Named to play on the title "Heaven of Tea," Teavana introduces customers to a variety of tea aromas, textures, and tastes. The specialty tea retailer allows patrons to purchase tea by the cup or various other tea products and accessories in stores. The franchise boasts more than 300 locations throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico, which means plenty of job openings for interested applicants.
Facts About Working at Teavana
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Teavana?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Retail Store Manager, Call Center Sales Manager, Facilities Maintenance Technician, Manager in Training, Ecommerce Marketing Manager, Corporate Purchasing Associate, Staff Accountant, Visual Merchandising Manager
Teavana Job Opportunities
Teavana offers positions ranging from barista to store manager, which allows applicants to explore part-time and full-time, entry-level opportunities. Jobs at a majority of locations require interaction with customers and attention to store upkeep. The international chain refers to employees as teaologists, so prior knowledge about the 100 loose leaf teas sold in store serves as a desirable trait for prospective workers.
As the company grows at a rate of 50 to 60 new stores per year, the chain continues looking for employees who open to growth, as well. The company website defines retail teams as innovative, creative, and dedicated. Teavana also promises candidates for sales associates and baristas positions development opportunities to quickly advance to supervisory or managerial careers.
Teavana Positions and Salary Information
Teavana hosts employment opportunities for inexperienced workers at the minimum age of 16 years old. Young workers most often employed as sales associates, commonly referred to as team members, or baristas. More experienced and educated applicants find placement in supervisory and managerial roles. However, applicants for all positions may apply on the company website. A list of positions regularly available to job-seekers sit listed below:
- An entry-level position calling for applicants able to apply already developed knowledge on tea brewing.
- Aside from satisfying customers with well-prepared drinks, baristas remain responsible for stocking sales floors and merchandising tea and tea accessories.
- Baristas mostly work part-time schedules, which average 20-plus hours per week.
- Job duties do not include pressure to meet sales quotas; however, baristas should still embody positive attitudes toward customers and promote healthy lifestyles.
- Employees must also maintain personal knowledge of new store promotions and products.
- The average barista earns around $8.00 to $9.00 an hour.
Supervisors and Sales Associate
- Strong customer service skills and knowledge of tea products available at Teavana prove musts for both supervisor and sales associate positions.
- The supervisor acts as a team leader, to which sales associates or team members report.
- Team leaders perform the same tasks as team members but with added responsibilities to replenish shelves and maintain overall visual presentation at each location.
- Potential employees for both positions must feel confident in abilities to sell, as workers earn bonuses based on met or exceeded service and sales goals.
- Supervisors and sales associates mostly work part-time, which means approximately 20-hour work schedules each week.
- Average job duties include engaging with customers, suggesting products, and meeting or exceeding sales quotas.
- Employees in both roles should stay up-to-date on store promotions and new products.
- The average supervisor enjoys hourly pay around $9.00 to $10.00, while sales associates earn around $8.00 to $9.00.
- Strong and fair leadership abilities with a drive for sales and creative growth serves as musts for management positions with Teavana.
- Workers may assume either general manager or assistant general manager titles.
- General managers serve as leaders for sales initiatives by setting challenging but attainable goals for team members.
- The position also tackles store operations on a large scope, with general managers making sure locations run properly and remain adequately equipped.
- Daily, general managers open and close store locations, complete scheduling tasks, manage payroll and the hiring process, evaluate store sales, and conduct visual walk-throughs with management teams.
- Assistant general managers work closely with the general manager but focusing more on training team members, reaching sales goals, and motivating the team to provide collectively efficient customer service.
- Applicants should already possess retail management experience.
- General managers often receive annual salary options between $32,000 to $50,000, while assistant general managers receive pay on hourly rates between $9.00 to $12.00 per hour.
Tips For Applying
Job hopefuls should research Teavana teas and products before filling out the job application form to ensure strong performance during the interview process as well as demonstrate interest in the brand. Knowledge of what the retail chain sells displayed throughout the application and interviewing processes regularly leads to preferential treatment by recruitment staff.
Applicants may inquire about the status of job applications by sending messages to the specific store of desired employment via email, which applicants access under the Locations tab on the company website. Candidates may also visit locations in person to ask about the status of a job application. The company site warns applicants to add the company email address to personal contact lists so recruiting emails do not end up as junk or spam.
Benefits of Working at Teavana
Learning about tea culture and preparation while gaining customer service, and in some cases managerial, skills represent common work benefits enjoyed by crew members. Workers receive training, bonuses for met sales goals, and the opportunity to attain managerial roles. Qualified associates working full-time also receive employee benefits packages. Most packages consist of:
- 401(k) plans
- Sick pay
- Vacation and holidays
- Employee profit sharing plans, and
- Medical coverage, including dental and prescription drug plans.
Employment may also include a 30 percent discount on drinks and merchandise.
More Information on Teavana
Applicants and customers alike often use the Teavana website as a resource for information on various tea blends and products sold in stores. At the bottom of the homepage sit tabs leading to information about types of teas, the history of tea, and why the company chooses to use loose leaf tea over tea bags. The website also operates as an online store.