Walgreens is a leading health, drug, and daily living retailer. Found across the country, it has over 8,000 locations, and is headquartered in Chicago, IL.
Facts About Working at Walgreens
Minimum Age to Work at Walgreens: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Walgreens?)
Walgreens Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 8:00am-10:00pm; Sat: 8:00am-10:00pm; Sun: 8:00am-10:00pm
Available Positions at Walgreens: Cashier, custodian, district manager, manager, pharmacy technician, photo specialist, sales associate
Walgreens Employee Interview Videos
Listen to former employees discuss working at Walgreens:
Walgreens Job Opportunities
Most locations also carry wellness products, beauty essentials, and groceries. Other areas of the stores include photo printing centers. Each department needs to be staffed by friendly, courteous, and outgoing workers. Walgreens hires employees to operate cash registers, help customers locate items, and promote in-store savings programs.
The health care chain employs over 200,000 workers. Entry-level applicants work in numerous customer service roles as well as in pharmacy centers. These careers are both full-time and part-time and qualify for benefits and opportunities to advance to manager roles at Walgreens.
Walgreens Positions and Salary Information
To qualify for full-time or part-time work with Walgreens, applicants must be 16 years old. Job hopefuls do not need prior experience, but those pursuing employment in photography and pharmacy must meet certain standards. Read about them here:
- Associates are entry-level and make about $9.00 an hour.
- Working registers, stocking, and keeping stores clean are the main demands of this job.
- Walgreens promotes from within the company, and this starting career usually leads to raises and advancements.
- Take a look at the Walgreens sales associate job description.
- Technicians assist pharmacists, helping fill prescriptions and interacting with patients.
- Once hired, associates receive paid training and become certified.
- While workers at Walgreens only have to be 16 years old, employees in the pharmacies are required to be 18 or older.
- Candidates must also show some knowledge of the field and pass training and background checks. Salary packages begin at $11.00 hourly.
- Walgreens employees in this department take in-store and online orders, process pictures, and aid customers with photo kiosks.
- Training takes place after the hiring process to teach associates how to use the equipment.
- Hourly wages begin at $9.00.
- Applicants for these positions are valued if they are tech-savvy and confident.
- Shift leader and manager trainee positions help supervise associates.
- Assistant managers and store managers hire, train, and schedule staff and focus on keeping stores profitable.
- Managers in training and shift leaders make between $12.00 and $16.00 an hour.
- Assistant store managers earn annual salary options between $35,000 and $40,000, while store managers have annual pay rates up to $70,000.
- Read the Walgreens manager job description to see more information on available managerial careers.
Tips for Applying
Application forms and job openings can be found on Walgreens website, LinkedIn page, and in stores. To apply online, users create accounts with the company. After submitting forms, applicants have to visit store locations to complete skills assessments. This must be done in person before the hiring process.
Job Application Status
Hiring managers review applications and assessments before contacting job hopefuls. In-store interviews follow. This process takes less than three weeks. Contacting stores directly and checking back with online profiles can also be effective.
Job Benefits at Walgreens
Walgreens employment benefits include:
- Store discounts
- Paid time off
- Paid vacation
- Sick time
- Medical insurance
- Life insurance
- Prescription coverage
Eligible workers can also be enrolled in 401(k) retirement plans.
Additional Information about Walgreens
Partnering with the AARP, the Way to Well Heath Tour is a traveling program that brings free health testing, education, and consultations to underprivileged communities. Walgreens associates journey the country and offer aid to adults ages 18 and up. This program provides access to health care for people who normally go without.