Started as a beachside stand, Tropical Smoothie opened the first full-scale restaurant in 1997. The company operates about 300 stores in over 30 states and continually seeks opportunities for growth. Individuals interested in entry-level and managerial work encounter regular job openings.
Facts About Working at Tropical Smoothie Cafe
Minimum Age to Work at Tropical Smoothie Cafe: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Tropical Smoothie?)
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 10:00am-8:00pm; Sat: 9:00am-7:00pm; Sun: 10:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at Tropical Smoothie Cafe: Team Member, Cashier, Shift Manager, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Interview Videos
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Employment Opportunities
With the aid of online resources, ambitious individuals may personally open franchised Tropical Smoothie Cafe locations. Each storefront requires managerial staff and crew members maintain operations. Previous experience and/or knowledge of the food service industry may afford job candidates preference during the screening process. Additionally, workers possessing customer service skills often receive favor for open positions.
Company core values include building solid relationships, playing to win, possessing a creative spirit, and living better. Individuals able to demonstrate such attitudes and attributes make suitable additions to the Tropical Smoothie team. Knowledge of health food trends and various supplements also mark job prospects as fitting. However, entry-level candidates with little-to-no experience or lacking formal education make apt associates, as well. The smoothie shop promotes from within, so individuals without qualifications who wish to build careers with the company may succeed proven work performance.
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Positions and Salary Information
Often ideal jobs for college and high school students, Tropical Smoothie positions require applicants to stand at least 16 years of age. Work at the smoothie shop does not demand intensive focus, as upper management remains sensitive to the necessary school-work balance. Due to high rates of turnover, frequently available positions include:
- Though previous experience may earn candidates preference, crew member positions require no real special qualifications or training.
- Associates filling crew openings must interact with customers on a regular basis.
- Friendly workers able to project comfort and openness in a variety of situations fare best.
- Mainly responsible for food and smoothie preparation, crew members may also need to double as cashiers.
- Typical responsibilities include maintaining familiarity with menu items, cleaning food prep stations and dining areas, completing monetary transactions, providing exact change as necessary, restocking supplies, and preparing menu items to customer specifications.
- Crew members may receive hire in full-time or part-time capacities and earn minimum wage to start.
- A physically demanding job, the position of sanitation specialist involves operating a number of machines and devices, lifting several pounds at a time, and bending, reaching, and squatting repeatedly over the course of a shift.
- The position garners average hourly wages of $8.00 to $10.00.
- Regular duties include mopping store floors, dusting and wiping equipment, clearing trash out of the parking lot, transporting bags of waste to dumpsters, washing ceilings and windows, replenishing bathroom supplies, and ensuring dining areas remain clear of lint, dust, oil, and grease.
- Available management positions include crew leaders, who act as assistant managers and store managers.
- Crew leaders receive pay rates of $10.00 to $13.00 an hour, while store managers earn salary packages of about $30,000.
- Generally, management positions require possession of previous employment experience as a leader.
- A high school diploma or the equivalent may also stand necessary for consideration.
- Managerial responsibilities consist of leading crew members by example, providing exemplary customer service by addressing specific customer needs and concerns, creating work schedules, handling payroll, taking inventory, and overseeing the overall function of each store.
Tips For Applying
Interested individuals may visit the jobs page on the company website, look up nearby locations, and then download job applications. Candidates should fill out the forms in legible and clear print. Looking over completed applications for errors shows responsibility and professionalism. Visiting the target store during traditionally slow business hours may allow individuals the opportunity to speak with hiring personnel. Direct contact with recruitment managers may lead to increased odds of employment.
Due to the near-constant demand to fill crew positions, hiring personnel rarely take more than two weeks to reach out to job applicants. Candidates wishing to touch base about job openings or boost visibility within the pool of applicants maintain the option of calling the store, visiting during appropriate business hours, or sending hiring personnel emails. Always remain respectful of the store staff and communicate politely and professionally.
Benefits of Working at Tropical Smoothie
Both full-time and part-time employees qualify for generous work benefits. Managerial staff may receive a free smoothie during each shift, while crew members may use substantial employee discounts. Healthcare coverage also stands readily available and includes dental and vision plans. Additionally, the smoothie chain offers:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid time off, and
- Holidays to eligible associates.
More Information on Tropical Smoothie
Tropical Smoothie created a holiday called National Flip Flop Day. On the third Friday in June, customers who wear flip flops to any company store receive free smoothies. Additionally, a collection of money raised online and in stores benefits Camp Sunshine. The camp hosts families dealing with children with life-threatening illnesses. In 2014, the smoothie shop raised over $600,000 and sent many families to the camp for free.