Short for The Country's Best Yogurt, TCBY boasts the largest frozen yogurt brand in the world and operates more than 350 locations across the United States. Each location employs varying numbers of workers and hires regularly to fill job openings that arise. With demand for frozen yogurt increasing, the chain must oversee additional hiring to ensure adequate levels of customer service companywide.
Facts About Working at TCBY
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at TCBY?)
Available Positions: Team Member, Cashier, Shift Leader, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Maintenance Technician
TCBY Employment Opportunities
TCBY employees work in either traditional, nontraditional, or self-serve frozen yogurt shops. Job seekers applying for entry-level employment must possess strong social skills, as each store format puts workers in interactive situations with customers on a regular basis. Associates working at traditional locations provide full counter service, while employees at nontraditional outlets work within airports and malls. Self-serve shops, while allowing patrons to personally put together fully customized frozen yogurt creations, still require entry-level workers to serve and interact with customers at checkout counters.
Applicants pursuing careers in management need to possess highly developed customer service skills, as well. In addition to implementing and enforcing high standards of customer service among entry-level associates, managers take responsibility for dealing with any guest issues or concerns that may arise. Managerial employment opportunities typically feature specific hiring requirements with regards to previous work experience, as managers should already know how to maximize sales, control costs, analyze financial records, and hire effectively.
TCBY Jobs and Salary Information
As frozen yogurt continues to grow in popularity, TCBY must accommodate increasing demand by hiring entry-level and managerial workers to meet the needs of health-conscious customers. Potential employees must comply with the minimum hiring age, which varies by franchise and typically starts around 16 years. All available jobs feature competitive pay scales and several employment benefits, including unique opportunities to sample new products and other menu items at work. Popular job titles include:
- Entry-level team members fulfill a range of customer service and food handling duties.
- Workers greet patrons and prepare frozen yogurt creations, in addition to collecting payments and finalizing sales at the cash register.
- Other job responsibilities include cleaning work stations and dining areas, replenishing frozen yogurt and toppings, and answering questions about TCBY products.
- As an entry-level position, the job typically requires little or no previous work experience to earn hiring consideration.
- Applicants should possess basic math skills and the ability to work flexible schedules determined by current business needs, especially during the summer season.
- Team member jobs feature hourly pay rates typically starting around $8.00 or $9.00.
- Commonly offered managerial job titles include shift supervisor, assistant manager, and store manager.
- The management team comes up with strategies to boost sales, puts new product lines into operation, oversees and orders inventory, assigns employee work schedules, and makes sure customers remain satisfied.
- Additional job duties involve the hiring, training, and supervising of entry-level workers.
- Management careers typically call for applicants to hold high school diplomas and previous related work experience, preferably supervisory in nature.
- College coursework or degrees sometimes prove preferable or even necessary for securing more advanced store manager positions.
- Managing a frozen yogurt shop generally represents a full-time commitment and often features extended or irregular hours.
- Specific pay scales depend on job title, experience, and location.
- Shift supervisors usually receive hourly pay hovering between $9.00 and $10.00.
- Annual salary options for assistant managers typically start around $25,000, while store managers often earn upwards of $35,000 a year.
Tips For Applying
Because each TCBY store operates as an independently owned franchise, job seekers should identify a preferred location before starting the application process. While some locations accept online job applications, others require prospective employees to apply in person. When visiting a store to apply for a job in person, applicants should maintain professional appearances and ask to speak with the manager in charge of hiring. Looking professional and speaking directly with a worker involved in the hiring process helps demonstrate initiative and leaves a memorable impression on the person responsible for making job offers. Before applying in person, job seekers should create resumes or detailed summaries of prior work experiences and prepare to discuss reasons for selecting the frozen yogurt chain as an ideal place of employment.
Whether submitting the application forms online or in person, observing proper follow-up etiquette may make the difference between landing the job and being passed over in favor of other, more memorable and motivated candidates. For entry-level positions, applicants may contact the manager responsible for hiring about a week or two after submitting the necessary forms for employment. Limiting follow-up contact to once a week or two to three times per month shows persistence and interest in the job while demonstrating respect for the time of the manager and basic knowledge of how hiring works. Ideally, job seekers should ask about the timeline of the hiring process during the initial follow-up and use the information to schedule additional follow-up calls accordingly, if needed at all.
Benefits of Working at TCBY
TCBY associates enjoy access to several employment benefits immediately upon hire. Part-time and full-time workers enjoy fun and casual work environments, flexible schedules, employee discounts, and career advancement opportunities. The frozen yogurt chain often rewards the outstanding performances of entry-level employees with promotions into leadership positions and management careers featuring additional job benefits. Employment benefits packages for full-time managers and other eligible associates typically feature:
- General medical coverage
- Dental and vision plans, and
- Financial benefits like pay raises and bonus programs
- Paid time off, and
- 401(k) retirement plans.
Available job benefits often vary by franchise location.
Additional Information on TCBY
Established in 1981, TCBY ranks as the first frozen yogurt chain in the country. The successful franchiser boasts menus featuring dozens of frozen yogurt flavors as well as sorbets. Many selections qualify as dairy-free, vegan, or gluten-free. In 2011, the company implemented a new way to categorize frozen yogurt called Super Fro-Yo. Frozen yogurt classified as Super Fro-Yo must contain certain amounts of Vitamin A, calcium, protein, Vitamin D, fiber, and probiotics. In addition to soft-serve and hand-scooped yogurt, the frozen dessert chain offers specialty items like banana splits, milkshakes and malts, parfaits, and sundaes.