A retailer specializing in outdoor activities, The North Face offers the most technically advanced outdoors wear and gear on the market. Catering to novices and experts alike, the brand hires highly knowledgably associates to serve customer needs. Hiring takes place year round at each store.
Facts About Working at The North Face
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at The North Face?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Stock Associate, Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, Technical Representative, Stock Supervisor, Returns Processing Clerk, Planning Analyst, Graphic Designer, Business Intelligence Analyst, Designer, Product Manager, Color Assistant, Forecasting Analyst, Human Resources Director, Executive Assistant, Recruiter, Logistics Supervisor, Sports Marketing Manager, Allocation Manager, Selling Supervisor, Financial Analyst, Product Director, Communications and Outdoor Participation Director, Product and Community Representative, Digital Director, Materials Manager
The North Face Sales Associate Interview Video
The North Face Job Opportunities
Originally a small mountaineering store in San Francisco in the 1960s, The North Face operates over 50 locations across the country. Stores feature a wide selection of products, including clothing, accessories, and gear for outdoor recreation. Dedicated team members fill out the store ranks and provide committed assistance to guests. The stores offer a variety of part-time jobs and full-time careers in areas like customer care, merchandise fulfillment, and management. Entry-level workers typically start out in customer-focused roles and, with training and experience, may advance into leadership or specialized roles.
The North Face hires associates with a passion for the outdoors. Individuals with interests in climbing, hiking, biking, winter sports, or outdoor exploration feel right at home working for the retailer. Associates regularly interact with explorers, mountaineers, extreme skiers and snowboarders, and accomplished climbers who frequent the store and enjoy fast-paced work environments. Motivated individuals access advanced training opportunities, which serve as stepping stones in career development.
The North Face Positions and Salary Information
A leader in the retail industry, The North Face retains quality talent by offering hourly wages above the market average. The outdoor activities retailer generally sets the minimum age requirement for employment at 18 years old. The following list offers a brief overview of key store jobs and the pay associates earn:
- As brand ambassadors, sales associates provide prompt, committed customer support.
- After listening to customer wants and needs, sales associates provide appropriate merchandise suggestions and actively sell high quality products.
- The sales-focused role requires workers to excel in individual sales and team-oriented objectives.
- In addition to sales, a sales associate follows necessary operational tasks throughout a shift, such as maintaining visual presentation by keeping store environments clean and organized.
- Salesmanship, communication skills, and cash handling stand as necessary skills for the job.
- Most stores look for sales associates with at least one year of related experience.
- Applicants exhibiting passion for specific outdoor activities may earn added hiring consideration.
- On average, sales associates earn between $11.00 and $12.00 an hour.
- Stock associates keep the sales floor well stocked and presentable.
- Essential duties include unloading deliveries, breaking down boxes, and placing merchandise on the sales floor.
- Additional duties include processing incoming shipments, auditing merchandise, and ensuring paperwork correctness.
- When necessary, stock associates assist customers on the sales floor.
- Employees need to frequently lift up to 25 pounds, and the job requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Associates also need vision capabilities, such as color vision, depth perception, peripheral vision, and the ability to see near and far.
- A thorough product knowledge also benefits stock associates.
- The chain usually looks for stock associates with at least one or two months of prior work experience.
- Stock associates generally make over $10.50 an hour.
Visual Merchandising Associate
- Visual merchandising associates assist management in coordinating visual presentations.
- Using a keen sense of style and adhering to merchandising standards, a visual merchandiser designs visual plans to maximize sales.
- Once a month, visual merchandisers set up window displays, dress mannequins, and arrange in-store focus points.
- Every season, merchandisers coordinate seasonal floor set changes.
- The job also requires weekly follow up with management for ongoing merchandising projects.
- When needed, management may schedule visual merchandising associates for sales associate shifts.
- The store typically hires workers with two or more years of professional experience.
- Visual merchandisers may earn upwards of $13.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Browsing the company website serves as the most effective way to find current job openings. After selecting a position to apply for, a job seeker needs to create a user login in order to apply for a specific position. In addition to basic personal information, job seekers need to fill out pre-screening questions, which ask open-ended questions, like “Why do you want to work for this company?” and “How would you define exceptional customer service?” Candidates should provide genuine answers demonstrating a match with the company. Additionally, individuals should detail expertise in specific outdoor activities and expound upon the importance of quality customer care.
After applying online, candidates may visit job profiles to view application statuses. Jobs applied to show up under the completed submissions section, which includes a job status and submission status. The job status line indicates if the company still accepts applications for the job. When openly accepting applications, the line status says Active. Submission status indicates if the company received the application. A successful submission reads Resume Acknowledged. HR then reviews the resumes and contact candidates with further hiring proceedings.
The North Face Employee Benefits
Committed to employee satisfaction, the brand offers excellent benefits packages to qualified team members. Eligible workers enjoy comprehensive packages covering personal health, dental care, and vision. The employer also offers 401(k) retirement plans and life insurance coverage. Both entry-level workers and career professionals enjoy flexible work schedules and steep in-store discounts.
Other Information about The North Face
A company ingrained in nature and exploration, The North Face cares about the next generation and future interests in nature. Through the Explore Fund, The North Face inspires youths to connect with the outdoors. Believing in the health, psychological, and social benefits of active outdoor lifestyles, The North Face uses the fund to support organizations breaking down barriers between children and nature. Funded organizations include nature education programs, outdoor activity groups, and projects geared toward environmental health.