Started as a mail-order catalog business and eventually growing into the current retail chain, Spencer's Gifts offers consumers access to a variety of novelty and gag gifts in over 600 stores in North America. Always on the lookout for creative personalities in search of both part-time and full-time employment, the specialty retailer consistently hires for new associates in retail sales and management positions.
Facts About Working at Spencer's
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Spencer's?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Cashier, Sales Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Spencer’s Interview Videos
Spencer’s Gifts Job Opportunities
Based mostly in shopping malls, Spencer’s Gifts provides customers with a variety of specialized products ranging from clothing, posters, and decor to body jewelry and collectible figures. Entry-level employees generally work as sales associates, with duties involving assisting customers, running cash registers, and restocking merchandise. Team members must display creative personalities, strong interpersonal skills, and accommodating schedules, as most positions start as part-time. Hiring requirements for entry-level staff stand more lenient than upper level employment, resting mostly on meeting age minimums and possessing a high school diploma or equivalent.
The specialty retail store hires both entry-level job seekers and experienced retail managers on a regular basis. Interested applicants may apply online or by filling out paper applications in store. While entry-level positions typically demand less strenuous hiring requirements, managerial applicants must usually meet several prerequisites regarding both education and experience for employment consideration. Flexible scheduling, including availability to work nights and weekends, may facilitate lauded hiring evaluations. Spencer’s Gifts sells a variety of adult selections which typically excludes the hiring of anyone under the age of 18.
Spencer’s Positions and Salary Information
Spencer’s offers employees fun, challenging, and fast-paced work environments. Applicants with creative, high energy, and fun personalities typically fit basic requirements for employment with the specialty retailer. Crew members enjoy competitive wages, access to exceptional work benefits, and flexible scheduling in the following positions:
- Employees in sales associate positions must demonstrate effective sales acumen while assisting guests on the sales floor.
- Responsible for selling, maintaining, and restocking merchandise, associates must also answer customer questions, requests, and problems correctly and knowledgeably.
- Sales associates must also assist in keeping stores clean, efficient, and profitable through clever visual merchandising.
- Workers also retain accountability for correctly ringing out patron purchases, processing returns, and utilizing POS systems correctly.
- Starting hourly wages for sales associates rest at or around $8.00.
- Sales supervisor operate as low-level managers for the specialty retailer, assisting store managers in scheduling, mentoring, and training entry-level employees.
- Additional responsibilities include merchandising, preparing proper signage, and managing loss prevention.
- Supervisors may also perform inventory, sales preparations, and resolve customer-related issues.
- Sales supervisors must also perform associate duties alongside subordinate team members and usually earn hourly wages near $9.00.
- Assistant managers support store managers with daily administrative tasks.
- Managers must provide leadership, motivates, and effectively coaches subordinate workers through daily tasks.
- Employees in supervisory roles also must manage loss prevention, complete all sales, personnel, and inventory paperwork, merchandise, produce signage, and coordinate efficient sale plans.
- Managers also need to ensure guest enthusiasm by creating and maintaining fun, interactive store atmosphere which in turn drives positive sales.
- Starting salary options for managers retailer begin around $35,000 annually.
Tips for Applying
Applicants may express desires to work for the specialty retail chain by either applying online through the company job portal or via standard paper applications in person. When applying online, candidates must first create a profile consisting of personal information, previous work experience, and education. Creating profiles allows for candidates to apply for multiple positions at a time, which furthers the likelihood of meeting with hiring personnel for job interviews. When applying in store, job seekers should dress accordingly, fill out all hiring materials with accuracy and completeness, and ask hiring managers about the typical interview process in order to show genuine interest in the position desired.
Potential employees typically hear back from hiring managers within a week about potential interviews for available positions. In receiving no contact in the allotted time, applicants may wish to contact stores through various methods in order to determine job status. By calling stores, applicants show persistence and sincere interest to hiring managers. If possible, go to the store of hiring preference in order to speak to management about the formal process for review. Dress accordingly, as managers may wish to interview on the spot and professional dress may further show earnestness and determination.
Benefits of Working at Spencer’s Gifts
Eligible crew members enjoy comprehensive job benefits packages including vacation, sick, and holiday pay. Other work benefits comprise of insurance coverage, such as:
- Life and disability, and
- Enrollment in 401(k) retirement plans.
All employees experience generous merchandise discounts, competitive wages, flexible scheduling options, and opportunities for career advancement.
Supplementary Information for Spencer’s Gifts
Spencer’s offers customers the opportunity to purchase message bracelets to show support for various causes and charities. Each bracelet remains unique to the respective organization and patrons may purchase the bracelet either online or in stores. The specialty retailer also allows for donations without the purchase of a wristband. One-hundred percent of the proceeds go to the individual organizations, including stupidcancer.org and the Young Survival Coalition.