The Salvation Army offers job opportunities for both career-minded individuals and entry-level job hopefuls. Headquartered in London, England, U.K., the charitable company provides jobs and services for many diverse groups of people in over 120 countries.
Facts About Working at The Salvation Army
Minimum Age to Work at The Salvation Army: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at The Salvation Army?)
The Salvation Army Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 9:00am-7:00pm; Closed Sunday
Available Positions at The Salvation Army: Store Associate, Cashier, Keyholder, Administrative Assistant, Statistician, Part-Time Office Assistant, Mailroom Clerk, Secretary, Online Fundraising Manager, Associate Development Coordinator, Leadership Giving Program Director, Facilities Team Member, Soup Kitchen Cook, Case Manager, Marketing Specialist, Corps Health/Corps Planting Coordinator, Service Unit Field Representative, Custodian, Receptionist, Maintenance Supervisor, Driver, Community Center Director, Staff Attorney, Clerk, Processor, Director of Volunteer Services
The Salvation Army Job Opportunities
Boasting ties dating back to 1865, the organization attributes the genesis of the company to when William Booth offered Christian ideals to people fallen on hard times. Today, the original idea persists as more than just providing needy people with sermons. As a major charitable contributor, the poor, homeless, and hungry receive as much aid as possible from the organization. The vast network of helping hands requires a workforce to facilitate the operations of the organization. As a result, ample opportunities await job seekers willing to fulfill necessary roles. Full- and part-time positions remain available to fit almost any schedule. Many positions remain accessible through corporate openings, charitable centers, and retail locations.
Retail centers focus on reselling used products donated by residents of surrounding areas. A majority of open retail positions consist of the sales associate role. Heavily focused on customer service, sales associate jobs provide superior assistance to patrons throughout shift durations. Hiring managers consistently seek motivated individuals who possess engaging interpersonal skills. Aspirants should also consider personal teamwork abilities, as recruiters do not waste time on individuals presenting would-be problems for current staff. If hired, workers may expect part-time hours at start. As seniority increases, employees may expect full-time hours, day shifts, and optional weekend and holiday work.
The Salvation Army Jobs and Salary Information
Although minimal requirements exist for retail work within The Salvation Army, employees must stand at least 16 years of age to gain employment consideration. Few education requirements persist; however, corporate opportunities may require various forms of certifications and documentation. Employers may ask for proof of reliable transportation, as well. Easily accessible entry-level jobs follow in the list below:
- In charge of running registers and assisting customers with various needs, sales associates drive sales by continuously stocking and re-shelving items, providing information and opinions on inventory, and maintaining the presentable natures of store locations.
- Workers handle customer complaints and offer solutions before issues escalate to higher management.
- Additional duties may prove necessary, such as setting up displays and merchandising.
- Math and computer skills prove useful for counting drawer money and providing change to customers.
- Depending on positioning within the company, sales associates earn pay between $8.00 and $10.00 per hour.
- Running a store offers sound opportunity for growth within and outside the company.
- Managers acquire vital supervisory skills applicable to almost any general manger position.
- Store managers typically earn annual salary options of about $25,000 to $35,000 and receive year-end bonuses for meeting specific goals handed down by district management.
- Additional duties for store managers involve analyzing sales and profits, hiring suitable employees, and maintaining enjoyable work environments for both employees and customers.
- Assistant managers serve as both management and ancillary sales associates.
- During absences of senior management, assistant managers act as store managers.
- Assistant managers support sales associates and ensure effective completion of work duties.
- As second in command, assistants managers earn between $15,000 and $25,000 yearly.
Tips For Applying
Retail-level jobs require in-store applications to begin the hiring process, while plenty of corporate opportunities allow online applications. When requesting applications, candidates should ask to speak with a hiring manager to begin the introduction and familiarity process. Completing the form in a swift manner shows determination and willingness to work for the company. Applicants missing initial opportunities to speak with hiring staff should request the managers once more when handing in completed application forms.
Maintaining awareness of a submitted application remains essential to secure any job offer. The Salvation Army applicants must contact hiring personnel via phone, email, or face-to-face interaction. Choosing any route to contact hiring managers requires individuals to remain aware of peak business hours. Candidates wishing to check the status of applications in person should dress in respectable attire and display confidence and personable characters. After application submission, the common wait period from interview to hire rests around two weeks.
Benefits of Working at The Salvation Army
In addition to competitive salary packages, the charity strives to maintain the well-being of employees through comprehensive work benefits packages. While many job benefits pertain only to full-time workers, part-time individuals may gain access to some employment benefits after periods of time with the company. Affordable medical insurance remains offered to eligible employees which includes:
- Vision, and
- Hearing coverage.
Both life insurance and short-term disability require no additional costs from workers. Eligible employees receive access to 401(k) retirement plans and may participate in tax-deferred annuity programs. Associates also enjoy paid time off and educational assistance programs.
Further Details about The Salvation Army
Mostly popular for extensive charity efforts, The Salvation Army operates as a Christian organization with membership totaling more than 1.5 million. As a top contender in the Forbes 50 Largest US Charities list, the company supplies more than 9,000 centers in the United States alone. Total company revenue hovers around $4 billion annually and contributes to operating costs as well as people in need.