With over 450 locations in 45 states, applicants generally find a remarkable amount of job opportunities with sporting goods retailer The Sports Authority. For sports enthusiasts, customer service mavens, and career-minded professionals alike, opportunities persist with some frequency.
Facts About Working at Sports Authority
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Sports Authority?)
Available Positions: Customer Service Associate, Cashier, Sales Associate, Specialist, Technical Services Associate, Department Manager, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Delivery and Assembly Manager, Maintenance Technician, Security Associate, Administrative Associate, Driver, Internal Auditor, Field HR Manager, Visual Coordinator, Technical Service Associate, Store Manager in Training, Distribution Center HR Manager, Analytics Supervisor, Lead Maintenance Technician, Digital Production Specialist
Sports Authority Employee Interview Videos
Sports Authority Job Opportunities
Utilizing a firm understanding of customer bases devoted to sports, proper equipment and attire, and fair pricing, Sports Authority consistently seeks individuals to personify and achieve such goals. Entry-level employees typically serve in sales capacities helping customers make selections, finding items upon request, and demonstrating proper use when necessary. Other regular roles may include work as cashiers, stock associates, or as part of cleaning crews. Though no real experience in retail may prove necessary to obtain most associate jobs, a true understanding of the various products and knowledge of sports may prove beneficial to job seekers in lieu of actual work experiences.
Sports Authority also actively pursues candidates with extensive retail, customer service, and leadership abilities to serve as managers and department supervisors. Responsibilities regularly include performing administrative tasks in order to provide smooth day-to-day operations. While entry-level roles may necessitate little previous experience, management positions typically require additional experience, schooling, and, at times, certifications in order to meet hiring expectations. All employees may need to pass background checks and drug screenings in order to receive confirmation of hire, as well.
Positions and Salary Information at Sports Authority
Minimum age requirements stand at 18 years old in order to apply for most entry-level positions with the sporting goods retailer. In order to qualify for management positions, or any position dealing with the sale of firearms, requires applicants stand 21 years of age. The following positions stand most readily available:
- Encompassing many similar positions, sales associates provide interaction with customers, assist in finding merchandise, provide appropriate sales information, and take final payments by means of cash registers.
- Employees should possess the desire to work in competitive environments, aspirations to combine hard work and fun atmospheres, and enjoy sports of all kinds.
- While most entry-level positions require virtually no previous experience, applicants with a background in retail may receive hiring preference over less-qualified job seekers.
- A sales associate may earn a starting hourly wage around $9.00.
- Check out our Sports Authority sales associate job description, including an interview with a former associate.
- A team leader acts as a direct supervisor to all sales associates.
- Responsible for driving department efficiency, finding, hiring, training, and developing new associates, and setting and completing sales goals, team leaders must also oversee daily operations.
- Other duties include merchandising, scheduling, price changes, and processing daily reports to upper management.
- A team leader must possess up to five years of prior retail experience in order to qualify for the position, though the role remains attainable through in-store promotion, as well.
- A team leader may earn up to $16.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
The sporting goods chain offers applicants an opportunity to join the company talent network by signing up for a profile online. Once finished, each application may take up to twenty minutes to complete fully. Candidates fill in all related personal information and may need to complete a series of pre-employment questions. Answer each question with honesty, completeness, and accuracy. If the applicant so desires, some locations still allow paper applications in store, though other stores may direct candidates back to the online application. The company allows for workers to attach resumes to applications, if desired.
Candidates typically hear back from hiring personnel one to two weeks after applying. Most job seekers receive confirmation of completion through email or by phone, which usually leads to interview requests. For applicants not hearing back from hiring managers, decisions to follow up may prove beneficial. Candidates may choose to inquire about job prospects via telephone or by visiting the preferred store of hire directly.
Benefits of Working at Sports Authority
Associates with Sports Authority qualify for a wide range of employee work benefits upon hire. Employees receive full insurance benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and company paid life insurance and disability. The sporting goods giant also provides education assistance, employee recognition programs, and a MyWellness program featuring access to onsite gyms and various classes. In addition to excellent pay scales, paid trainings, and opportunities for advancement, the company allots strong employee discounts and retirement benefits, including company-matched 401(k) retirement plans.
Additional Information about Sports Authority
For a company devoted to providing only the best in sporting goods and equipment, the dedication encompasses local sports leagues in surrounding communities. Sports Authority works tirelessly to give back to neighborhoods in which the sporting goods chain conducts business. Current partnerships include Pop Warner Little Scholars, USA Football, Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, and the U.S. Youth Soccer Association. The company also provides funding and scholarships to other endeavors promoting healthy lifestyles and physical fitness.