Founded in 1970 and taking the current moniker in 1975, Urban Outfitters offers multiple brands of apparel at over 400 retail locations worldwide. Focused on a defined style of kitschy, bohemian, and even hipster fashion trends, the company continually adds new employees to a growing brand.
Facts About Working at Urban Outfitters
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Urban Outfitters?)
Available Positions: Part-Time Sales Associate, Full-Time Sales Associate, Display Artist, Receiver, Team Leader, Store Merchandiser, Department Manager, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Administrative Assistant, Customer Care Specialist, Account Executive, Buyer, Financial Analyst, Internet Marketing Specialist, Visual Intern
Urban Outfitters Employee Interview Videos
Urban Outfitters Job Opportunities
Seeking creative individuals while maintaining traditional hiring norms, Urban Outfitters employs diverse, smart, energetic, and confident workers looking to make a difference. Entry-level employees passionate about retail and able to stand out make excellent sales associates and team leaders. Available in both part-time and full-time capacities, open jobs frequently serve as either early career paths in fashion retail or exceptional opportunities to make extra money working through college. More artistic individuals may seek display artist positions, which involve working on storefront displays and design.
Urban Outfitters also offers a variety of store management opportunities for individuals seeking careers in fashion retail. From team leaders overseeing sales associates to merchandising managers, assistant managers, and store managers, the retail chain offers managerial employment at various levels appropriate for either entry-level professionals or seasoned workers. Managerial positions typically require some advanced schooling in addition to at least two years of prior retail management experience. Natural leaders tend to find multiple opportunities for advancement with the specialty fashion retail chain.
Urban Outfitters Positions and Salary Information
The fashion retail chain offers both entry-level and career-oriented positions at each store location. While potential sales associates encounter minimal hiring requirements, managerial positions may require further experience and education beyond the minimum hiring age of 18 years old and the possession of a high school diploma or the equivalent. The most commonly available positions sit listed below:
- Sales associates act as the face of the company and interact with customers authentically and organically, provide positive feedback, and work in structured team environments.
- Employees need to maintain understanding of store philosophies, project upbeat personalities, and enhance shopper experiences at every opportunity.
- Duties include helping customers make selections, taking payments as necessary, upholding store cleanliness standards, restocking merchandise as needed, and showing familiarity with all products.
- Sales associates typically earn minimum wage pay to start and may gain higher earning potential through both tenure and promotion to more advanced roles, such as team leader.
- Department managers typically act as subordinate supervisors to store managers and assistant managers.
- Responsible for the recruitment, training, and coaching of sales teams within each individual store department, supervisors typically oversee an assigned area of each Urban Outfitters location.
- Job duties include overseeing all levels of customer service, setting realistic sales goals in compliance with corporate mandates, and effectively delegating projects when necessary.
- Department supervisors should demonstrate an understanding of visual merchandising and should possess previous experience in a leadership role.
- Potential annual salary expectations may exceed $38,000.
- Career-oriented applicants may find employment in management with the fashion retailer.
- Entry-level applicants often work as team leaders before moving up to merchandising and assistant manager positions.
- Store managers typically possess years of retail and leadership experience.
- Merchandising managers retain responsibility for analyzing current trends, developing marketing plans of action, and executing the plans through proper delegation and motivation.
- Assistant store managers effectively coordinate operations in the absence of store managers and actively motivate, coach, and lead by example.
- Store managers must perform the majority of administrative work and focus on sales numbers, man hours, and implementing company policy at every turn.
- Merchandising managers may earn up to $45,000 a year in salary options, while assistant managers may earn between $45,000 and $50,000 annually.
- Store managers typically make upwards of $60,000 per year.
Tips For Applying
The Urban Outfitters website offers an easy online application process. Upon completing a simple one-page application in order to build a career biography, applicants may upload resumes or import hiring information from social media accounts such as LinkedIn. Gather hiring materials before starting the profile, list relatable work history, and ensure information remains current and correct. If applying at a store location, wear apparel similar to merchandise sold at Urban Outfitters to display personal style and understanding of relatable fashion.
Candidates for hire typically hear back from store personnel within a week or two of applying. The hiring process may include open interviews, one-to-one interviews, or group interviews focusing on applicant strengths and desire to work for Urban Outfitters. Candidates inquiring by phone or in person may demonstrate added aspiration for employment and may earn on-the-spot interviews. When following up, specifically ask for managers to elaborate on the application process, if possible.
Benefits of Working at Urban Outfitters
Urban Outfitters offers competitive pay rates, opportunities for advancement, and flexible scheduling in addition to a fun work environment. Additionally, eligible employees receive access to a variety of health benefits, including:
- Life and vision insurance
Full-time employees also gain access to paid time off, bonus incentive programs, and vacation time. Other work benefits may include sick time and a wide-ranging employee discount program valid on all URBN brands purchased in-store or online. Salaried employees may also enroll in 401(k) retirement plans with company match.
More Details about Urban Outfitters
The fashion retailer offers customers access to exclusive information, rewards, and events through a mobile app called Urban On. Consumers may utilize the app to receive alerts on new store collections and sale items. Interested customers may download the app from multiple platforms to the appropriate mobile device. Activate the app on the company webpage by choosing a username, a password, and by providing an email address.