The world's largest office solutions provider, Staples hires diligent workers to fill roles in retail operations. The chain maintains over 1,500 stores across the nation and employs more than 25,000 associates into sales, customer care, copy production, and management roles each year.
Facts About Working at Staples
Minimum Age to Work at Staples: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Staples?)
Staples Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 8:00am-9:00pm; Sat: 9:00am-9:00pm; Sun 10:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at Staples: Cashier, Copy & Print Associate, Copy & Print Expert, Customer Service Lead, Easy Resident Technician, Easy Technology Associate, Easy Technology Expert, Furniture Associate, Inventory Associate, Office Supplies Associate, Service Desk Associate, Solutions Advisor, Tech Advisor, Driver/Courier Productions Center, Production Associate, Production Specialist, Service Delivery Administrator, Distribution Equipment Operator, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Staples Employee Interview Videos
Staples Job Opportunities
To stay on top as a leading office supply store, the retailer hires knowledgeable associates who enjoy working one-on-one with customers to provide custom solutions. Ideal candidates exhibit friendly attitudes and thrive in fast-paced environments. Most every position requires some level of skill in sales. The chain sets the minimum age of hiring consideration at 18 years old and generally prefers to select people with some retail experience.
Anyone interested in working at a major office supply retailer who treats employees well should consider employment with the chain. Each store maintains a collaborative environment where associates assist one another to accomplish common goals. Committed to employee development, the company offers dedicated training to acclimate associates to roles. After training, workers may take control of professional career paths by developing new skills and taking on additional responsibilities.
Staples Positions and Salary Information
In need of entry-level workers and experienced professional alike, the retailer offers both part-time and full-time opportunities in each location. To entice the right people to apply, the retailer offers competitive pay with every role. Positions commonly available with the chain include sales associate, copy center associate, and cashier. The following breakdown shows the responsibilities and pay corresponding with each role:
- Sales associates provide prompt, attentive assistance to customers on the sales floor.
- Working in customer-centric environments, associates listen to guest needs and provide ideal solutions.
- Associates may also perform front-end responsibilities, like checkout, returns, and online ordering.
- When not interacting with customers, sales associates clean and organize the sales floor to create inviting environments.
- Sales associates often make about $9.00 an hour.
Copy Center Associate
- Copy center associates provide printing and copying services at in-store copy centers.
- Often balancing multiple projects, copy associates ensure guests receive quality printed materials under quick turnaround times.
- The entry-level associates often work with small businesses requiring regular printing and should develop relationships with the customers to encourage repeat business.
- Pay for a copy center associate generally stands at $9.00 hourly.
- Working strictly at the front-of-house, cashiers stand at the checkout area and complete customer purchases.
- Using advanced POS systems, cashiers scan products, process payments, and look up product availability in store or at nearby locations.
- Cashiers follow loss prevention procedures, such as checking supply containers or pockets of computer bags before scanning and bagging the items.
- When necessary, cashiers stock front-end racks with merchandise.
- At the end of a shift, an associate balances daily cash register paperwork.
- Cashier hourly pay usually ranges from about $8.50 to $9.00 per hour.
Tips For Applying
Applicants need to apply for store jobs online. The process begins by searching for jobs, which involves candidates clicking position titles to learn more about the roles. Interested applicants should click Apply Now to begin the application process. Candidates may expedite the application process by connecting applications to LinkedIn profiles or uploading resumes. The process automatically pulls personal information from the social media sources, so candidates may avoid manually filling out personal information, including name, address, and phone number. Applicants also need to fill out questionnaires, which inquire about U.S. citizenship, past employment with the company, relatives working for the company, and age range. The application also asks potential employees to fill out daily shift availability. To improve hiring chances, candidates want to list wide availability.
On average, candidates hear back from hiring personal within one or two weeks of applying. The chain tries to get back to all applicants but first contacts candidates selected for further evaluation. Candidates not initially selected for roles remain on file for a year and may receive contact for future opportunities. To check on hiring status, associates should log into the personal profiles created for the application and look for the submission status section for updates. Candidates determined to work for the company should contact the store for desired employment within a week of applying and inquire about application status. The gesture indicates the resolve to work for the company and often boosts candidate standings.
Staples Employee Benefits
In addition to competitive pay, the office supply store offers attractive job benefits to eligible workers. Packages extend to qualified full-time and part-time workers as well as dependents and families, which may include domestic partners and same-sex spouses. Typical packages consist of work benefits for health, retirement, and personal wellbeing. Health benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage as well as insurance plans covering disability and accidental death. To support financial success, the retail chain provides 401(k) retirement plans with company match and employee stock purchase plans. Personal wellbeing benefits include:
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement, and
- Store discounts as well.
Other Information about Staples
A leading office retail name, Staples sells office products through three key areas: retail, business-to-business, and e-commerce. The international chain operates in over 25 countries, with a presence spanning North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. Headquarters for the chain reside in Boston, MA. To maintain position as the largest office supply provider, the brand continues on a path of rapid expansion by opening new stores. Continually expanding product assortments, the global chain stands as one of the largest internet retailers for office solutions.