The growing telecomm industry features outstanding opportunities to find work. Applicants regularly find customer service and sales positions with corporations like Verizon, which maintains more than 175,000 employees and service areas connecting over 300 million people in the U.S.
Facts About Working at Verizon Wireless
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Verizon?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Customer Service Representative, Rep-Retail Sales, Service Technician, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Intern-Business Sales, Entry-Level Quality Assurance Tester, Human Resources Representative, Financial Analyst, Sales Manager
Verizon Wireless Interview Videos
Verizon Wireless Job Opportunities
As a major provider of wireless services, Verizon offers nationwide coverage and the popular 4G LTE network, which hosts millions of subscribers across the country. The broad scope of the communications firm allows workers to find jobs in retail, customer service, call center, distribution, and corporate capacities. Employment opportunities regularly include entry-level work in retail stores located in busy shopping centers and malls as well as centralized call center offices. Applicants in urban and suburban areas with dense populations generally find the most telecomm jobs available with the nationwide wireless provider due to sheer distribution of services in high concentrations.
New-hire employees should understand the importance of innovative spirit to the telecomm company. Verizon conducts hiring for individuals who understand the latest technological trends in mobile devices and services with highly personable attitudes and pleasant demeanors. Many sales positions available require associates to upsell additional services or accessories, which may involve tactics learned only from personal experience in similar professional settings. Applicants must hold at least one year of relevant experience, with the skills developed within the last five years. Familiarity with technology, both software and hardware, proves crucial for employment, as well.
Verizon Employment and Pay Scales
In addition to professional experience, applicants must hold high school diplomas and stand at least 18 years of age to receive hiring consideration. Associates receive competitive pay, exclusive work benefits packages, and in-store discounts on merchandise and services. Accessible employment telecomm jobs include:
- The most accessible entry-level position available, sales associate jobs primarily involve customer service duties.
- Workers greet patrons, listen to customer needs, and try to fit shoppers with personalized services and devices.
- The position generally involves full-time hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Commission plays a factor in overall hourly pay scales.
- Typical pay for sales associates starts out at $10.50 per hour and rises to more than $20.00 with experience.
Customer Service Representative
- Verizon customer service representatives customarily work in company call centers and provide patrons with troubleshooting and general knowledge regarding account balances, billing and processing, upgrades, and available services.
- The entry-level job features no formal qualifications for employment consideration.
- Patient individuals able to work in sometimes stressful conditions regularly excel as customer service representatives.
- The job title also requires workers to assume varied schedules, which extend through nights, weekends, and holiday seasons, as well.
- Customer service representatives may make anywhere from $12.00 to $20.00 an hour.
- Each division of retail and customer service requires teams of managers to enforce company protocol, motivate entry-level employees, set schedules, and drive sales.
- Background experience in retail sales and leadership proves vital to gaining employment as a Verizon manager.
- Strong, confident, and dedicated workers represent ideal fits for managerial roles.
- Both retail and customer service managers must possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to diffuse potentially high-stress situations.
- Managers regularly earn annual salary options starting at $40,000, with pay scales increasing to more than $80,000 with experience gained.
Tips For Applying
Applicants looking to work for the prominent telecomm company should expect the interview process to last anywhere from one and five weeks, depending on the position desired. Entry-level jobs typically take the least amount of time to secure, but often require one or two in-person interviews to gain employment. Managerial roles may put candidates through four or more weeks of review prior to official hiring. Applicants should prepare hiring materials before entering data into online application forms or before attending personal interviews with recruitment staff. Preparations such as reviewing work histories, practicing explaining desires and motives for working at the firm, or mock interviewing with friends or family to practice professional and enthusiastic attitudes all serve as appropriate means of readying for formal recruitment.
Using the online application and careers portal accessible by username and password, job seekers may check on the status of outstanding hiring forms. The telecomm firm generally updates hiring status and confirms receipt of applications via the online platform. Users also typically receive emails in confirmation of submitted hiring forms.
Benefits of Working at Verizon
Employees and dependents of current associates gain access to what Verizon dubs the Total Rewards program. Employment benefits available range from career development and paid training programs, financial planning assistance, such as:
- 401(k) retirement plans and bonus incentives, and
- Discounts on company merchandise and
- Services to medical, dental, and
- Disability coverage, personal, holiday, and vacation time
- Employee assistance programs
- Tuition assistance, and emergency leaves of absences.
The communications company also offers discounted memberships to several popular gyms and fitness centers throughout the country.
Additional Information on Verizon
Verizon Wireless tailors services to residential and commercial entities alike. The 4G LTE, or Long-Term Evolution, network provides high-speed internet and mobile-to-mobile connections in nearly every part of the contiguous United States. Retail stores, schools, hospitals, and private citizens may access the expansive digital network via smart phones, traditional phones, tablets, and computers.