With nearly 2,000 stores in the U.S., Target is a top discount retailers of everyday basics, groceries, and electronics. The company is known for its wide variety of private-label brands and partnerships with numerous, well-known lines.
Facts About Working at Target
Minimum Age to Work at Target: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Target?)
Target Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 8:00am-10:00pm, Sun: 8:00am-9:00pm
Available Positions at Target: Cart Attendant, Cashier, Guest Service Attendant, Sales Associate, Team Member
Drive for Lyft! Call 855-407-9995 to apply
Target Employee Interview VideosListen to former employees discuss working at Target:
Job Opportunities at Target
The retailer employs over 300,000 associates around the world. Continued growth allows Target to employ new workers frequently. Applicants who enjoy fast-paced settings and daily customer interactions are typically hired to work with the chain.
Multiple Roles and Daily Tasks
Target employees assist customers, organize shelves, and handle client questions and concerns. The retail chain hires applicants with interests in fashion and sales but also brings on workers with no prior experience. Candidates must be 16 years or older to apply.
Target Positions and Salary Information
Many available jobs with Target are entry-level careers. Managers are usually the only positions that require past retail experience and further education. Stores hire new workers regularly for the following roles:
Team Member / Sales Associate
- Team members maintain the neatness and organization of their department, price items, and arrange products.
- Employees must be friendly and have the ability to stand, bend, and lift for entire shifts.
- When hired, new employees typically earn around $9.00 an hour.
- Browse the Target sales associate job description to learn more about the position.
- Associates scan and bag items at registers, take payments, and assist customers as needed.
- Starting wage is around $9.00 hourly.
- Ideal candidates are polite, enjoy working with the public, and are able to work flexible shifts.
- Gain further insight with the Target cashier job description.
- Target cart attendants collect shopping carts from parking lots and assist customers.
- Cart attendants typically earn around minimum wage and may work in other departments, as needed.
- Good physical fitness and a willingness to work outside is necessary to work as cart attendants.
- Take a look at the Target cart attendant job description.
Guest Service Attendants
- Guest service attendants help customers find items throughout the store.
- Starting hourly wages begin at a $9.00 per hour.
- Hiring managers look for applicants with outgoing personalities and the ability to multitask.
Tips for Applying
Candidates can apply for careers with Target either in person or online. Paper application forms are available in stores or job seekers can search for openings on the company website. The retailer also encourages applicants to sign up for email alerts that tell users when new jobs open up.
Job Application Status
Candidates receive confirmation emails when online applications are completed. Statuses can also be checked on Target’s career site by logging in to online profiles. Hiring managers typically set up interviews within a couple of days.
Job Benefits at Target
Many workers receive job benefits such as:
- Medical insurance
- Life insurance
- Prescription drug coverage
- Maternity support
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off
- Store discounts.
More Information about Target
Target participates in the 100,000 Opportunities Initiative program. Alongside other companies, the project works to provide jobs, internships, and training to 100,000 young adults who normally struggle getting jobs. The retailer and its partners have worked toward this goal since 2015.
Seasonal Job Openings
Due to increased traffic during the holiday season, many Target stores may stay open longer. Seasonal and regular, full-time employees may need to work extra shifts, including nights, weekends, and possibly holidays. Many seasonal employees typically fill retail and customer service positions. Common seasonal jobs include cashier, sales associate, and product stocker positions. Starting pay for seasonal employees ranges from $8.00 to over $10.00 an hour.