Turkey Hill operates more than 200 fuel depots and convenience stores spread throughout Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Ohio. Also known as Minit Markets, the Kroger subsidiary offers sound career opportunities as well as plenty of chances for entry-level employment.
Facts About Working at Turkey Hill
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Turkey Hill?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Gas Station Attendant, Maintenance
TurkeyHill Job Opportunities
The growing convenience retailer employs thousands of workers. Often used for interim periods of work, gas stations traditionally experience high rates of employee turnover, which creates new job opportunities regularly. With many locations open 24 hours a day, the retail chain offers workers the perks of flexible scheduling. However, applicants with open schedule availability receive preference over other contenders, as most new hires work a combination of nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to traditional daytime hours. Entry-level gas station jobs continue to serve as ideal opportunities for both busy students and new workers looking to translate valuable experience into professional careers.
Turkey Hill prefers applicants who hold high school diplomas, possess customer service experience, and demonstrate stable work histories. However, the minimum hiring age of 18 serves as the only actual prerequisite for candidates. Prospective associates must possess a range of traits, including interpersonal skills, which arguably rank as the most important qualification influencing most, if not all, job offers. Full- and part-time openings remain highly available and often come with the eventual chance of promotion and increased pay.
Turkey Hill Jobs and Compensation
Because retail convenience stores center on a customer-friendly atmosphere, the scope of responsibility for customer service representatives remains extensive. Cashiers hold many other duties in addition to finalizing customer purchases. Most positions demand the physical fitness necessary to stand and walk for long durations and the fortitude to withstand varied temperatures inside and outside the store. The most common positions for the gas station chain sit listed below:
- Sales associates operate cash registers, money order machines, and lottery terminals.
- The convenience chain requires associates to maintain positive attitudes for optimizing the customer experience, perform required tasks safely and neatly, and remain capable of lifting up to 35 pounds.
- During slower periods with fewer customers, workers must also maintain bathrooms as well as coffee bars.
- Generally, associates may expect additional daily tasks to include refilling coolers and other merchandise as well as ensuring trash cleanup.
- Pay rates for most sales associate begin at minimum wage and may increase to $9.00 per hour.
- Experienced gas station workers who show unyielding work ethics and dedication to customer service possess the ability to earn yearly salary options of $30,000 to $50,000 as store managers, who supervise store events to ensure a profitable environment.
- Head managers remain in charge of hiring staff, ordering products, and instituting corporate sales policies.
- For most employees, promotion to assistant manager proves the only way to reach the store manager position.
- Assistant managerial roles include both sales associate duties and manager duties on an as-needed basis.
- The assistant position offers between $10.00 and $14.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Job seekers may complete the application process online or in-person. Internet applications direct users to create basic profiles, which typically require about 30 minutes for completion. With an online profile, workers may apply to many different stores with a single click. If applicants choose to apply in-person, bringing a list of references and work history often saves time. Whether applying in-person or online, briefly speaking with the hiring manager either via phone or face-to-face ensures the best chance of hire.
Following application submission, hiring recruiters view the information and contact selected applicants usually within two weeks. Some candidates experience a speedier process, and a select handful may even receive on-the-spot job offers when applying in person. Generally, successful former applicants suggest calling the hiring manager to express appreciation for the employment opportunity, as the initiative demonstrates determination and often leaves a memorable impression on the manager.
Benefits of Working at Turkey Hill
While some convenience chains provide little or no employee benefits, Turkey Hill stands resolute in offering full job benefits to eligible workers. Full-time associates may capitalize on employment benefits packages containing:
- Dental, and
- Vision insurance as well as paid time off and company stock purchasing plans
Additional work benefits include 401(k) retirement plans, group insurance rates, and tuition reimbursement. Workers at convenience store locations may also receive discounts on merchandise.
Further Information about Turkey Hill
In an attempt to promote clean energy, the company maintains a pair of wind turbines at the dairy warehouse located in Pennsylvania. The turbines produce enough energy to supply about 25 percent of the annual electricity demand of operations within the building. Consistent with energy efficient principals, the retail chain also developed a steam gas-to-electricity facility, which supplies up to 75 percent of power for the warehouse. The innovation won the U.S. EPA Landfill Methane Project of the Year award in 2006.