Whataburger rivals many other popular hamburger chains in the fast food industry and serves thousands of patrons each day. The American restaurant primarily operates in the U.S. South and encompasses a network of nearly 740 locations, which employ a sizable workforce to maintain operations.
Facts About Working at Whataburger
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Whataburger?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Team Member, Team Leader, Assistant Manager, General Manager
Whataburger Interview Videos
Whataburger Job Opportunities
Job seekers looking for part-time or full-time employment with the regional burger chain may take interest in available positions. Most jobs feature flexible hours and competitive base pay. Applicants moving up to or able to assume managerial roles based off of experience may also take advantage of work benefits packages. The fast food restaurant serves traditional fast food menu items, including hamburgers and fries primarily. Customers enjoy fast and friendly service provided by teams of staff who take orders, prepare meals, and offer assistance in any way possible. Managers reinforce the expectations of fast and friendly service in addition to executing various administrative tasks. Room for growth within the burger chain also includes careers in the company corporate offices.
Whataburger primarily looks for dependable individuals with reliable means of transportation and honest work ethics to assume entry-level roles. The popular hamburger retailer consistently features drive-thru services at select locations, which require prompt, diligent, and courteous persons to perform corresponding tasks. At most, the regional restaurant chain imposes minimum hiring ages of 16 in order to gain employment. Managers must also meet basic academic and professional requirements, such as holding high school diplomas and possessing years of related experience in the fast food industry.
Whataburger Employment and Salary Options
Whataburger jobs stand readily available throughout much of the United States. Applicants in the Southern U.S. and individuals looking to relocate and begin careers in the fast food industry should fill out the required forms for employment consideration. The fast food chain needs to hire for the following entry-level jobs and professional careers:
- Whataburger team members provide customer service support and prepare food at restaurant locations.
- Specific job duties include taking food and drink orders, cleaning work stations and dining areas, ringing up purchases, preparing food, manning drive-thru windows, restocking foods, unloading food shipments, and answering customer questions regarding menu items, policies, and services.
- Hardworking and dedicated applicants who display enthusiasm for the job often receive hiring consideration.
- No other formal hiring requirements exist for team member positions.
- Associates start out at minimum wage and receive up to $9.00 an hour.
- Most team members work part-time.
- The broad category of management includes several viable career options for motivated workers.
- Whataburger applicants in search of supervisory or managerial roles with the burger chain may choose from team leader, manager, and general manager job titles.
- Each position delves into administrative, supervisory, and clerical aspects of operations.
- Managerial responsibilities may include hiring and training employees, setting work schedules, placing food orders, driving sales, engaging customers to ensure satisfaction, and processing payroll.
- The fast food chain provides hourly pay between $8.00 and $10.00 for team leaders.
- On average, managers receive $35,000 to $45,000 in annual salary.
- General managers may earn upwards of $60,000 a year.
Tips For Applying
Teamwork, respect, and participation represent the three keys to daily operations at Whataburger restaurants. Be prepared to spend a majority of each shift on foot and around others. The ability to work quickly is undeniably important, as is the ability to perform duties accurately. Fast food workers must complete E-Verify documents as part of the process, as well. These forms confirm right to work in the United States.
Electronic application users must create online career profiles. These offer applicants the ability to check on hiring statuses with the simple click of a button. Individuals filling out paper applications must take more traditional routes, such as calling or visiting locations to follow up. Hiring decisions usually occur within a couple of days of submitting applications. However, reaching back out within 24 hours of turning the documents over shows determination and may result in further consideration.
Benefits of Working at Whataburger
Upon hire, Whataburger associates receive weekly pay and enjoy flexible work schedules, paid training, and opportunities for advancement into managerial and corporate careers. Employees also receive generous discounts on food and drink, oftentimes in the form of free meals. In addition to competitive pay scales and rewarding work environments, the regional restaurant provides both entry-level workers and managers with job benefits packages. The restaurant uses a gradient scale to distribute employee benefits, with team members receiving basic work benefits and general managers receiving the most comprehensive employment benefits.
Most employee benefits packages include:
- Healthcare coverage
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Leadership development programs
- Paid time off, and sick leave stand readily available to managers, as well
Further Details on Whataburger
The prominent fast food chain operates as a family-owned entity. Founded in the early 1950s by Harmon Dobson, Whataburger continues to carry on the intimate feel of original locations. The company operates under the care of Dobson’s offspring. Over the many decades in business, the restaurant chain made several changes to overall operations. The decision to institute 24/7 business plans vaulted the company into the fast food industry stratosphere during the 1970s and 1980s, during which the chain experienced widespread and rampant success. Since then, customers routinely enjoy the delicious foods found on the restaurant menu around the clock, including breakfast menus available from 11:00pm to 11:00am.