With over 500 stores in the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi, Winn Dixie employs more than 45,000 people. With many full-time and part-time jobs to fill at each location, there are usually numerous employment opportunities available.
Facts About Working at Winn Dixie
Minimum Age to Work at Winn Dixie: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Winn Dixie?)
Winn Dixie Hours of Operation: Open every day: 7:00am-12:00am
Available Positions at Winn Dixie: Cashier, clerk, customer service associate, department associate, department manager, night stocker
Winn-Dixie Interview VideosListen to former employees discuss working for Winn Dixie:
Winn-Dixie Job Opportunities
The vast majority of positions require frequent interactions with customers, so it’s a plus to be outgoing and confident when talking to strangers. Winn Dixie looks for people with the right skills and experiences to perform well in fast-paced environments. However, they also consider ability to fit in with the corporate culture and embrace working as a team.
Many jobs are assigned to a particular department within each store, but some do allow for floating throughout. Winn Dixie believes in cross-training, so new hires will likely be exposed to several departments before settling into their main roles. Taking initiative and demonstrating enthusiasm is often rewarded, as many managers began their careers in entry-level positions.
Winn-Dixie Employment Opportunities and Pay Scales
Most applicants should be at least 18 years old. Some positions may hire as young as 14, but there are restrictions on the number of hours worked and departments where they can be assigned. The following are common types of positions usually available at Winn Dixie stores:
Customer Service Associates
- Customer service associates provide continuous attention to customers and successfully resolve any issues or needs.
- They also perform cashier and pricing duties as necessary.
- Starting pay rates are between $8.00 and $9.00 per hour for Winn Dixie associates.
- With a starting hourly wage between $8.00 and $9.00, department associates work in any of the various divisions in Winn Dixie stores, including bakery, produce, deli, and seafood.
- They offer product suggestions when appropriate, and rotate department stock to ensure freshness.
- Most also use store equipment they must safely operate on a regular basis.
- Department managers are responsible for associate training, customer service, inventory, sales, financials, and more.
- They take ownership of the daily operations of their departments and are empowered to make merchandising and business decisions.
- Salary packages for Winn Dixie department managers can rise to around $30,000 annually.
Tips for Applying
Locations accept job applications in-store every day, and the company maintains an online career site. Management encourages candidates to apply online first then visit in-person to introduce themselves to store directors. Job seekers are advised to research Winn Dixie and the grocery business before submitting an application.
It can take several weeks after applying for job hopefuls to hear back from hiring managers. Candidates are advised to keep their profiles active in the online system after applying and to be prepared for an interview call. Winn Dixie conducts interviews by phone, by video, and in person.
Benefits of Working at Winn Dixie
For eligible employees, Winn Dixie offers employment benefits including:
- flexible scheduling
- competitive pay
- store discounts
- paid vacations and holidays
- medical insurance
- 401(k) retirement plans with company match
- tuition reimbursement.
More Information about Winn Dixie
Winn Dixie is a legendary name across the American South, its modern history beginning with the merger of several smaller grocery chains in the 1940s. Curiously, the driving forces behind the chain’s Southern dominance, the Davis family, actually began their grocery business in Idaho. They eventually moved to Florida and, following the mergers, all stores north of Georgia were closed.