Texas-based grocery store United Supermarkets operates a network of over 50 locations serving more than 1 million guests each week. The supermarket chain needs passionate, committed associates to provide ultimate care for each guest. Featuring large, full-service locations that include over a dozen specialty departments, the grocer offers part-time and full-time team member jobs as well as department manager careers. Job seekers may find work in common supermarket departments, such as bakery, floral, prepared foods, general merchandise, beer and wine, and produce. Specialized opportunities also stand readily available in unique service departments, like Taste of Market Street, concierge center, and living well.
Facts About Working at United Supermarkets
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at United Supermarkets?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Grocery Store Clerk, Wine Department Clerk, Night Stocker, Food Service Clerk, Baker, Cake Decorator, Produce Clerk, Checker, Market Cleanup, Sacker, Pharmacy Technician, Dish Retail Clerk, Bakery Department Clerk, Maintenance Technician, Dishwasher, Sales and Sampling Clerk, Assistant Service Manager, Service Manager, Meat Clerk, Meat Wrapper, Meat Cutter, Cleaning Specialist, Assistant Store Manager, General Store Manager
United Supermarkets Job Opportunities
United Supermarkets believes in promoting employees from within. When new opportunities open up, current team members receive early notice and the opportunity to apply before the general public. Entry-level workers may start out in part-time or full-time positions and climb the ladder to top-level leadership careers. The employment hierarchy at the supermarket begins with team member and progresses to team leader, assistant department manager, department manager, talent relations manager, assistant director, and finally, the top in-store position, store director.
Job hunters may search for job openings and review job duties online. To apply for a job, a candidate may submit an online application or create a personal profile to stay updated on future openings and apply for multiple roles. The forms usually take about 20 minutes to complete. Entry-level positions require applicants to meet minimum age requirements of 16 years old. Certain positions require applicants to meet age requirements of 18 or 21 before applying.
United Supermarkets Employment and Pay Scales
A leading employer in Texas, United Supermarkets maintains a workforce of more than 10,000 employees. High turnover remains common in the grocery store industry, and job openings for entry-level workers and experienced professionals frequently arise. Full-time careers and entry-level positions feature flexible scheduling options and competitive pay for the supermarket industry. Team members receive generous hourly pay and management earns lucrative salary options. The supermarket chain regularly needs to hire for the following jobs:
- A sacker works in the frontend bagging groceries and loading bags into customer vehicles.
- Product returns and general housekeeping also need carried out, as needed.
- Sackers may also need to perform duties assigned by managers.
- Applicants must also possess friendly, customer-oriented attitudes and the ability to lift over 40 pounds regularly and up to 80 pounds occasionally for hiring consideration.
- Initial pay for sackers starts at minimum wage.
- Sackers may progress into higher-level jobs that offer increases as experience grows.
- Checkers primarily focus on guest relations and satisfaction.
- A checker takes care of all checkout and frontend courtesy tasks, such as running cash registers, checking prices, answering customer questions, and signing up customers for rewards cards.
- Additional duties include spill cleanup as well as general frontend cleaning and display organization.
- When necessary, checkers may need to perform sacker duties.
- Checkers usually start out earning minimum wage and earn pay increases over time.
Food Service Clerk
- A deli position, food service clerk prepares and cooks fresh, quality foods.
- When guests enter the deli, food service clerks provide warm greetings and take orders.
- Food service clerks need to properly package, weigh, and price customer orders.
- To ensure freshness, food workers must monitor production dates and rotate out old or expired foods.
- Sanitation remains paramount at United Supermarkets, as food service crew members need to maintain clean and organized kitchens and follow all health and safety guidelines outlined by the company.
- On average, a food service clerk makes about $9.00 per hour.
Tips For Applying
United Supermarkets job hopefuls can apply in one of two ways: either online or through paper forms. The online career network is managed through parent company The United Family. Openings for the retailer appear as well as how to apply, details about the interview process, and how a position is offered. Candidates fill in basic information, such as address, education level, and previous experience in order to successfully submit the form. The application takes approximately 20 minutes or less to complete. Additional questions may appear to determine qualifications for the opportunity. Applying with a traditional paper application takes similar preparation outside of dropping the forms off at nearby locations.
Recruiters evaluate profiles to determine if applicants have the necessary qualifications and experience. If so, hiring managers reach out to aspirants within a few days to a week with the intention of scheduling in-person interviews. Information entered online is stored, which allows candidates to apply for multiple positions in an extended time frame. Apparel should be professional when stopping into locations to check on the statuses of applications or for interviews. Job hunters must also be well-prepared with extra copies of their resumes and not afraid to ask questions. Hopefuls should make sure to let personalities shine through when interacting with managers.
Benefits of Working at United Supermarkets
Qualifying workers receive health benefits of medical, dental, and vision coverage as well as life insurance, disability plans, and flexible healthcare spending accounts. Both part-time and full-time team members over the age of 21 receive retirement savings benefits, which include 401(k) plans with company matching and profit sharing. The supermarket also offers vacation time to both part-time and full-time workers. The number of vacation days earned depends on hourly or salaried status and number of years employed. Full-time team members also enjoy up to 10 personal days annually, which unlike vacation time, may carry over year to year. The supermarket also offers college savings plans. Qualifying associates may additionally receive employee benefits like discounts on auto insurance, movie tickets, and recreational activities.
Background on United Supermarkets
Founded in 1949, United Supermarkets remains a Texas tradition. The grocery store chain maintains over 50 locations across 30 Texas cities and plans to expand operations in The Lone Star State over the next few years. Always putting the employee first, the company represents an ideal place to work in the supermarket industry. Both Dallas Morning News and Texas Monthly frequently rank United Supermarkets as one of the best places to work in Texas. The Institute for Family Business at Baylor University also named the grocer “Family Business of the Year” in 2009. In addition to possessing a reputation for treating employees well, United Supermarkets remains well-known for unbeatable values, high-quality products, and community involvement. In community polls, the chain consistently ranks as “Best Grocery Store.”