Prominent in California, Superior Grocers offers employment opportunities for entry-level and professional workers at more than 40 stores in the southern part of the state. As part of one of the most successful, privately owned supermarket chains in The Golden State, each grocery store boasts a variety of services and departments. Offerings like meat, seafood, produce, deli, frozen foods, baked goods, and floral options represent classic supermarket amenities. Other departments, like bulk and international foods and the gift card mall, exemplify the more unique qualities of the regional grocery store chain.
Facts About Working at Superior Grocers
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Superior Grocers?)
Available Positions: Grocery Clerk, Service Clerk, Courtesy Clerk, Produce Clerk, Bakery Clerk, Bakery Sales Clerk, Service Deli Clerks, Meat Clerk, Meat Cutter, Seafood Clerk, Assistant Store Manager, General Store Manager
Superior Grocers Employment Opportunities
Superior Grocers must hire on entry-level workers to stock, clean, and maintain each department. In general, the primary duties of associates include providing optimal customer service, stocking items, and maintaining store appearances. Such entry-level work does not typically necessitate previous experience. Job seekers looking to begin careers in the supermarket industry easily obtain employment, as young workers in search of a first job often find cashier or clerk positions at the grocery store chain.
Associates looking to turn a job into a career enjoy advancement opportunities at Superior Grocers. Each supermarket location calls for managerial associates to train, lead, and supervise employees at the frontend of the store as well as in each department. Director positions at the store level allow seasoned professionals to oversee operations of entire locations. The supermarket makes applying for jobs easy by giving simple instructions at the Careers section of the company website. Job seekers submit applications in-person at the location of desired employment or via email to the designated contact listed online.
Superior Grocers Jobs and Salary Information
Superior Grocers requires applicants to stand at least 16 years of age to earn hiring consideration for most entry-level positions. Some departments may enforce an age minimum of 18 years or older due to the regular sale of age-restricted merchandise. Candidates vying for managerial or leadership positions may need prior experience in the supermarket industry and high school diplomas to qualify for upper-level job titles. The regional grocery store chain frequently hires for the following positions:
- Sales ambassadors, or cashier associates, work at the frontend of the store.
- Duties include greeting customers, scanning and bagging items, completing transactions, handling multiple forms of payment, and giving receipts.
- Cashiers often need to memorize popular product codes to increase checkout efficiency.
- Other responsibilities may involve informing patrons of sales and performing cleaning or stocking duties as assigned by the manager.
- Sales ambassador wages hover between $9.00 and $10.00 per hour.
- Superior Grocers clerks perform different duties, depending on the department.
- Bakery, deli, meat, and seafood clerks assist customers with product selections and preparations.
- Grocery, produce, and junior clerks must maintain the organization and cleanliness of assigned store departments.
- Duties usually include stocking, cleaning, and helping customers find products.
- Clerks may need to lift between 15lbs. and 25lbs. on a regular basis and stand on foot for long periods of time during shifts.
- Pay for clerk associates floats around $9.00 or $10.00 per hour.
- Job seekers with specialized skills and several years of experience may obtain jobs as bakers, meat cutters, and cake decorators.
- Specialty position associates must often possess certifications and professional training to perform necessary duties.
- Employees expertly fill specific customer orders and train new associates, as well.
- Although salary options may vary, specialty position associates can earn between $10.00 and $20.00 per hour.
- A litany of available management and leadership positions encompasses a variety of duties.
- Sales managers often work at the department level to maintain smooth operations in designated sections of the store.
- Responsibilities include training associates, assigning duties, and communicating with upper-level store management about department needs.
- Sales leaders work at the frontend of the store, supervising and assisting cashiers with common customer-related or technical issues.
- Both sales leaders and sales managers often make between $14.00 and $16.00 per hour.
- Store managers and assistant store managers must see to the overall success of each location.
- Upper-level management must recruit and train new hires, manage product volume, meet corporate sales goals, correspond with lower-level management, and create positive work environments.
- Assistant manager salary options fall between $40,000 and $50,000 per year.
- Store managers make upwards of $90,000 per year.
Tips For Applying
Superior Grocers uses the application process to find individuals who embody the values of integrity and respect. Paying attention to grooming and dress plays an important role in employment consideration, as grocery store jobs involve interacting with the general public and handling food on a regular basis. Individuals should also possess strong interests in upward mobility within the company and long-term goals to stay with the chain. Most applicants sit through at least one interview to be considered for hire. The interview usually takes place with a department supervisor onsite.
Applying in person usually negates any need to follow up with managers. The California-based chain regularly hires workers on the spot. If not, traditional wait times to hear back on entry-level applications ranges from three to five days. Upper-level supervisory candidates shouldn’t expect to hear back from the supermarket for at least a week or two. While waiting, potential associates may reach out to their respective stores and place phone calls to check on hiring statuses. Making a personal visit a day or two after submitting an application also serves as a great way to follow up with hiring managers.
Benefits of Working at Superior Grocers
Associates may become eligible for employee benefits packages at Superior Grocers. Common work benefits include:
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid vacation and sick days, and
- Company-paid training programs
Employees also enjoy flexible schedules and career advancement opportunities. The regional supermarket chain also allows entry-level associates to float between departments to explore different opportunities and discover new skills.
Superior Grocers Background Information
Superior Grocers offers a wealth of supplementary resources for patrons to peruse online, including nutritional tips and healthy cooking recipes. The regional grocery store takes pride in regular community involvement with surrounding neighborhoods. One of the main initiatives of the grocer remains assisting local schools and empowering children to receive quality education and enjoy a variety of programs. Customers may find out about upcoming community events highlighted on the company website.