With multiple locations spread across the globe, Universal Studios offers job seekers opportunities to join one of the largest theme park enterprises in the world. With parks in both Hollywood, CA, and Orlando, FL, job prospects remain widely available for interested candidates.
Facts About Working at Universal Studios
Minimum Age to Work at Universal Studios: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Universal Studios?)
Universal Studios Hours of Operation: Hours vary by location
Available Positions at Universal Studios: Ticket Sales, Food and Beverage Associate, Maintenance, Groudskeeper, Ride Operator
Universal Studios Job Opportunities
Starting as a studio tour in Hollywood, Universal Studios advanced to an operating theme park in 1964, with the Orlando location added in 1990. With entertainment industry-based rides and attractions, the theme park offers entry-level workers multiple employment options to choose from. Each park houses various restaurants, shows, and shops with part-time and full-time work accessible in each. Candidates may fill out applications for positions in waiting tables, kitchen roles, working as cashiers, and as ushers. Groundskeeping positions may appeal to job seekers enjoying horticulture and the outdoors, as well.
Universal Studios offers applicants opportunities in the park in varied roles. Naturally engaging, high-energy, and personable candidates may enjoy working as entertainers, costumed characters, and dancers. Career-minded individuals may also work in backstage support or technical positions to gain further experience in the entertainment industry. Entry-level jobs persist as well, with roles as attraction attendants, event guides, custodial operations, ticket sales, and parking attendants. As the park must sometimes run autonomously, positions as nurses and paramedics may also prove available for certified applicants.
Universal Studios Positions and Salary Information
Candidates must stand at least 18 years of age in order submit applications for positions with Universal Studios. For work as entertainers or similar roles, applicants typically must audition in order to receive hiring consideration. Otherwise, entry-level candidates may submit applications for the following readily available positions:
- An attractions attendant typically operates ride vehicles or narrates various shows the theme park offers to visiting guests.
- Duties include loading and unloading passengers, checking ride restraints, providing safety instructions, and assisting guests with special access.
- Employees should maintain clean and safe work environments, interact positively with guests, and understand and demonstrate proper procedures for appropriate actions.
- Attractions attendants earn between $8.00 and $9.00 an hour to start.
- Acting as ambassadors to visiting guests as well as providing event information and park instructions, event guides welcome guests.
- Employees work in various locations around the park, including resort hotels, soundstages, and other park areas.
- Each event guide must also assist and provide guests with particular itineraries, facilitate guest movement throughout Universal Studios, and help with onsite visitor needs.
- Event guides must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, the ability to multitask, and respond and interact appropriately with guests at all times.
- Typical starting wages rest at around $8.00 per hour.
Parking attendants work in one or more of the following capacities:
- The toll booth, the lot, wheelchair rental, and the kennel.
- The toll booth handles payment transactions, issues parking passes, and upsells guests where appropriate.
- A lot attendant directs visitors to the correct parking areas.
- Wheelchair rentals handle renting transactions, while kennel employees monitor and care for visitor pets.
- Earning around $8.00 an hour, attendants must possess basic math skills, stamina, and the ability to follow simple instructions to qualify for parking attendant positions.
- Increases in pay generally result from proven performance and may reflect annual salary options in supervisory roles.
Tips For Applying
Universal Studios offers job seekers a straightforward and efficient process for applying for available positions. By providing sign in information and registering for profiles, candidates then input personal information, answer brief pre-employment screenings, and finish by providing work and education histories. Applicants may choose to upload resumes at the end of the application forms. Job seekers should set aside at least 30 minutes for the application and may expedite the process by gathering necessary hiring materials ahead of time.
Candidates may return to the company job portal at any time, log in, and check on current application statuses. Most entry-level positions receive email confirmation immediately upon receipt of hiring materials. Applicants eager to display desires to work for the entertainment and theme park leader may wish to email hiring recruiters to check on job statuses. With the online job portal, such actions may prove quite unnecessary, as hiring managers contact applicants within one to two weeks to set up initial interviews.
Benefits of Working at Universal Studios
Universal Studios employees enjoy eligibility for multiple work benefits, though most reflect employment status with the theme park industry leader. In order to fulfill successful work/life balance, the company allows:
- Vacation time, paid time off, holiday pay, and sick leave.
- Financial benefits may include enrollment in 401(k) retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, and childcare assistance.
- In addition to competitive pay scales, free park admission, and paid trainings, eligible employees earn access to medical coverage, dental and vision plans, and prescription medicine coverage.
Additional Information about Universal Studios
The major attraction works behind the scenes in each community served. For instance, at Universal Orlando, the company provides innovative programs and partnerships with area schools supporting various arts programs designed to empower area youth to achieve full potential. The company also invests heavily in green ideas and sustainability practices at all parks and studios.