Toys R Us is a top retailer in the toy and baby product industry. The chain is one of the most recognizable to kids across the world, in part due to their Geoffrey the Giraffe mascot.
Facts About Working at Toys R Us
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Toys R Us?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Store Associate, Stock Associate, Team Member, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Toys R Us Employee Interview Videos
Listen to former employees discuss working at Toys R Us:
After closing all showrooms in 2017, Toys R Us celebrated a grand reopening with two retail locations in New Jersey and Texas. A beloved toy retailer for over 70 years, the company left the big-box style stores and now offers a more immersive experience to shoppers.
Toys R Us Job Opportunities
Hiring Former Employees
Those who worked at Toys R Us prior to closures have preference as new employees. The company wants to staff full-time jobs and considers hiring part-time employment with hourly wages. The plans to reopen ten more locations by the end of 2020 allow for future job openings.
Joining a New Tradition
Working at the re-imagined Toys R Us is an opportunity to join a brand recognized for generations as a toy expert. At the new stores, employees learn experiential retailing where kids and parents try products out in the building. New hires receive a creative learning experience based on innovation and play.
The ideal candidate for a Toys R Us job understands the latest trends in children’s toys and entertainment. The digital experiences in the store allow them to discover new ways to play. Employees go through several training sessions to familiarize themselves with products and improve their retail skills.
Employment and Salary Information for Toys R Us
Since the brand’s brick-and-mortar sites closed, workers have slightly different roles. All team members collect hourly pay. They work on the floor assisting customers, playing with merchandise, and helping people buy items there or find them online. Some former entry-level jobs and higher positions in Toys R Us careers are:
- These associates help customers with purchases at the counter and answer questions about sales.
- Cashiers earn a beginning pay of $9.00 per hour.
- Applicants must be polite, quick learners, and energetic.
Sales Floor Team Member
- Job duties include stocking shelves, organizing products in storage, and assisting customers on the floor.
- Sales associates earn around $9.00 an hour with a chance for raises in pay.
- Team members enjoy working with the public and have an enthusiastic attitude toward helping others.
- A few of these positions are store director, department supervisor, and district manager.
- Managers collect an annual salary pay between $35k and $131K a year according to job title, location, and department.
- Responsibilities include ensuring daily operations run smoothly, creating employee schedules, hiring new people, and general problem solving.
Tips for Applying
As the brand establishes more stores throughout the nation, former employees should attend hiring events and fill out a Toys R Us job application online. The interviews are for full-time team members and possible part-time work.
Before attending a hiring event, the company encourages past workers to apply to new job openings via the brand’s website. Additional Toys R Us applications are available online as the business establishes more retail locations.
Benefits of Working at Toys R Us
The retailer offered a range of job benefits before closing physical locations in 2017. These benefits consist of:
- Employee discounts on merchandise
- Paid vacation
- Paid time off
- Healthcare coverage
- Dental, vision and medical insurance
- 401(K) retirement plan for eligible employees
For full-time positions, the company offers a 401(k) plan with a matchup of near four-percent. All personnel receive a Toys R Us discount card to use at the store. Markdowns apply to most items with a few exclusions.
Additional Information about Toys R Us
Tru Kids is the parent company of Toys R Us. With this innovative approach to retail, the brand now has smaller stores with a focus on open play areas, interactive displays, and hosting special events for kids. Each location has an indoor Geoffrey the Giraffe treehouse for children to climb and play.