Sysco employs a dedicated team of over 50,000 workers to deliver high-quality foodservice products. Staff members service over 425,000 customers throughout the United States, Bahamas, Canada, and Ireland. Jobs remain widely available in both domestic and international markets.
Facts About Working at Sysco
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Sysco?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Driver, Merchandiser, Accountant, Business Analyst, Financial Analyst, Administrative Assistant, Shipping and Receiving Clerk, Forklift Operator, Package Handler, General Warehouse Worker, Assistant Warehouse Manager, General Warehouse Manager
Sysco Employment Opportunities
Employees at Sysco commit to making differences in the lives of customers and the success of business partners. Associates hold friendly sales and service relationships while delivering food and kitchen items to restaurants, healthcare facilities, and educational establishments. In order to satisfy consumer appetites, diverse teams of employees take on challenging work related to customer service, warehouse operations, delivery, sales, and food preparation. Workers typically face one-on-one interactions with customers and unique challenges requiring professionalism, ingenuity, and innovation to problem solve.
Various employment opportunities pose obtainable at Sysco, including entry-level jobs requiring only high school diplomas to full-time professional careers needing years of experience and specialized education. Flexible schedules and good work/life balances benefit workers with families, which makes a career with the foodservice provider a popular choice for young professionals looking for steady jobs with plenty of future growth potential. Individuals seeking part-time work may also submit applications to find rewarding opportunities in hourly positions paying competitive wages.
Sysco Job Opportunities and Salary Options
Prospective workers looking for jobs in the foodservice industry may fill out application forms for rewarding opportunities. The company builds winning teams by hiring talented employees to fill jobs such as delivery drivers, salespeople, and warehouse operations specialists. Descriptions of popular positions, including pay scales and hiring requirements, sit listed below:
- Individuals at least 21 years of age and holding Class A commercial driver’s licenses may apply for work as delivery drivers.
- Associates drive tractor trailers to deliver and unload products for customers, while exhibiting excellent customers service skills and maintaining compliance with safety regulations.
- Weekend, holiday, and early morning hours may prove necessary for drivers to meet customer needs.
- Full-time drivers should expect pay packages starting around $60,000 a year.
- Essential duties include operating large trucks during various traffic and weather conditions, effective route planning, working knowledge of inventory control procedures, meeting cases-per-error goals, demonstrating strong customer relation skills, frequently lifting up to 100 pounds while loading and unloading trucks, operating STS units to generate shipment invoices, and following safety protocols.
- Candidates must maintain clean driving records and possess at least one year of commercial driving experience.
Business to Business Food Sales
- Salespeople hold the responsibility of promoting company products and services while forging new business relationships with customers at restaurants, healthcare organizations, and education facilities.
- Team members must also satisfy existing accounts.
- Associates focus on achieving sales goals and maximizing profits.
- Successful sales employees command thorough knowledge of Sysco products and services in order to answer customer questions and provide information.
- Daily job duties include collecting accounts receivable, managing deliveries and troubleshooting problems, such as out of stock items or special orders, participating in friendly customer visits, analyzing reports on sales profit margin data, and preparing sales budgets.
- Qualified candidates possess high school diplomas or GEDs, at least six months of sales or business experience, basic computer skills, and hold valid driver’s licenses.
- Sales associates generally earn yearly salary packages close to $48,000.
- Warehouse Supervisors typically make upward of $55,000 a year for supervising warehouse activities, such as order selection, product replenishment, loading, and ensuring compliance with safety standards.
- Workers stand responsible for monitoring labor hours and consumable supplies, supervising the daily work and safety of employees, enforcing cost-cutting measures, conducting shipping and loading audits, training new associates, holding regular pre-shift meetings, enforcing company policies, and complying with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Qualified workers must hold high school diplomas or equivalents, with associate’s or bachelor’s degrees in business or supply chain management preferred.
- Candidates must obtain Powered Industrial Equipment Certifications from Sysco within three months of hire.
- Associates may receive regular exposure to hot, cold, or wet conditions as well as industrial fumes.
Tips For Applying
Qualified candidates may apply online through the company website, through social media, or by using various third-party sites. Recruiters seeking to hire employees for critical roles may seek out and contact eligible workers through email or social media. Online applications require candidates to either upload resumes, fill out job history forms, or link social media accounts to build resume histories. The hiring process may include multiple interviews either face-to-face or via phone call. Expect a broad range of questions pertaining to behavior and qualifications.
Owing to the length of interview processes, candidates may not receive final decisions from the company for several months. Individuals may check application statuses by calling or emailing human resources representatives. When following up to ask about application statuses, remain polite and present positive attitudes. Individuals may also check online through profiles created on the company website.
Benefits of Employment at Sysco
Sysco offers job benefits to associates pursuing careers or part-time entry-level work. Some employee benefits may include rewarding work with incredible growth potential, great work/life balance, and flexible schedules.
Full-time workers also receive:
- Medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage
- Life insurance for employees and family members
- Healthcare flex-spending accounts
- Paid time off for bereavement
- Holidays, and sick leave
- Paid vacation, and stock purchase plans
Eligible associates may also participate in employer-matched 401(k) retirement plans.
More Information about Sysco
Sysco heads multiple sustainability initiatives ranging from integrated pest management programs to alternative fuel technologies. Farmers who supply the company with fresh fruits and vegetables participate in pest management systems conserving environmentally sensitive land and water sources by encouraging prudent use of pesticides and fertilizers. In addition to following good agricultural practices, machinery and equipment such as forklifts and pallet jacks undergo conversions to use hydrogen fuel cells instead of acid batteries.