Operating in 20 countries worldwide, Sunglass Hut provides international opportunities for employment through more than 2,000 locations. Entry-level jobs prove the most accessible with the retail chain; however, applicants regularly find viable career options as managers and supervisors.
Facts About Working at Sunglass Hut
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Sunglass Hut?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Shift Leader, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Sunglass Hut Employee Interview Videos
Sunglass Hut Job Opportunities
Most Sunglass Hut stores reside in busy shopping malls, with locations easy-to-find throughout major metropolitan areas. The chain relies heavily on patron foot-traffic and amiable customer service. Workers typically employ suggestive sales techniques and establish immediate trust with customers by greeting shoppers at the door. Job settings include interactive, interpersonal, and fun environments centered on customer shopping experiences. Employees must make customers feel welcome and provide in-depth assistance on products and services as needed. Available jobs also entail minor maintenance, sanitation, and organizational duties.
Despite merchandise lines primarily consisting of eyewear, Sunglass Hut locations maintain fashion-forward approaches to daily operations. Workers must present stylish, kempt, and personable appearances in order to gain employment. Knowledge of popular fashions and the ability to pair eyewear with trending styles of clothing and accessories often benefit prospective employees. Stylish dispositions greatly assist individuals seeking careers with the international retail company, as the home offices in Cincinnati, OH, provide hundreds of viable employment options in positions like visual merchandising and design along with shipping and logistics, human resources, marketing, and accounting.
Sunglass Hut Pay Scales and Employment Information
Sunglass Hut employment opportunities break down into two distinct categories: sales and management. In order to qualify for either class of jobs, workers must stand at least 18 years of age. Careers in management typically carry stricter hiring requirements, including previous experience in the retail industry totaling a minimum of two years. Strong customer service skills and organizational abilities also work to the advantage of potential employees. Descriptions of the two major job divisions, as well as pay and scheduling information, sit listed below:
- The everyday duties of sales associates predominantly include greeting customers at the door, assisting in purchases, recommending products, and processing payments.
- Sales associates also stock and organize shelves and receive shipments of goods.
- Applicants should expect to spend a majority of potential shifts on foot.
- Some moderate lifting may take place throughout the course of any given day, as well.
- Average starting pay hovers around minimum wage.
- With experience, sales associates earn between $9.00 and $10.00 per hour.
- Hours for each sales associate may fluctuate between part-time and full-time depending on specific store needs.
- Each location maintains staffs of assistant managers and a store manager to oversee operations.
- Applicants with experience in the retail industry, high school-equivalent educations, and strong team-building skills generally qualify for employment.
- Assistant managers may work part-time or full-time, while store managers regularly assume full-time hours upon hire.
- Job duties encompass both supervisory and administrative tasks, such as processing payroll, hiring and training staff members, planning store layouts, tracking and ordering inventory, and satisfying customer needs.
- Workers also take responsibility for collecting, organizing, and reporting sales data, scheduling employees, and assisting in sales.
- Assistant manager pay scales fall between $10.00 and $12.00 hourly.
- Store managers typically enjoy annual salary options exceeding $30,000.
Tips For Applying
Applicants often undergo a rather rigorous interview process in order to gain employment. On average, prospective workers sit through multiple hiring sessions lasting upwards of an hour and covering topics like brand names sold in store, customer service abilities, and personal interests. Personal hygiene and overall appearance weigh heavily on hiring decisions for most positions. Candidates should arrive wearing trendy yet professional clothing and well-groomed in order to impress potential managers.
Management usually indicates desires to contact applicants after completing the interview process. To show extra initiative, workers may call, visit, or email locations of choice and further express interests in employment. Many associates report receiving job offers during the final stages of the interview process. On average, candidates spend roughly a week or two going through the necessary protocol for hiring consideration.
Benefits of Working at Sunglass Hut
At the store level, workers typically receive flexible scheduling options, paid training, competitive compensation, and discounts on merchandise and services. The eyewear retailer also provides ongoing career development and advancement opportunities. Employees in full-time roles gain access to comprehensive job benefits packages available through parent company Luxottica Inc., as well. Employment benefits packages may vary by position but regularly include:
- Healthcare and life insurance options
- 401(k) retirement plans, and
- Paid vacation.
Supplemental Details on Sunglass Hut
In addition to retail sales, Sunglass Hut maintains philanthropic operations and supports the non-profit efforts of OneSight, a charitable organization providing vision care and eyewear to underdeveloped countries. Partners since 1988, the two companies maintain staffs of more than 1,000 volunteers who care for and teach citizens of more than 40 countries beneficial eye and vision care techniques and provide onsite assistance to individuals in need. OneSight and the international retailer generate millions of dollars in aid, with proceeds going toward sustained operations abroad.