As the most extensive chain of privately owned supermarkets in Southern California, Stater Bros. hires local job seekers regularly in order to maintain optimal levels of staff at more than 160 grocery stores throughout the region. The supermarket chain offers a wealth of employment opportunities that prove suitable for a wide variety of candidates. From high school students to career professionals, applicants with any amount of work experience consistently land jobs with the regional grocery retailer.
Facts About Working at Stater Bros.
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Stater Bros.?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Courtesy Clerk, General Merchandise Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Meat Clerk, Meat Cutter, Janitor, Department Manager, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Stater Bros. Job Opportunities
Stater Bros. jobs remain ideal for entry-level workers looking to build a history of employment. The Southern California grocery store chain frequently hires candidates as young as 16 to work as courtesy clerks or baggers. Each supermarket location also oversees the hiring of entry-level candidates to fill job openings spanning a number of different settings within the store. Job seekers routinely find work in departments like bakery, deli, floral, meat, produce, and seafood. Other than courtesy clerk positions, all available jobs impose a minimum hiring age of 18 years.
In addition to hiring for entry-level job vacancies, Stater Bros. offers full-time careers in supermarket management as well as the pharmaceutical industry. Both career opportunities feature attractive yearly salary options and oblige applicants to possess previous related experience. Aspiring pharmacists also need to have the schooling and credentials necessary for dispensing medicine and medical advice. On top of generous annual salaries, full-time career opportunities generally include employment benefits packages supporting both physical and financial wellbeing.
Stater Bros. Vacancies and Wages Information
While candidates for pharmacy jobs may apply online by sending resumes via email, all other potential employees must complete an application form in-person at a store location advertising vacancies in the front window. Stater Bros. only accepts personally delivered job applications submitted when opportunities for employment actually exist. Applicants with the ability to pass a drug test may qualify for jobs like:
- Many employees start out working for Stater Bros. as courtesy clerks.
- Informally known as baggers, courtesy clerks provide a number of services for shoppers.
- Customer services provided include bagging groceries, assisting shoppers with heavy items, and helping patrons to their vehicles.
- Courtesy clerks also gather shopping carts from the parking lot, clean checkout aisles, look up prices when necessary, and restock unpurchased merchandise.
- The entry-level job typically pays between $8.00 and $9.00 per hour.
- Like other clerk associates throughout the store, meat clerks assume responsibility for tasks specific to the department in which they work.
- Job duties include cutting, weighing, and wrapping various meats for customers.
- Meat clerks also replenish display cases and clean the department.
- As meat departments maintain low temperatures to keep the products fresh and sanitary, candidates applying for meat clerk jobs must have the ability to work in cold environments.
- On average, meat clerks enjoy hourly pay rates hovering around $11.00 or $12.00.
- Managers work under various job titles, like key carrier, assistant manager, and store manager, and take charge of maintaining effective levels of sales, inventory, staffing, and customer satisfaction storewide.
- Essential responsibilities range from setting financial targets and placing orders for product shipments to hiring new workers and taking care of customer issues.
- Managers also set employee schedules, delegate daily jobs to hourly associates, and motivate workers to achieve preset sales goals.
- Pay scales for managers fluctuate according to job title, with key carriers often making about $15.00 an hour.
- Assistant managers earn annual salary options of roughly $50,000, while store managers frequently top $100,000 in yearly salary.
Tips For Applying
Applicants heading into the hiring process need to make sure they’re able to pass drug screenings and adhere to strict policies against narcotic use as associates. Pre-employment drug screenings are required for all employees. Job hopefuls use either online applications or traditional, paper hiring documents to apply for work. Allow at least 20 minutes to complete the forms. Using the electronic submission manager allows for multiple submissions, which may increase odds of employment.
The average Stater Bros. worker spends about a week waiting on managers to make contact after handing in applications. Hiring needs may alter the initial time tables used for processing, which could span anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Following up on the employment forms may offset any lags in the system. Reach out via telephone or email to speak directly with managers about application status, or simply stop by to check on the documents personally. Discretion is important when making follow ups. Arriving unexpectedly, during busy hours of operation, may become a nuisance for managers.
Benefits of Working at Stater Bros.
Stater Bros. makes several employment benefits available to associates immediately upon hire. New employees take immediate advantage of flexible schedules, diverse and challenging work environments, and competitive pay. As workers gain experience with the supermarket chain, opportunities for career advancement also arise. The grocery retailer promotes from within whenever possible, allowing entry-level associates to grow into management careers featuring additional job benefits. In addition to a lucrative salary, managers often enjoy employee benefits like:
- Medical insurance
- Paid vacation, and
- 401(k) retirement plans.
Additional Information about Stater Bros.
Founded by twin brothers in 1936, Stater Bros. represents an award-winning retail chain that ranks as the largest private employer in two Southern California counties. The grocery retailer first appeared on the list of Fortune 500 companies in 2005 despite operating regionally within a single state. In 2008, the supermarket chain established Stater Bros. Charities, which donates an average of more than $2 million each year within local communities in the Southern California area. The company also enjoys recognition from various publications as Supermarket Retailer of the Year and one of the best places in the region to shop for groceries.