Cosmetics retail chain ULTA maintains over 700 standalone stores and offers exceptional customer service. With in-house salons and teams of dedicated associates, the retail chain represents an ideal place to find work in a multitude of fields, including sales, stocking, and beauty care.
Facts About Working at ULTA
Minimum Age to Work at ULTA: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at ULTA?)
ULTA Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat: 10:00am-9:00pm; Sun: 11:00am-6:00pm
Available Positions at ULTA: Assistant manager, beauty advisor, cashier, hair stylist, manager
ULTA Job Opportunities
Most ULTA stores follow big-box layout formats and include thousands of square feet of retail space. The large storefronts and expansive product lines sold by the chain create thousands of jobs nationwide. In total, the cosmetics company employs over 19,000 entry-level associates and career professionals. Workers often take interest in sales and customer service jobs, as the positions require little in the way of formal experience for hiring consideration. Experienced and motivated individuals passionate about cosmetics may qualify for managerial roles; however, careers in management generally impose specific requirements for employment in addition to basic hiring qualifications.
ULTA merchandise lines range from bath and beauty items to specific products designed for the advanced care of skin, nails, and hair. Applicants in search of sales jobs must hold some familiarity with beauty products. Hiring personnel regularly screen for personable demeanors and attentive attitudes, as well. Entry-level workers often fill part-time roles with the company upon hire. Additional shifts and full-time hours may become available through continued, proven work performance. Shift requirements consistently include nights and weekends. The ability to lift moderate amounts of weight and work on foot for shift durations also factor into overall decisions to hire. Managers generally work full-time and need excellent delegation and organizational skills.
ULTA Employment and Salary Information
Applicants must meet the age minimum of 18 in order to obtain ULTA jobs. The cosmetics retail chain generally favors warm, friendly, and knowledgeable workers over less engaging applicants. Most jobs for hire include part-time, entry-level positions; however, the retailer maintains consistent calls for motivated and experienced individuals to fill full-time managerial roles. Job seekers may take advantage of the following opportunities:
- Beauty advisors primarily focus on making sales. Specific job duties include recommending products, demonstrating product uses, cleaning and organizing sales floors, completing transactions, and receiving product shipments.
- ULTA regularly hires on beauty advisors at minimum wage but offers performance-based pay increases, which often results in earnings exceeding $10.00 per hour.
- While no expressed requirements exist for previous, related experience, applicants should possess high school diplomas or equivalents for employment consideration.
- Each store contains full-service salons requiring teams of trained professionals. As a result, cosmetology positions remain available in great abundance at ULTA salons.
- Pay scales begin around $10.00 an hour and rise based on previous experience and success in the role.
- Applicants must hold certified diplomas from accredited cosmetology schools in order to receive employment consideration.
- Primary functions include hiring, training, and motivating entry-level workers. Managers also ensure the success of each department/location assigned, oversee shipping and receiving of goods, and reconcile cash drawers at the ends of shifts.
- The average associate manager earns between $10.00 and $12.00 hourly. Prestige managers with the proper qualifications receive annual salary options exceeding $40,000.
- Prior experience in management, retail, or cosmetics is a plus.
Tips For Applying
Strong knowledge of industry trends and previous experience related to cosmetics sales improve odds of gaining employment. Expertise in multiple brands, service areas, and vocational trades, such as cosmetology or hairstyling, often make candidates more attractive than other, less knowledgeable applicants. Workers should also demonstrate excellent customer service and interpersonal skills during the hiring process, as most entry-level jobs and professional careers available involve some form of interaction with the general public. Applicants should also prepare to complete pre-employment questionnaires as part of the hiring process. Designed to screen for product and brand awareness, the questions often cover common scenarios related to retail and sales.
Job seekers must typically fill out applications online and wait for ULTA to contact desirable applicants by email or telephone. Most contact takes place within a week or so of submitting completed hiring forms. If no formal contact occurs, applicants may follow up with the cosmetics retailer using similar methods, i.e. telephone and/or email. Some positions, such as managerial careers and stylist jobs, may feature longer wait times for callbacks regarding hiring decisions. Regardless of position desired, wait at least a week to hear back from the chain, as hiring personnel usually review large pools of candidates at once before making final selections.
Benefits of Working at ULTA
Employment status and job title factor into employee benefits eligibility requirements. Most associates gain access to employee discounts and insurance options. Qualified workers also receive
- Dental, and vision plans
- Employee assistance programs, and paid time off.
ULTA employees must stand at least 21 years of age to take advantage of financial savings benefits like 401(k) retirement plans.
Additional Information on ULTA
Unique among cosmetics retailers, ULTA locations provide professional styling consultations in-house. Customers may receive haircare treatments, skincare assessments, and product demonstrations by appointment. Known as THE SALON at each store, the in-house spas attract strong customer bases and play large roles in the rampant growth experienced by the company in recent years. From 2013 to 2014, the retailer opened more than 160 locations.