Headquartered in Corpus Christi, TX, Stripes remains a localized chain of combination convenience stores, gas stations, and restaurants. The company controls over 600 locations in three states and persists as a huge supplier of entry-level jobs for individuals in the central south.
Facts About Working at Stripes
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Stripes?)
Available Positions: Fuel Technician, Maintenance Technician, Dispatch Clerk, Financial Analyst, Payroll Assistant, Internal Auditor, Territory Manager, Fuel Dispatcher, Commerical Sales Associate, Safety and Risk Manager, Employee Benefits Manager, Price Book Coordinator, Systems Support Analyst, Help Desk Representative, Administrative Assistant, Category Manager, Marketing Analyst, Pricing Analyst, Money Order Assistant, Fuel Auditor, Merchandise Handler, Filing Clerk, General Manager
Stripes Job Opportunities
Founded in 1938, the company started as exclusively a fuel provider. By 2006, Stripes transformed into a business of convenience stores known for the iconic red and white stripes and implemented a restaurant brand into each store called Laredo Taco Company. As such, the chain retains a high demand for individuals versed in both the food service and retail industries. Interested candidates with a background in food service prove valuable additions to the Laredo team, and individuals with a retail experience typically work effectively as convenience store team members. Additionally, both industries entail workers possess quality customer service skills, which remains a contributing factor to the success of the combination convenience store and restaurant.
All company workers must stand at least 18 years of age, as the handling of alcohol and tobacco serves a necessary component to the job. Since Stripes offers tuition reimbursement to full- and part-time staff, work with the company remains ideal for university students who desire entry-level employment until graduation. Additionally, career-minded workers remain important to the development of the company. Individuals possessing a high school diploma or the equivalent may receive preference during the screening process; however, interested candidates without such qualifications still stand welcome to apply, as well.
Stripes Positions and Salary Information
As part of a fast-paced industry, Stripes experiences a high rate of entry-level turnover. The company retains a need for both temporary workers and career-oriented individuals willing to learn the overall functionality of the store. Readily available positions include:
- Individuals able to work well and quickly under pressure make model candidates for restaurant associate.
- The position garners an average pay of $8.00 an hour and stands available in both full- and part-time capacities.
- The daily duties of restaurant associates include preparing food to customer preference, maintaining food storage standards, sanitizing and cleaning stations, answering any questions about the menu, promoting sales, remaining knowledgeable about menu items and ingredients, and restocking paper products and other necessary supplies.
- Individuals filling the position must adhere to strict dress codes and, in some areas, hold a Food Handler certification.
- Available as both full- and part-time positions, sales associates earn average hourly wages between $8.00 and $9.00.
- Interested job candidates should possess unwavering energy and enthusiasm, flexible schedules with several weekend and evening hours, and the ability to stand for long periods of time, lift occasional loads, bend, stretch, and squat.
- The face of the company, team members must remain polite and friendly by greeting each customer and handling concerns with poise.
- Additionally, team members stand responsible for restocking merchandise, handling monetary transactions, and performing various cleaning tasks around the store and the fuel dispensers.
- Ideal candidates remain able to work independently and multi-task.
Tips For Applying
Interested individuals may submit an application one of three ways: via email, in person, or apply online. Available job listings remain hosted on the Stripes website and stand accompanied by a printable version of the application, an email address with complementary instructions, and a link to the online application. Applying in person often leads to on-the-spot interviews, so applicants should prepare by dressing appropriately. To submit an online application, individuals must first make a profile and upload a resume. To ensure optimal professionalism, applicants should double check resumes for error and inaccurate information. Candidates should set aside at least an hour to complete online applications as the process entails a personality assessment.
As hiring managers experience a high demand for new talent, applicants should expect to hear from the company within a week or two of submission. After several days, calling or emailing the store to check the status of an application demonstrates follow through and genuine desire to hold the position. Additionally, physically visiting the store during slow business periods to speak with the hiring manager shows tenacity. Interested applicants should remember to stay respectful and professional in dealings with all company personnel.
Benefits of Working at Stripes
At Stripes, full-time employees become eligible for job benefits after 30 days of employment, while part-time staff must wait 60 days to receive access. The company benefits package includes medical coverage which encompasses:
- Short-term disability, and
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- Sick leave
- Vacation days
- Paid holidays, and
- The option of starting 401(k) retirement plans remain available as well.
More Information on Stripes
The Stripes restaurant, Laredo Taco Company, uses fresh and local ingredients to make salsa. To inspire agricultural education and environmental friendliness, the company launched the Fresh Learning Garden. The program affords $200 grants to elementary schools in surrounding communities to aid in the cultivation of gardens. Schools which win the grant also receive an appreciation meal hosted by the chain.