A mid-priced chain of department stores, Von Maur offers ideal settings for new and experienced job seekers alike to find meaningful employment in the retail industry. Workers encounter part-time and full-time roles offering flexible hours, competitive pay, and discounts on merchandise sold in store.
Facts About Working at Von Maur
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Von Maur?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Alterations Associate/Tailor, Cosmetic Sales Associate, Customer Service Desk Associate, Desktop Support Associate, Digital Assistant, Dock Associate, Gift Wrap Associate, Human Resources Assistant, Loss Prevention Associate, Merchandise Processor, New Accounts Associate, Stock and Housekeeping Associate, Photo Editor, Production Editor, Selling Department Manager, Cosmetic Counter Manager, Truck Driver, Visual Merchandiser, Assistant Manager, Store Manager
Von Maur Employment Outlook
Von Maur gains notoriety for operations in large malls or outdoor retail centers. Traditionally anchoring popular shopping centers, the department store chain offers wide varieties of mid- and up-market goods. Product lines largely include fashion-related items, such as handbags, clothing, fragrances, shoes, and cosmetics. Most locations sell jewelry, as well. Sales represent the bulk of operations and require associates to offer recommendations, direct customers to appropriate departments, and consistently meet department quotas in order to thrive. Personality and product knowledge regularly factor into overall hiring decisions.
The busy surroundings most locations occupy demand excellent time management and interpersonal skills. Applicants able to work both independently and as part of teams embody highly qualified prospects. Individuals looking for available department store jobs must possess excellent sales skills and enjoy working with the general public. Von Maur began in the late 1800s and honors the tradition of the company for excellent service. Applicants must treat customers like family and establish lasting rapports with patrons in order to perform to expectations. Daily responsibilities place customers at the center of attention, with catering to individual needs and demands among the highest operational priorities.
Von Maur Job Opportunities and Wages
Unlike most department stores, Von Maur allows individuals as young as 16 to gain employment in entry-level roles. However, most managerial positions require applicants 18 and over with relevant experience and high school diplomas. Persistence and proven work ethics open associates up to career advancement opportunities featuring lucrative salary options and job benefits packages. Widely available positions sit listed below:
- Von Maur sales associates receive specific assignment in designated areas and promote products and services in friendly, genial manners.
- While managers may sometimes look favorably upon workers with employment backgrounds, the chain traditionally imposes no real needs for retail or related experience.
- Work schedules include both part-time and full-time options and consist of greeting customers, recommending products, and ringing up purchases.
- Depending on assigned departments, associates may receive commissions on sales, which bump overall earnings from roughly $9.00 an hour at start up to as much as $14.00 or $15.00.
- Determined, persistent, and friendly individuals with basic math skills satisfy a majority of inherent qualities the Midwest chain of retail stores looks for in new sales associates.
- Specific knowledge of certain product lines may also aid chances of employment.
- In order to qualify for loss prevention jobs, applicants must pass through security checks, background clearances, and drug screening.
- Workers must also prove trustworthy, dependable, and quick-thinking during hiring sessions.
- Loss prevention associates mostly work full-time.
- Duties include protecting company assets, maintaining peace, and resolving customer conflicts.
- Some paperwork and logging of daily events requires basic writing skills and the ability to use computers.
- The regional department store pays loss prevention associates between $13.00 and $15.00 per hour, in most cases.
- Senior-level opportunities may become available through proven performance and tenure with the company.
- Also providing full-time career options, Von Maur managerial roles include department manager, assistant department manager, and store manager.
- Assistant department managers act as supervisors primarily in control of staffing, scheduling, and supervising entry-level workers.
- Department managers track sales and motivate sales teams in addition to training associates on new product lines and sales techniques.
- Store managers look after the profitability and presence of each location, with daily duties ranging from ordering products and supplies and visual merchandising to coordinating shipments and reporting sales and losses to company regional and/or corporate offices.
- Managers work full-time, in most cases, and bring in anywhere from $13.00 per hour to more than $60,000 annual salary.
Tips For Applying
As a company heavily invested in fashion, the popular department store often hires individuals with trendy personalities and polished appearances. Applicants should prepare resumes with fashion in mind and highlight any experiences lending to knowledge of current trends in the industry. Entry-level job seekers should also possess open availability, as the retailer regularly places new-hires into varying schedules immediately, with options for more traditional and set schedules available to workers with seniority.
Individuals looking for entry-level employment with the nationally renowned department store spend only a few days going through the hiring process, in most cases, while managerial candidates regularly spend two or three weeks going through the necessary procedures. The retail chain generally contacts prospective workers to set up interviews by telephone. Workers should expect calls to take place within a week of submitting hiring forms. In some cases, applicants may not receive immediate consideration due to large volumes of viable workers. In either case, committed job seekers should call, email, or visit desired locations to show dedication and enthusiasm at the prospect of joining existing staffs.
Benefits of Working at Von Maur
Work benefits packages largely center on balancing career obligations and personal ambitions, with future planning and monetary incentives available to qualified individuals. Basic employment benefits include merchandise discounts, flexible scheduling options, and ongoing training.
Workers also become eligible for health insurance options, including:
- Vision, and prescription drug plans
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Paid sick days
- Vacation, and personal leaves of absences, and
- Life insurance
The department store also offers premium pay for select days of the week and holidays off.
More Information on Von Maur
Aside from clothing, jewelry, and collectibles, Von Maur stores sell varied and unique lines of specialty foods and gift items. Notable products include signature dips, candies, mixes, and gourmet snacks from brands like Stonewall, Creative Cookie, and an in-house line of products. Customers may find the specialty foods in specific sections of each location or online using the company web store.