Sunoco ranks on the Fortune 100 list as a leader in the manufacturing of petroleum and petrochemicals. The oil company serves roughly 4,700 outlets in 26 states and boasts over 100 years of successful business.
Facts About Working at Sunoco
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Sunoco?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Team Member, Assistant Manager, Station Manager
Sunoco Job Opportunities
Cited as one of the most environmentally responsible oil companies, Sunoco lists environmental activities for public interest. The eco-friendly practices of the fueling chain draw both customers and workers alike and contribute to the more than 10,000 workers employed by the corporation. Entry-level job seekers may find ideal opportunities to begin careers or simply gain valuable work experience. Many opportunities reside in the large number of retail gas stations associated with Sunoco and entail working with the general public in the service industry. Other options for work range from supervisory and managerial roles at fueling stations to careers in the company head offices.
Prospective candidates with aptitudes for social interaction remain strong potential employees in the fueling service industry. Workers assist customers in various facets to ensure satisfaction of company services. Most positions require physical demands, including standing for long periods and lifting objects up to 50 pounds. Sunoco specifically requests employees possess math and computer skills, as many retail-based jobs demand use of registers and other electronic equipment commonly found in gas stations.
Sunoco Positions and Pay
High school diplomas or GEDs remain preferable throughout the company; however, candidates looking for work without such documents may still achieve employment. In addition to a valid form of identification, the minimum age required to work stands at 18 years. Sunoco entry-level jobs continue to provide both career-minded individuals and temporary job seekers opportunities for competitive pay and employee benefits. The most common positions for hire sit listed below:
Customer Service Representative
- Customer-focused positions demand thorough understanding and execution of interpersonal skills.
- Jobs with Sunoco gas stations require adaptability, multitasking skills, honesty, and the ability to work within a team.
- Associates consistently clean and maintain facilities, stock inventory, and assist with customer purchases.
- Additionally, successful hires appropriately identify customer needs and correctly interpret orders efficiently.
- Everyday activities include the sale of lottery tickets and handling of cash demanding both math skills and trustworthy personalities.
- Workers may expect occasional tips and discounted store items rounding out the added perks of the job.
- Starting at $8.00 an hour, the chance of promotion may extend hourly pay up to $10.00.
- The shift leader position stands as the first step in a series of possible promotions within Sunoco retail stores.
- Responsible for store operations in lieu of higher management, shift leaders become prime candidates for assistant manager positions.
- Assistant managers learn day-to-day procedures and ensure the profitability of each store and support everyday managerial activities, while maintaining duties carried out by customer service associates.
- Charged with hiring responsibilities, fielding customer complaints, recording money flow, and ordering inventory, store managers top the gas station echelon of job opportunities.
- Manager salary packages range from about $35,000 to roughly $50,000 a year in conjunction with bonus possibilities based on sales success.
Tips For Applying
Individual retailers provide in-store job applications while few locations offer the possibility to apply online. Of the few applications found online, job hopefuls may need to produce resumes. Many applicants report success via in-person applications, as visiting in-person remains ideal to meet staff, which affords advantages over online submissions. When recording availability, keep in mind individuals with flexible schedules garner preference from hiring managers.
Generally, employers schedule interviews within one to two weeks after application submission. For improved odds, politely contact hiring personnel within the two-week timeframe to demonstrate interest and willingness to work. Also, maintain mindfulness of peak hours, which demonstrates awareness of store operations. Remember to dress appropriately for the interview and prepare with common practice questions, such as strength and weakness evaluations. Many retailers contact candidates a few days following the interview to confirm hire. However, the process may extend over a longer period. Applicants may then benefit from follow-up phone calls, emails, or face-to-face encounters with managers.
Sunoco Employee Benefits
Sunoco offers job benefits to most employees in addition to competitive pay and flexible scheduling. Work benefits remain available for eligible full-time employees, including:
- Paid time off and vacation
- Medical and life insurance, and
- 401(k) retirement plans
Possibilities for holiday pay and sick leave may also become available for qualified associates. The company additionally offers tuition assistance and discounted products.
Further Details on Sunoco
Unlike many similar manufacturing companies, Sunoco produces a broad selection of racing fuels. The diverse company acts as the official fuel supplier of NASCAR and retains status as the largest manufacturer and refiner of racing gasoline in the world. In addition to supplying fuel for INDYCAR as well, the contribution to more than 50 additional racing series attests to the benefit of 40 years of innovating racing gas. The energy corporation continues to sponsor racing and announced a 10-year partnership with the NHRA drag racing association effectively marking the Sunoco brand as the official fuel beginning in 2015.