Canadian off-price retailer Winners sells name-brand clothing and other goods at high-value price points. Individuals motivated to provide quality customer service and assist patrons in finding affordable options for stylish apparel often find relevant entry-level work opportunities through the company.
Facts About Working at Winners
Hiring Age: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Winners?)
Available Positions: Sales Associate, Key Holder, Manager, Merchandise Handler
Winners Job Opportunities
Founded in 1982, the company maintains over 300 stores throughout Canada. Consistent sales numbers driven by thriving consumer markets and appealing prices allow Winners to employ over 5,000 workers. Ample prospects for jobs with the retailer exist due to locations in busy settings rich with potential customers. Workers interact with clientele and aid shoppers in finding deals and attractive attire. Outlets normally sit in shopping malls or bustling urban areas, such as commercial plazas.
Winners prevailing methods of accumulating clothing entail buying goods continuously throughout the year to stay on top of trendy styles and bargain-priced specials. Job candidates should maintain personal knowledge about current fashion movements to best serve patrons with insightful style advice. Available merchandise often includes dresses, shoes, purses, and jewelry. Retail shops may also carry furniture, bedding, and other household products. Sales associates must remain aware of the existing selection of inventory to help customers find desired items.
Winners Salary and Employment Information
Winners hires confident individuals capable of handling difficult customers and taking pro-active roles in sales. Competitive job options typically include entry-level retail and stock positions for most workers. Employment in management capacities stands available for more experienced candidates, as well. The most common positions the company fills include:
- Primarily responsible for replenishing stock high-traffic store areas, store associates keep goods accessible for customers to purchase.
- Along with restocking the shelves, employees often must ready and process merchandise to go out to the selling floor, manage and organize new shipments, and take inventory on available items.
- Previous retail training, along with a minimum of one year of shipping and receiving experience, puts candidates in favorable positions to gain employment with Winners.
- Applicants also need to possess the physical strength to lift, move, and rearrange potentially heavy merchandise for extended periods of time.
- Store associates typically earn around $10.00 an hour.
- As the primary entry-level position with the company, sales associates offer assistance to customers in finding particular merchandise.
- Generally accessible with a high school diploma or a relevant work background, the fashion retail job remains an integral part of an environment designed to allow personable and friendly employees thrive.
- Workers must comply with customer requests in efficient manners.
- Cashier duties such as cash handling and bagging clothes also prove typical for the position.
- Frequently a part-time job, sales associate positions feature pay ranges between $9.00 and $12.00 per hour.
- Offering a lucrative opportunity for career-driven professionals to advance in the industry, the assistant manager position serves as a supplementary leadership role to the store manager post.
- Duties include expense control, training employees, and ensuring corporate standards remain upheld in store.
- Managers may also need to conduct interviews and review applications.
- Prior supervisory positions benefit applicants for the assistant manager position as well as over five years of retail management experience proves necessary for store managers.
- The average salary stands at about $40,000 annually for a full-time assistant manager, while store managers may earn upwards of $60,000 per year.
Tips For Applying
Applicants should present flexible availabilities, sales-driven attitudes, and trend-conscious fashion awareness. As much of the work involves cooperation between employees, the company favors job seekers able to function as members of cohesive teams. Though not always mandatory, candidates with college degrees traditionally fare better in applying to the business. Individuals may submit applications online and in person for most store positions. Job seekers unsure of which particular jobs appeal most, Winners allows work hopefuls to simply submit resumes for general consideration. The company generally hires job seekers 16 years of age and older for entry-level openings.
Hiring managers organize interviews with promising applicants to determine if the individuals meet staffing needs. Job seekers should wear business-casual attire to interviews. Respectful phone calls to hiring personnel and store visits remain acceptable methods of following up on the status of pending applications. Showing interest and persistence may also demonstrate commitment to an employer. The hiring process usually takes anywhere from a few days up to two weeks or a little longer.
Benefits of Working at Winners
Winners offers distinctive work benefits to attract the best employees. Along with comparable base pay and training options, tuition assistance stands available to employees continuing educational pursuits. Staff members interested in philanthropy and charity may obtain a paid-day-off for volunteer work. Stock purchase plans also exist for individuals seeking a week of additional vacation. Employees also enjoy discounts of 10% or more. Further benefits may become applicable to full-time management staff.
More Details on Winners
The off-price retail company became a subsidiary of TJX Companies Inc. in 1990. A public corporation, TJX employs over 150,000 workers through various subordinate businesses and frequently maintains a successful trend of upward revenue. In 2014, Forbes Magazine ranked TJX CEO Carol Meyrowitz as 76th on a list of the 100 most powerful women in the world. TJX also owns HomeGoods, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx, sometimes considered the American sister store to the Canadian discount chain. Winners headquarters rest in Mississauga, ON, Canada.