Originally called Underground Station, the retail off chute known as Underground by Journeys presents excellent opportunities to find entry-level mall-based employment. More than 100 locations routinely hire high school, college-age, and career professionals alike to fill available jobs.
Facts About Working at Underground By Journeys
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Underground By Journeys?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Underground by Journeys Job Opportunities
Merchandise lines sold in stores largely follow popular fashion trends set by American youth. Most of the footwear and apparel available to customers includes brand-name items. Locations reside in shopping centers, with target clientele including men and women between the ages of 25 and 35. Mostly operating in big cities, the footwear chain enjoys diverse customer bases in addition to offering varied product lines. Applicants looking for Underground by Journeys jobs should possess familiarity with renowned shoe and outerwear fashion houses and demonstrate excellent interpersonal abilities. Hiring personnel may overlook lack of relevant experience in favor of bright and extroverted personality traits, as customer retention ranks high among overall operational goals.
Underground by Journeys stores maintain fast paces and place customer needs at the forefront of daily responsibilities. Regardless of status, employees greet patrons, provide product recommendations, organize shelves, and stock out merchandise. While entry-level associates work directly with the general public more often than managers, individuals in supervisory or administrative roles must engage customers to ensure satisfaction with products and services, as well. New-hires receive intensive training regarding operational procedures, effective sales techniques, and behavioral expectations. Workers also receive ongoing training, especially as associates move up in rank with the company. Career opportunities remain most abundant at the store level; however, driven employees with college degrees and related backgrounds may find work at the company corporate offices in Nashville, TN.
Underground by Journeys Employment and Salary Information
The retail chain formerly known as Underground Station sets the minimum age for employment consideration at 16 years old, which caters to younger employment hopefuls in search of entry-level jobs. Work available includes paid training and store environments conducive to personal growth and individuality. Underground by Journeys routinely rewards proactive and energetic associates with advancement opportunities into senior roles. Refer to the following list of positions to learn more about the most widely available job titles:
- Sales associate jobs involves customer service, cashiering, stock, and general organization duties.
- The shoe retailer strictly offers sales associate positions as part-time opportunities.
- With experience and proven abilities to serve customers and perform daily tasks to company expectations, workers may advance into managerial careers.
- Lifting, bending, stooping, reaching, and standing take place commonly throughout any given shift.
- Some basic math and computer skills may aid in the use of electronic cash registers to process sales transactions.
- No real experience proves necessary for hiring consideration; however, recruitment officials may favor individuals with related backgrounds.
- Average hourly pay hovers at minimum wage and rises to $9.00 or $10.00 over time.
- Highly motivated and passionate employees showing dedication to the company and sincere enjoyment of daily responsibilities often make ideal managers.
- Workers promoted from sales associate ranks start as managers-in-training.
- The full-time position involves leading sales teams, organizing operational procedure, and working alongside store managers to ensure profitability and customer satisfaction.
- Managers-in-training often receive keys to perform opening and closing responsibilities, as well.
- Hourly pay starts out around $9.00 and floats into the $13.00 to $14.00 range with experience gained.
- Store managers also work full-time hours. Job responsibilities include supervising and directing entry-level associates as well as setting sales goals, marketing promotions, coordinating shipments, and processing payroll.
- Most store managers enjoy salary options between $30,000 and $50,000 a year.
Tips For Applying
Heading into the application process, prospective associates should allot between 10 and 50 minutes to complete the hiring form, regardless of position desired. Exact length of time needed to fill out each data field required on the employment document usually varies by position, with managerial jobs requiring more background information than entry-level sales positions for consideration. Complete the application form to the best of known abilities and provide as much information as possible. Tailoring the documents to reflect experience in customer service or sales may greatly improve odds of hiring.
The hiring process for sales associate positions usually lasts about a week. Candidates waiting on callbacks from management to schedule interviews typically hear back within a day or two regarding submitted applications. Job seekers may take initiative and visit Underground by Journeys stores or call the appropriate personnel to expedite the process. Management regularly rewards motivated individuals with on-the-spot interviews.
Benefits of Working at Underground by Journeys
Both part-time and full-time employees enjoy sound work benefits. Upon hire, associates receive 40% discounts on merchandise, paid training, and competitive pay. Additional job benefits, such as:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Emergency assistance funds
- Employee stock purchase plans and paid vacation packages
- Remain readily available.
However, employment status, time spent with the company, and job title generally dictate work benefits eligibility.
Supplemental Details on Underground by Journeys
In order to better serve customers, the fashionable shoe store formerly known as Underground Station provides live online chat capabilities. Patrons with issues regarding pricing, shipment, or products in stock may fill out a brief questionnaire through the company website and submit the form to speak directly with a customer service representative via online chatroom. The function allows shoppers to save a digital transcript of the conversation for personal records.