Operating in both the United States and Canada, Talbots famously manufactures clothes for women in a variety of sizes for any figure. The retail chain offers an abundance of entry-level work within the current infrastructure consisting of roughly 9,000 employees and 500 retail outlets.
Facts About Working at Talbots
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Talbots?)
Available Positions: Retail Sales Associate, Clerk Cashier, Bagger, Shift Leader, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Talbots Job Opportunities
Talbots evolved from a small, privately owned business to a nationally recognized, public corporation in less than 50 years. As a result of rampant success, job hunters regularly find outlets in about 45 states, and employment prospects continue to rise as the fashion chain becomes more prominent. Fashionable, career-minded applicants as well as students seeking money for school may find the right fit with the chain, as the company offers both part-time and full-time employment in various capacities. The most common positions available stand within retail operations.
Most retailers similar to Talbots require workers knowledgeable of customer service methods. Workers must strike balances between sales initiatives and customer care to maximize profitability while guaranteeing repeat business. Working within the fashion industry, hiring managers look for candidates with love of style and familiarity with company brand apparel. Candidates with in-depth experience may rise through the ranks at faster speeds; however, while no formal experience may prove detrimental, most employers provide training for new-hires. Additionally, recruiters prefer applicants who possess hardworking attitudes, thirst for knowledge, and desire to win.
Talbots Positions and Pay
A majority of retail jobs require computer literacy, sales potential, and basic levels of physical fitness. Working alongside the public ensures only potential hires who possess exuberant interpersonal skills receive jobs. Although some positions require high school levels of competency, the only real requirement remains meeting the working age of 18 years or older. The most anticipated entry-level jobs sit listed below:
- Typically, store associates handle customer care.
- Guiding potential sales through the purchasing process, workers must attempt to upsell as much merchandise as possible while providing excellent customer service.
- Additional duties include maintaining cleanliness of stores, folding and restocking merchandise, and following orders from upper management.
- In general, newly hired workers must fill night and weekend hours.
- Hiring staff take notice of open schedule availability and hire candidates who prove dependable.
- Most sales associates receive hourly wages around $9.00.
- However, along with cash bonuses and commission sharing, up to $16.00 an hour stands achievable for individuals in the entry-level position.
- The highest-paid position within Talbots requires at least four years of management experience.
- General managers must maintain successful stores by increasing sales.
- Recruiting, training, and maintaining of sales teams remain top priorities to ensure the prosperity of any store.
- In addition, hiring recruiters desire individuals possessing strong organizational skills along with multitasking abilities.
- When general managers become overwhelmed, assistant managers step in to ensure efficient completion of additional tasks.
- Store manager salary packages typically range from $45,000 to $80,000 a year, which includes bonuses and commissions.
- Assistant managers must entertain sales associate duties, as well.
- Many assistant managers earn around $25,000 to $35,000 annually.
Tips For Applying
Applicants looking to gain an edge over competing candidates should speak with hiring managers directly after application submission. Whether applying online or in person, candidates may compile lists of references which include phone numbers and addresses of trusted individuals excluding family members. Most store managers seek workers who possess sales abilities and strong work ethics along with determination to succeed. Additional tactics to maximize hiring potential may include practice interviews, knowledge of Talbots fashion lines, and fashionable, personal attire.
Most current employees report an average of two weeks from application submission to hire. Some report as long as a month before hire, while others state only a two-to-three day waiting period. Following interviews, applicants should contact hiring managers to demonstrate personal responsibility and genuine interest for positions. Online applicants may receive interview offers later than one month from submission as stores keep the files on hand.
Benefits of Working at Talbots
The fashion retailer commits to employee welfare and demonstrates worker appreciation through generous job benefits packages. Incentives include:
- Paid time off
- Healthcare coverage and 401(k) retirement plans
Additional work benefits include vision and dental coverage, life and disability insurance, and tuition assistance. The company also provides merchandise discount programs as well as flexible scheduling for employees.
Further Details about Talbots
A non-profit organization, The Talbots Charitable Foundation upholds a positive corporate image and accomplishes the goal in varying facets. In 2014, the foundation instituted an academic scholarship for women seeking college degrees later in life. Named the Nancy Talbot Scholarship Award, the scholarship awards one exemplary candidate $30,000 toward any college institution. The award additionally grants thirty $5,000 awards to other eligible women, as well. Other outreach initiatives include individuals in need as shown by the donation of over $175,000 to the American Red Cross in 2012 and 2013.