Operating as CST Brands, the retail business chain for Valero Energy offers a multitude of opportunities at nearly 1,900 stores throughout the American Southwest. Employing approximately 12,000 workers, the company continually seeks to add new associates to match new expansion.
Facts About Working at Valero
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Valero?)
Available Positions: Store Associate, Shift Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Maintenance Technician
Valero Job Opportunities
Offering a range of products through each convenience store location, including a line of signature or private-label products, Valero emphasizes strong customer service in order to compete with similar franchises. Potential employees should demonstrate strong interpersonal capabilities, desire to work multiple types of shifts, and the ability to work well in a team. Most entry-level employees find work with the gas station and convenience store chain in a customer service or food service capacity. In order to qualify for either, candidates must stand at least 17 years of age.
Valero values long-lasting relationships with employees and continually encourages associates to pursue careers with the company. Associates may enjoy opportunities in career-minded positions as assistant and store managers. The chain utilizes a management development program to promote from within. Managers should exemplify strong leadership, demonstrate excellent customer service techniques, and must continually motivate subordinate employees to meet company sales goals. Candidates with extensive retail experience from outside the company may wish to apply, as well.
Valero Positions and Salary Information
With the high possibility of turnover, Valero consistently seeks to onboard new associates to fill a variety of positions. Any interested individual stands welcome to apply. However, additional retail experience remains favorable in order to fulfill the following positions:
Food Service Representative
- A food service representative prepares food products for daily sale within the convenience store chain.
- Responsible for adhering to safe food standards and the overall cleanliness of food prep areas, associates make a variety of signature label products, including fresh baked goods, for customer consumption.
- Employees must demonstrate the ability to stand for long durations as well as continually bend, twist, lift, and kneel throughout the day.
- Food service representatives must interact with customers in friendly demeanors during scheduled shifts.
- The position generally yields around $9.00 an hour.
Customer Service Representative
- With responsibilities focused on serving customers effectively, employees working as customer service representatives regularly interact with consumers, assist in making selections, and restock merchandise.
- Other duties may include operating registers, taking accurate inventory, and unloading shipments from trucks.
- Employees also may need to perform daily cleaning, sweeping, and mopping.
- Additionally, workers must adhere to state and federal regulations regarding the sale of alcohol and tobacco.
- A customer service representative typically earns between minimum wage and $9.00 an hour.
- Managers must display consistent leadership, communication, and customer service skills in order to effectively lead teams of workers.
- Generally requiring more stringent education backgrounds and a focus on experience, managers in the gas station and convenience store chain remain responsible for all administrative aspects of the individual store.
- In addition, most supervisors post daily reports to corporate leadership, prepare cash deposits, and lead employees in inventory.
- Management candidates may earn promotion from within through the company management development program, though hiring from the outside also remains a sincere possibility.
- Assistant managers may perform much of the same responsibilities of an absent store manager, as well.
- Managers retain the earning capacity of up to $50,000 annually.
- Salary options typically depend upon previous experience.
Tips for Applying
Job seekers may apply either online or at preferred stores. When applying online, candidates should gather and prepare relevant hiring materials together before beginning the application process. Fill out all materials with consistency, accuracy, and ensure information remains timely, as well. When applying in person, asking to hand in a completed application to a manager on duty may provide an opportunity to interact with hiring personnel and may even guarantee an interview at a later time and date.
Most human resource recruiters tend to get back to applicants soon after receiving submissions for employment. Within one to two weeks, if still not contacted, candidates may wish to reach out to hiring personnel directly, through either phone, email, or in person. When calling the preferred store of hire, remember to utilize politeness and discretion in order to show genuine interest in the position applied for. When visiting a store in person, ask to speak to a manager, though remain aware other responsibilities may dictate whether or not a supervisor remains available. Try to arrive at off-peak hours in order to show respect for the time of the manager, as well.
Benefits of Working at Valero
Along with competitive pay scales and flexible scheduling, Valero employees may qualify for additional work benefits. Eligible employees may receive health care coverage, including medical, dental, and vision plans as well as life insurance and disability coverage. Paid vacations, holiday pay, and sick time also remain possibilities for most full-time employees. Certain workers may gain access to:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Tuition reimbursement, and
- Quarterly bonuses
Further Information about Valero
Valero believes in assisting others in need through charitable donations of both time and money. Through CST Brands and the convenience chain Corner Store, the company partners with a variety of noble causes to help in fundraising efforts. Some causes include Children’s Miracle Network, Muscular Dystrophy Association, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, and the United Way. Additionally, employees donate over 130,000 total hours each year in volunteering across various communities the chain serves.