SUPERVALU boasts a long history in the supermarket industry, with roots dating back to the early 20th century. Now with more than a thousand locations and proprietorship of a variety of other supermarket banners, the nationwide grocer ranks among America’s leading food retailers. The chain employs an enormous workforce of approximately 120,000 associates and hires new employees constantly.
Facts About Working at SUPERVALU
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at SUPERVALU?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Bagger, Customer Service Representative, Stock Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Meat/Deli Clerk, Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
SuperValu Interview Videos
SUPERVALU Job Opportunities
Although staffing each location proves a continuous task due to increasing customer demands, new store openings, and industry-standard employee turnover rates, employment seekers frequently find entry-level job openings at SUPERVALU stores. Basic job titles like cashier or clerk remain easy to obtain and require applicants to possess little-to-no experience in the supermarket industry for hiring consideration. Entry-level associates enjoy full-time and part-time work options, work benefits, and competitive base pay.
SUPERVALU needs career-minded and experienced individuals to take on managerial positions at each grocery store. Associates with managerial job titles must tackle the responsibility of keeping stores running smoothly and successfully at all times. Managerial personnel enjoy generous salary options and comprehensive benefits packages to compensate for the demanding nature of upper-level jobs. Applicants should provide hiring officials with extensive work experience and major career accomplishments when submitting applications for managerial positions.
SUPERVALU Positions and Pay Scales
Workers as young as 16 years of age may earn valuable customer service and supermarket operations experience via entry-level grocery store jobs like cashier or clerk. SUPERVALU stores also regularly hire skilled individuals to staff various departments like in-store delis, bakeries, and meat counters. Supervisors and managers must typically stand at least 18 or 21 years of age and possess several years of experience in retail leadership. While college degrees typically prove unnecessary for job seekers to earn upper-level positions, most managerial associates must possess a high school diploma or an equivalent. The supermarket chain regularly hires for the following positions:
- Cashiers handle some of the most basic yet vital responsibilities at SUPERVALU grocery stores.
- These employees complete customer transactions by scanning items, handling cash, credit cards, or other payment forms, bagging merchandise, and issuing receipts.
- Cashiers must work efficiently and possess well-rounded awareness of store layouts and popular product codes.
- Workers often assist with other store duties like cleaning and stocking during slower hours.
- Pay for cashiers often starts at minimum wage and works up to $9.00 or $10.00 per hour, depending on tenure and performance over time.
- The job title of clerk serves as a more general term for crew members who work in the various departments across the store.
- Clerks typically focus on completing specific tasks in sections like deli, dairy, meat, seafood, bakery, frozen foods, beer and wine, and grocery.
- Clerks must assist customers with product selections and preparations as well as maintain clean and orderly work spaces in designated departments.
- These associates must often have a handle on general cashier duties, as well.
- Clerk wages vary, with some locations starting new workers out at minimum wage.
- Select stores may start clerks out at $8.00 or $9.00 an hour, with seasoned employees earning up to $20.00 per hour, depending on tenure and duties.
- Team leaders, supervisors, and department managers comprise the lower tier of management positions.
- Associates must typically possess leadership and communication aptitude as well as specific skill sets geared toward various divisions of the store.
- Lower-level management generally assists with hiring and training, assigns duties to subordinates, sees to the success of store teams or departments, and corresponds with store managers on sales goals, inventory, and other duties.
- Team leaders, supervisors, and managers earn anywhere from $11.00 an hour to $40,000 per year, depending on the location.
- Store managers usually supervise operations of the entire store and earn $50,000 to $100,000 in annual salary.
Tips For Applying
Candidates need to consider the positions they’re applying for prior to submitting applications. Read through job descriptions or ask current employees to gain better ideas of the responsibilities and expectations of each position. The online application takes about 30 minutes to complete and requires a unique username and password to create an electronic profile. The availability of paper applications sometimes varies from store to store.
SUPERVALU typically reaches out to desirable candidates by telephone within a week of receiving hiring materials. The onboarding process usually takes anywhere from one week and up to a month to complete, depending on the job title. Calling or stopping by a local store to check on the status of an application often impresses managers and may lead to further review. Show serious interest in gaining employment by asking questions, including inquiries into the next steps in the hiring process and general aspects of the supermarket industry. Asking about pay and company culture is also encouraged.
Benefits of Working at SUPERVALU
As a parent company to many grocery store banners across the United States, SUPERVALU provides excellent incentives for both full-time and part-time employees. On top of competitive pay, qualified associates take advantage of great employee benefits packages consisting of:
- Full healthcare coverage
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Stock purchasing programs
- Paid vacations and holidays, and
- Assortments of other rewards.
New team members may need to work a full 90 days before gaining access to certain job benefits.
Extra Information on SUPERVALU
SUPERVALU locations remain committed to protecting the environment, investing in surrounding communities, ensuring food safety, and maintaining relationships with farmers who practice humane animal treatment. The grocery retailer also partners with organizations that deal with socioeconomic issues related to poverty, like malnutrition and hunger. Additionally, the company encourages each employee to remain active in the community by providing volunteer and charitable donation opportunities.