With more than 160 stores serving customers in five different states, Weis Markets boasts a workforce of roughly 18,000 entry-level associates and experienced grocery retail professionals. The regional chain of supermarkets maintains such an impressive workforce by hiring new employees on a near constant basis. Job seekers considering working for the grocery store chain can apply online for employment opportunities ranging from part-time cashier and clerk positions to full-time supermarket management careers.
Facts About Working at Weis Markets
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Weis Markets?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Bagger, Stock Clerk, Meat Cutter, Baker, Building Maintenance Technician, Office Clerk, Loss Prevention Store Detective, Grocery/Frozen Food Leader, Internal Auditor, Pharmacy Technician, Staff Pharmacist, Retail Pricing Analyst, Department Manager, Assistant Manager, Store Manager/Store Director
Weis Markets Job Opportunities
Entry-level associates often work at frontend checkout stations or backroom storage areas. Employees working at frontend checkout stations usually serve as cashiers or baggers, while entry-level stockers carry out job duties primarily at the back of the supermarket. Although previous work experience generally proves unnecessary in landing entry-level jobs, Weis Markets makes possession of a high school diploma a hiring requirement for most positions. The grocery retailer lists job vacancies and provides an online application form at the company website.
Candidates with multiple years of experience working in the grocery retail industry frequently qualify for available management positions. Weis Markets hires team leaders and supervisors, department managers, assistant managers, and a store director at each supermarket location. Managerial applicants often join the workforce as trainees and, via extensive on-job training, learn the skills necessary to work as managers. In addition to hiring associates to fill entry-level and managerial jobs in-store, the regional grocery retail chain hires qualified candidates to work at corporate offices, distribution centers, and manufacturing plants in Pennsylvania.
Weis Markets Positions and Salary Information
Entry-level jobs and management careers both feature competitive pay as well as employment benefits like flexible schedules ideal for student workers, extensive training and development, and friendly work environments. Employees may work either part-time or full-time, with full-time hours most often restricted to managers and other senior associates. Prospective workers interested in Weis Markets jobs should download the application online and submit the completed form to secure hiring consideration for positions like:
Customer Service Representative
- Stationed at the frontend of stores along with cashiers and baggers, customer service representatives work primarily at the courtesy counter and fulfill the requests of shoppers taking advantage of the wide range of services offered.
- Job duties often include processing online grocery orders, filling money orders, and handling questions about store policies.
- Customer service representatives also answer the phone and sometimes work as cashiers when the need arises.
- The entry-level job features hourly pay rates typically hovering between $8.00 and $9.00.
- Cashiers work in the same area of the supermarket as customer service representatives and also interact with shoppers regularly.
- The entry-level position involves operating scanning equipment and cash registers, processing coupons and payments, and bagging customer purchases as needed.
- Workers serving as cashiers also need to have knowledge of weekly advertisements and special promotions in order to answer questions properly.
- Weis Markets generally pays cashiers between $7.00 and $8.00 an hour.
- Ranging from team leader and supervisor jobs up to store director positions, supermarket management careers entail a wide variety of responsibilities.
- Managers develop and administer budgets and sales plans, maintain the attractive appearance of the store, hire and supervise entry-level workers, and hold all store associates to high standards of professionalism.
- Management positions also involve administrative tasks, such as setting work schedules, tracking and ordering inventory, and taking care of payroll.
- Applicants should have strong leadership skills and previous grocery retail experience.
- Pay scales start around $12.00 per hour for leaders and supervisors and range up to $75,000 annual salary for store directors.
Tips For Applying
Weis Markets job hopefuls sit through extensive interviews. Prepare to spend anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes with hiring personnel during each session. The meetings take place onsite and may involve tours of the facility grounds. Ready answers to basic interview questions prior to filling out an application and rehearse the responses to demonstrate preparedness while interviewing. Submitting hiring forms directly to managers may result in immediate consideration, which greatly benefits applicants who have properly prepared.
Most applicants wait between a couple of days and a couple of weeks to hear back from hiring managers. After submitting applications, workers should make an effort to follow up on the documents. The most effective ways to check on application status include calling supervisors in charge of hiring or visiting the managers in person. Electronic application submitters usually receive emails showing status updates; however, the personal and direct methods of calling or visiting stores shows greater commitment.
Benefits of Working at Weis Markets
In addition to flexible scheduling, competitive pay scales, and quality job training, eligible workers enjoy access to comprehensive employment benefits packages. Job benefits packages feature:
- Medical insurance plans
- Vision and dental care
- Prescription drug coverage, and
- Life insurance
Additional employee benefits available to qualified associates include paid holidays and personal days, vacation time, 401(k) retirement plans, and annual incentive programs.
Further Information on Weis Markets
Weis Markets strives to give customers a one-stop shopping experience. Besides featuring a comprehensive range of grocery store departments, such as bakery, deli, and seafood, each supermarket location offers pharmacy services and employs certified nutritionists to help shoppers make healthier purchase decisions. For added convenience, the supermarket chain also enables customers to order groceries online for pickup.