The Vons network of grocery stores serves much of Southern California and parts of Nevada. Despite operating as a regional chain, the supermarket continues to grow and boasts more than 325 locations across the American Southwest. The grocery retailer needs to hire on new and motivated individuals to keep up with continued growth, which include opportunities in entry-level positions as well as store and department management.
Facts About Working at Vons
Hiring Age: years old (How old do you have to be to work at Vons?)
Available Positions: Bagger, cashier, clerk, courtesy clerk, manager, stocker
Vons Employee Interview Videos
Vons Job Opportunities
The unique demographics surrounding Vons supermarkets greatly influence services provided and employment opportunities available. The grocer primarily caters to upscale and culturally diverse customer bases. Stores feature high-quality choices of produce, deli items, meats, seafood, cheeses, and general grocery products. The regional chains sources many foods from local farmers. Applicants looking for work with the grocery store need to possess some knowledge of organic goods, food allergens, and popular brand names in addition to general grocery knowledge in order to best serve the ethnic cross-sections of patrons who frequent the Southwest supermarket.
Applicants must also frequently possess the ability to speak both English and Spanish in order to work at Vons. Although the supermarket does not expressly require applicants to possess bilingual abilities, workers able to communicate effectively in both Spanish and English often receive additional hiring consideration. Many part-time and full-time time positions ask applicants to stand in good health in order to assume available roles, as well. Job seekers also typically need to work varied schedules upon hire.
Vons Employment and Salary Information
The prominent, regional grocery store chain asks applicants to only submit applications if standing 18 years or older. Full-time careers and entry-level positions feature flexible scheduling options, competitive pay for the supermarket industry, and access to excellent resources conducive to personal and professional growth. Vons regularly needs to hire for the following jobs:
- Primary job duties include ringing up customer purchases, processing various payment forms, and answering shopper inquiries about Vons products and services.
- Hourly pay rates for cashiers hover around $12.00 on average.
- Prospective cashiers should also show strong customer service skills, as workers regularly interact with shoppers at the front area of Vons stores.
- Key duties include greeting customers, bagging groceries, and assistance customers with taking purchases to their vehicles.
- A Vons grocery store clerk also needs the ability to stand, crouch, bend, and walk around from an entire shift.
- Hourly pay for a Vons store clerk ranges from minimum wage to $9.00 an hour.
- Specific responsibilities vary by department but most assistant store managers supervise entry-level employees, set schedules, interact with customers to ensure satisfaction with purchases and services, and process payroll.
- At start, most assistant store managers earn between $40,000 and $50,000 per year. Annual salary options increase as workers assume Vons store manager positions, which pay between $60,000 and $80,000 annually
- Vons managers must possess at least a high school diploma and stand 18 or older at time of hire.
Tips For Applying
The application process varies slightly by position, department, and specific field. Applicants in search of entry-level retail jobs typically only go through a handful of procedures to gain employment. Screening for pharmacy positions and careers in management require far more extensive review from hiring personnel. Log on to the company website to check out the qualifications for each positions before submitting an application to get a better idea of the potential steps used to onboard new employees from one title to the next.
A typical entry-level applicant receives a call back to interview within a week or so. Pharmacy job seekers and aspiring managers may wait up to a month. If no communications take place before then, place a call or make a formal store visit to check on the outstanding documents. Applicants can check on the status of applications via personal careers profiles, as well. The profiles are required in order to fill out electronic hiring forms.
Benefits of Working at Vons
The Southern-California-based grocery store chain offers a myriad of work benefits to associates upon hire. Part-time and full-time employees receive options for varied schedules, discounts on products and services, complimentary nametags and uniforms, and access to job benefits packages sponsored by parent Safeway. Vons employment benefits packages include 401(k) retirement plans, paid time off, healthcare options and prescription drug coverage, life insurance, employee assistance programs, and career education programs. Stock purchase plans also exist for qualified team members.
More Information on Vons
Dating back to the early 1900s, Vons continues to serve as a watermark and innovator in the grocery store industry. Surviving the Great Depression-era and several economic recessions, the California-based grocer adapts to the times in order to continue successes. One of the most recent innovations into the overall business model of the supermarket chain includes the offer of delivery services accessible online. Shoppers may place orders for products and goods via the company website. The Southwest supermarket offers same-day delivery on orders placed before 8:30am. A small fee applies to most deliveries, although customers may take advantage of regular promotions for free service.