Wegmans believes in hiring the best workers. The grocery store maintains a network of over 100 locations across the Northeast United States, and part-time and full-time positions frequently spring up companywide. Different from other supermarkets, Wegmans feels like an indoor collection of specialty street vendors rather than a series of aisles. Each department requires highly knowledgeable team members focused on providing customers with individualized service. Though necessary skills and knowledge differ from department to department, all associates need to share the same positive, highly motivated attitudes that make the grocery market a success.
Facts About Working at Wegmans
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Wegmans?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Grocery Clerk, Customer Service Clerk, Produce Clerk, Bakery Clerk, Frozen Food Clerk, Meat Clerk, Deli Counter Clerk, Stock Clerk, Receiver, Dishwasher, Pharmacy Technician, Truck Driver, Warehouse Product Selector, Fleet Maintenance Mechanic, Bakeshop General Help, Service Team Leader, Product Selector, Table Busser - Customer Service, Department Manager, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Human Resources Coordinator
Printable Application: No. Search Job Openings or visit official site.
Wegmans Job Opportunities
In-store careers exist in three key areas: store operations, culinary and hospitality, and talent management. Store operations offers the most career opportunities for entry-level workers. Job hopefuls may find work in areas like customer service, perishable foods, pharmacy services, merchandising, and receiving. Culinary and hospitality department offer an assortment of careers for aspiring and established chefs as well as entry-level workers looking for cafe and deli jobs. Management opportunities include department manager, store manager, category merchant, and sous chef positions. Job prospects also exist outside within distribution, manufacturing, and the company corporate offices.
The supermarket chain creates working environments in which store associates look forward to walking through the door every day. The favorable atmospheres begin with the core values of respect and care executed through employee development programs, quality base wages and salary options, and excellent employment benefits. Wegmans strives for ongoing employee satisfaction and continually ranks as one of FORTUNE magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For. Anyone interested in joining the team should apply online to earn immediate hiring consideration with the supermarket chain.
Wegmans Employment and Salary Options
Workers as young as 15 years old may gain employment for most entry-level service positions. Other positions set age requirements at 18 or 21 years of age. Once hired, employees enjoy competitive pay rates and ample opportunities for promotions. Wegmans often promotes from within, and crew members beginning in entry-level jobs may progress into upper-level management or skilled culinary positions. Below lists common store jobs and accompanying pay scales:
- A frontend position, cashier entails interacting with customers and handling money.
- Cashiers need to perform all steps in the checkout process, including scanning products, bagging items, and accepting various forms of payment.
- When handling cash payments, cashiers need to make accurate change, specifically avoiding overages or shortages.
- Aside from performing the checkout process, cashiers need to assist customers in locating products, provide carry-out assistance, and clean and organize store frontend areas.
- Cashiers should possess the ability to work varying shifts throughout a week.
- A cashier may earn between $8.00 and $11.00 an hour.
- Cooks work in store culinary departments and create restaurant-quality foods.
- The position includes three tiers of responsibility, with job titles including cook I, cook II, and cook III.
- Cook II and III focus on production, where workers primarily prepare ingredients and core recipes and package meals.
- Additionally, cooks II and III need to serve customers and perform merchandising functions.
- Cook I serves as a team leader. Official duties include delegating job duties, training new team members, and creating work schedules.
- Though primarily management focused, Cook I often requires workers to assist in food preparation.
- Chef and sous chef positions rank as high-level food preparation positions that cooks may someday advance into.
- Food production occurs around the clock and includes daytime and overnight shifts.
- Wages vary by level. The average pay rate for a cook stands at $10.50 per hour.
Deli Customer Service
- Deli customer service entails providing impeccable customer service at the deli counter.
- Workers need to skillfully slice meats and cheeses and maintain product levels at the service counter.
- Logging food preparation times and rotating products to ensure freshness prove essential to the job.
- When new products shipments arrive, deli customer service associates need to unload trucks, breaking down orders, and stock coolers and cases.
- Organizational skills, product knowledge, and cooking skills act as base requirements for deli service jobs.
- The ideal candidate should possess a flexible work schedule and the ability to work in fast-paced environments.
- Deli customer service jobs typically pay about $9.00 an hour.
Tips For Applying
Wegmans grocery stores operate regionally, which allows job seekers to find work in varied locales. Applicants should research positions available by accessing the online careers page prior to filling out hiring forms to ensure a strong fit with the company. A majority of supermarket jobs involve repetitive motions and recurring tasks. Workers should enjoy staying busy and be able to offer assistance to other employees, regardless of department, if called upon.
Job hopefuls can check on the statuses of applications easily. The first two methods aspirants use most include calling or visiting storefronts after submitting employment requests. Individuals applying online must create user profiles, which automatically update candidates on hiring statuses as soon as decisions are made. Regularly logging into an individual account is a hassle-free way for applicants to know where they stand in hiring pools. However, calling or visiting Wegmans stores offer more direct, personable avenues for following up on applications, which may sit better with recruitment managers and lead to preferential treatment.
Benefits of Working for Wegmans
Wegmans values employees at all levels and encourages the individuals to enjoy healthier, fuller lives. The supermarket chain supports associates, both part-time and full-time crew members, by offering work benefits packages. To support employee health, Wegmans provides affordable healthcare coverage, dental coverage, and pre-tax spending accounts. For additional wellbeing, the supermarket offers paid time off, disability benefits, life insurance, and adoption assistance. The grocery store also aids in employee retirement by providing 401(k) plans along with a company retirement plan. Associates in school may apply for the annual scholarship competition, as well. Certain eligibility requirements may need satisfied in order to earn certain job benefits.
Added Information on Wegmans
Every month, Wegmans hosts Menu Cooking Events, which teach guests how to cook fresh, delicious meals. Guests may watch informative demonstrations conducted by skilled chefs or participate in hands-on classes. Menu Cooking Events are available to kids and adults of varying skill levels, so everyone can learn basic culinary skills. The grocery store also offers culinary camps for teens. An esteemed course, available culinary camps entertain participants from across the country. Many teens that graduate from Culinary Teen Camp move on to culinary institutes or pursue jobs at Wegmans stores.
Porshia Hill says:
Yes I have worked at Wegmans. I was a front end cashier in the year 2000-2001 at the age of 15 years old. I would be very interested in working with Wegmans again. I felt that Wegmans taught me to have a good work ethic, and its a great place to start for employment. You learn leadership great customer service and team work. I would be honored to work with the Wegman family again.
Vincent Mascato says:
Yes I have worked at Wegmans before.
I worked at the Wegmans in Liverpool.
I enjoyed working at Wegmans very much.