job benefits available to employees vary by position. The nationwide gas station chain offers basic work benefits to both part-time and full-time associates, including retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, and competitive pay scales. Full-time workers reap further employment benefits and enjoy:
- Dental and life insurance plans
- 401(k) retirement plans, and
- Bonus incentives
Further Details on Speedway
In 1991, Speedway began a partnership with Children’s Miracle Hospital Network. Each gas station under company control provides donation boxes for customers to contribute to if desired. Total donations exceeded $60 million, as of October 2014. The fueling station company also maintains professional ties with United Way.